• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj-moody

Reaction score
Perhaps I haven't learned ****, and #2 applies to me. Overall, just based on the photos, I think the right photo (i.e., Manton) is put together better if we are considering all elements of style (fabric, colors, etc.). But in terms of fit, I honestly think they look quite similar. If there are significant differences in the fit of the outfits (waist supression, button placement, fit of jacket around collar, V shape of the lapels, etc.), that signal costly bespoke and why Manton's fit is much better, I'm dying to hear the excrutiating details, if one would be so kind to indulge.

The differences are not very significant. In fact, as you get deeper into the details little of it is significant, but those little details are often big boosts in terms of status. Manton's fit is noticeably better though.

jj-moody

Reaction score
Really? That's unwise, since I am right.

Which SF RTW-wearers do you like as much or more than your favorites (if any) who use bespoke tailors?

We know you do it well. But, let's exclude you since I am questioning you.
Money Can't Buy You Class

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Perhaps I haven't learned ****, and #2 applies to me. Overall, just based on the photos, I think the right photo (i.e., Manton) is put together better if we are considering all elements of style (fabric, colors, etc.). But in terms of fit, I honestly think they look quite similar. If there are significant differences in the fit of the outfits (waist supression, button placement, fit of jacket around collar, V shape of the lapels, etc.), that signal costly bespoke and why Manton's fit is much better, I'm dying to hear the excrutiating details, if one would be so kind to indulge.

the first thing that I see is the shape. Manton's is hourglass shape, extended shoulders which continues through the chest/underarms, comes in at the waist and then "extends" back out again at the waist. If you look at Spoo's jacket, cut off the sleeves and it looks like a rectangle, even though there seems to be some supression at the waist. if you think that something like an hourglass shape is the ideal shape of a coat, then Manton's is better

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Well, here is what I would say and it's hard to put this into words but bear with me.

There are basically only two ways the "lines" of a suit can appear, rounded or straight. Too straight and the clothes look boxy and angular. Too rounded and they look amorphous, tubby, sort of blobby and liquidy in bad way. What unites the nicer examples IMO is a golden mean between the two. Like an Aristotelean mean, it is not a perfect middle. It is closer to one extreme than the other, in this case curved (ever so slightly) but it gets the harmony right.

What I see in the spoo pic vox quoted is too many straight lines and angles. What I see in the other coat that I criticized earlier is too much round. What I like about well done A&S or Naples or NY bespoke is that they get the mean right, each in their own different way, but done well.

Last edited:

jj-moody

Reaction score
The hour glass shape is for women, the V is for men. I am certain that 'mean' bs really clarified things for him manton. Nice one

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lol, I'm trying to behave, I really am!
devil.gif

Srsly, this looks good from the knees up and actually on you I don't mind the narrow lapels. Tie is possibly a bit overly soporific, you could try a bit more color and be still be safe, e.g. a blue ground with some other color pattern.
Kevin, I am dumbfounded at your self restraint. Oh wait.......did I say restraint? I meant ...........well............. carry on!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

The hour glass shape is for women, the V is for men. I am certain that 'mean' bs really clarified things for him manton. Nice one
Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean no one else will.

emptym

Reaction score

That's some me-like earnestness, V. Unusual for you. That said, as you might guess, I disagree with your thesis. If anything, too much money is being spent on SF these days, indiscriminately...
+1. This is Vox becoming the pillar of the community we always knew he could be.
I think the key word in his post was "indiscriminately."
The differences are not very significant. In fact, as you get deeper into the details little of it is significant, but those little details are often big boosts in terms of status. Manton's fit is noticeably better though.
But it's the little things that separate good from great.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ovadia and Sons are completely fine. I wish them success, and I hope that many on the forum will enjoy their unsold wares next year through the wide variety of discount channels available online and in bricks-and-mortar form.

I did not insinuate that Spoo's ensembles "betray a lack of knowledge and refinement." Quite the contrary. But you know that. My opinion, however, is that Spoo's ensembles reflect less knowledge and refinement, and also are executed with fewer deep resources relevant to classic style than what Manton puts together.

Also, it seems this is not one of the better fitting jackets Spoo owns.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

the first thing that I see is the shape. Manton's is hourglass shape, extended shoulders which continues through the chest/underarms, comes in at the waist and then "extends" back out again at the waist. If you look at Spoo's jacket, cut off the sleeves and it looks like a rectangle, even though there seems to be some supression at the waist. if you think that something like an hourglass shape is the ideal shape of a coat, then Manton's is better

The shoulders on that jacket are actually not extended at all. It does have a noticeably trimmer waist than most of my stuff, though.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Which SF RTW-wearers do you like as much or more than your favorites (if any) who use bespoke tailors?

We know you do it well. But, let's exclude you since I am questioning you.

I like this guy

jacket.jpg

jj-moody

Reaction score
Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean no one else will.

Sorry professor but I do understand, I think I learned about it when I had Aesop's fables read to me as a child. That golden mean crap applies to everything and anything, from my baker to my mechanic.

I think you pontificate when it is not needed and terse up when it is.

jj-moody

Reaction score
Manton notice how I said 'as a child'. I am currently having them read to me again, just in case. I am lying on a bed of sack suits with Christie Turlington feeding me grapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads