• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's not talk about...

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The hendrix of yesteryear
DSC00308.jpg
The hendrix of the future
DSC01135.jpg
the hendrix is dead, long live the hendrix. probably because you stopped eating those "wheat *****" or whatever that cereal is in the background.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
the hendrix is dead, long live the hendrix.
probably because you stopped eating those "wheat *****" or whatever that cereal is in the background.

hahaha

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
What kind of pajamas do you wear?

Could be a thread of it's own! I wouldn't mind hearing some suggestions.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I'll play. Brands we should talk about more: Jun Hashimoto Lounge Lizard halb MA+ Nicolo Ceschi Berrini Dries van Noten (yet, we talk about MMM all of the time. Behold the power of Diesel group.)
We definitely should talk about NCB more. You down with NCB yeah you know me
Originally Posted by snowmanxl
Could be a thread of it's own! I wouldn't mind hearing some suggestions.
Like I said above, 16/20

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy

1. Hermes has a new store. Doesn't it look cozy? I don't know about the tiled floor, though. I think a thick-pile rug would work better with all of this plush furniture and wood tones. Rare is the department store that invites you to relax on a pile rug.

hermes-01.jpg

this certainly needs a nice rug.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would like to talk more about the pants tucked into socks into boots. I have been planning on doing this as soon as a) I buy some smartwool and b) as soon as it's cold enough.

I would also like to talk more about the ineffable style of Petar Petrov, and whether "dressing one's age" is even a real thing.

Additionally, I would request that we do not talk about raf simons or anything related to tron, because although it is awesome, I am already so close to the edge that I'm not sure I can handle it anymore.

But please, as per softy's other thread idea that should have come to immaculate fruition but didn't:

Can we talk about things that are technically not shirts that we can wear as shirts or in place of shirts, and the styling thereof?

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this excellent contribution, Synthese.
I was remiss in not making that much talked about thread.

So basically the idea is, what do we do when we want to wear something that is neither a button-down (button-up, side-button, fencing placket) shirt, but neither a short-sleeved tee-shirt? Let's knuckle down and discuss options that are somewhere in between. A button-down is in many cases too structured and constricting to be truly enjoyable, plus it is just the obvious go-to choice. It lacks in the creative freedom that women have in wearing tops. A tee-shirt, on the other hand, is an excess of sloppiness, and besides that there aren't very many good ones.

So what is one to do? Tanktops? I'm all for it. Henleys? Also interesting. What are some alternatives that fit this middle ground? Be specific, not general! I had a conversation with BB1 about elegantly-draping long-sleeve tees by Lad Musician. Robert Geller Seconds also seems to be an interesting concept.

Something that is knit or made out of jersey makes for a much more anatomical fit. I'm strongly in favor of wearing knitwear "naked" -- that is, with nothing else underneath save maybe a discreet undershirt for hygienic reasons.

I dunno, take it from here. I briefly owned an Agnes B silk henley in a wheat color that was pretty stellar.

In sum, throw off the shackles of button-down straitjackets!!

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also wanted to add that The Choosy Beggar has really gone downhill. Or has my taste changed? It seems to be littered with generic NYC Steven Alan style stuff and pseudo-advertisements these days. It used to really wet my whistle when he'd post missives about the Ervell sample sales and so on
Originally Posted by Synthese
I would also like to talk more about the ineffable style of Petar Petrov, and whether "dressing one's age" is even a real thing.
I dunno, don't you think there's something to be said for aging gracefully? You get your kicks in when young and pop out in all directions, try some blue DBSS sneakers, etc., etc., but there is intense beauty in restraint. Being inscrutably "shibui" can approach levels of sublimity. The thing about the full-on MC steeze guys is that they are unaware how much they seem like doddering old codgers in their bowties and tweeds and such. You can transition to what is formally known as "menswear" (i.e., not jeans and sneakers) while injecting a spirit of playfulness. Don't you think that in that sense, Schneider, Petrov, Marni, and Kim Jones' redo of Dunhill play to that? (Although per the lookbook styling, Marni is more of a late 20s cosmopolitan playboy thing -- they should do away with the extreme tapered pants, imo). Anyway, isn't this what our forum deity, berlin report, does when he wears a playfully colorful shirt and a terrier lapel pin? You can be anchored in menswear and still be playful without needing to run in the direction of rhinestone-encrusted hi-tops. At the very least, everyday people on the street will relate to you more. Although Petrov seems to like to throw the baby out with the bathwater and go from ineffably charming dandelion-plucking Spring/Summer style to leather zips Acne style in Fall. Someone on SuFu I was talking to had something to say about this. I will find his message later, but he said that Petrov is at his best when he is "showing you his blue/orange herringbone penis." I think that young SWD thing is about being inscrutable (not understatedly so, but unique and without precedent) and at the same time brash. When you transition, you fundamentally want to have pleasant experiences with other people, so doing something that is a hot fireball of uniqueness may seem to lack, you know, cultural currency. Kunk would disagree, though.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally, I find the idea of "wraps" very appealing - shirt-length Jedi robes, if you will, that fasten around the middle and drape nicely, and don't give you that nasty feeling of being all up in your armpits. Kimono sleeves are quite a fun though, as well.

Silk is something else that I find intriguing - as in, covering oneself in it. Additionally, a sleeveless fur vest would be excellent with either white or black pants and slim boots.

Also: why do people wear pyjamas?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
Personally, I find the idea of "wraps" very appealing - shirt-length Jedi robes, if you will, that fasten around the middle and drape nicely, and don't give you that nasty feeling of being all up in your armpits. Kimono sleeves are quite a fun though, as well.

Silk is something else that I find intriguing - as in, covering oneself in it. Additionally, a sleeveless fur vest would be excellent with either white or black pants and slim boots.

Also: why do people wear pyjamas?

Rick Owens does everything you jsut listed incredibly well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads