• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

inno

Reaction score
Well, I just placed my first order. Nothing fancy, just the classic blue Oxford with NOBD2 collar -- gonna keep it simple till the fit is fixed.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I ordered a suit on 30 January which arrived two days ago. I sent in a sport coat and a pair of pants (both attached to this post). Cloth is Dugdale Fine Worsted - Navy Plain
Quote:
All Customisations have been realised, however the shoulders could be a little bit more exuberant and I will probably shorten the sleeves. Also I was charged 235$ in taxes and duty fees. This hit me a little unexpectedly since this is my third Luxire order and I have never been charged on the other ones.

http://1drv.ms/1eYrsGG

Shirt and cuff links are also Luxire.

I see several issues here. Slim down and shorten the sleeves, reduce the back width, if you insist on the shoulder width, go with more shoulder padding, if you insist on the soft shoulder, reduce the shoulder width. The two button jacket you posted works better with this cut, the 3 roll 2 has too little space between the buttons imho. While the wide peak lapels work, I would reduce the width of the notch lapels and opt for less visible pick stitching.

Reduce the back rise of your trousers, this will get rid of the wrinkles below your seat.

Some of these things can be done by an alterationist.

The curved chest pocket looks nice.

bdbb

Reaction score

I think the issue may be less bdbb's total lack of awareness regarding the existence of countries other than the U.S. and more that many posters complaining about duties aren't all identifying their home country. So he's probably checking to see if any of the folks being charged duties are in the U.S. so he can gauge his risk of being charged a duty and factor that risk into the value proposition associated with the purchase.

Yes, that was exactly it, and stated in a much more polite way than the smartass post I considered but elected not to make.

And KingSPQ, I would second the suggestion to reduce the lapel width. There is something incongruous about them. It may be their width contrasted against your narrow face, or it could also be that you already look young and the wide lapels look dated or like something someone much older would wear, causing you to look even younger. If you're really dedicated to the wide lapels, either lift weights or get fat.

Last edited:

homespun

Reaction score
I had the same situation.
I also had the same problem with my last order on shipping to the US. Ordered the $99 micro blue gingham linen and had the price of the shirt listed as $199. Almost double the price.
Never had that occur with any of my previous orders.

KingPSQ

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I see several issues here. Slim down and shorten the sleeves, reduce the back width, if you insist on the shoulder width, go with more shoulder padding, if you insist on the soft shoulder, reduce the shoulder width. The two button jacket you posted works better with this cut, the 3 roll 2 has too little space between the buttons imho. While the wide peak lapels work, I would reduce the width of the notch lapels and opt for less visible pick stitching.

Reduce the back rise of your trousers, this will get rid of the wrinkles below your seat.

Some of these things can be done by an alterationist.

The curved chest pocket looks nice.

And KingSPQ, I would second the suggestion to reduce the lapel width. There is something incongruous about them. It may be their width contrasted against your narrow face, or it could also be that you already look young and the wide lapels look dated or like something someone much older would wear, causing you to look even younger. If you're really dedicated to the wide lapels, either lift weights or get fat.

Thanks to both of you for your recommendations. I will have the sleeve, body and back width as well as the sleeve length altered by a tailor locally.
I just can't get my head around why the shoulder width works on the sport coat but not on the suit jacket. However, I haven't compared measurements yet.
I also agree on the button stance. Whereas the sport coats' lower button is way underneath the pockets, on the replicated jacket they are on a dead level. Furthermore, you are right on the pick stitching which, irrespective of its workmanship that I appreciate a lot, was neither requested nor on the original jacket or any other reference photo.

On the other hand I will stick with wide lapels. I admit that they don't work perfectly in this execution, which in my opinion is due to the position of the lapel notch. Please have a look at the photo below and compare it to the original image. I have slimmed the sleeves, tapered the body, raised the lapel notch, increased the button stance and added my beloved roped shoulder on the left half of the picture (the right half of the suit). The right half has been left unchanged for comparison. Or maybe because I am too lazy.

Additionally I would favour no pick stitching and shorter sleeves et voilà there's the navy suit of my dreams.

What is your opinion?

I'll go and get fat now.

Last edited:

Turner

Reaction score
I just can't get my head around why the shoulder width works on the sport coat but not on the suit jacket. However, I haven't compared measurements yet.

Suppose either the padding is done differently (different form and position) or the Luxire jacket is cut for higher shoulders whereas the shoulders the Canali coat are cut with a steeper, which fits better to your shoulders. The sagging shoulders and padding push the fabric towards the middle back seam. It also looks like your right shoulder slope is steeper than the other. Or the coat is pressed very badly.

Shirter

Reaction score
I also had the same problem with my last order on shipping to the US. Ordered the $99 micro blue gingham linen and had the price of the shirt listed as $199. Almost double the price.
Never had that occur with any of my previous orders.

homespun: Was it indeed a problem? Were you charged any fee or tax? When my $59 shirt was listed as … whatever I said…about three times that…I was not charged an fee or tax, but I thought it was curious.

Further, is ANYone in the U.S. experiencing extra fees or taxes?

Nullson

Reaction score
Got my suit made with JJ Minnis 0576 in the mail today. The construction looks great. I will post pictures of the fit later.

Bakkerrr

Reaction score
Why would Luxire put a higher value on the receipt than the price you actually pay for it? That sounds strange!

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Added some premium fabric options for shirts:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads