• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny58

Reaction score
I would very much appreciate your comments on this experiment...

BlueJacketwBowTie5.jpg

BlueJacketwBowTie6.jpg

BlueJacketwBowTie2.jpg

BlueJacketwBowTie3.jpg

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BlueJacketwBowTie5.jpg

BlueJacketwBowTie6.jpg

BlueJacketwBowTie2.jpg

BlueJacketwBowTie3.jpg

Your best post yet. The brighter/stronger color of the jacket is exactly what you need. The combo with the gray trousers works well and avoids the dreaded security guard look by virtue of the brightness of the jacket and the lovely contrast of the shoes. The tie is great in that gives you more of that much needed 'flair'. My only complaint is that in photograph I wish for more contrast between the tie and the shirt - and I'm no fan of button downs - but I bet in real life it is fine.

Rock on!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nothing to get excited about but I finally bought a pair of decent jeans.

Next up: shoes, obviously.

Sonny58

Reaction score

Your best post yet. The brighter/stronger color of the jacket is exactly what you need. The combo with the gray trousers works well and avoids the dreaded security guard look by virtue of the brightness of the jacket and the lovely contrast of the shoes. The tie is great in that gives you more of that much needed 'flair'. My only complaint is that in photograph I wish for more contrast between the tie and the shirt - and I'm no fan of button downs - but I bet in real life it is fine.

Rock on!

These photos are tricky, my trousers are actually an olive color. I guess it is difficult to present the true nature of one's fit on the inter webz. The contrast with the tie is something I thought of as well but my tie inventory is fairly limited... you should have seen some of the other things I came up with before settling on this. :crackup:

Sonny58, I like your outfit, especially your bowtie and shoes, but wouldn't pair BD shirts with the bowtie.

I wondered about the button down with a bow tie. Perhaps it is a bad idea to pair the two. Maybe it would work if the shirt fit better. It seems to be pulling a bit across the upper chest which doesn't help matters. Are there any rules of thumb regarding bow ties and collars?

Thanks to you both for your thoughts, it helps immensely and I appreciate it!

Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

BlueJacketwBowTie5.jpg

BlueJacketwBowTie6.jpg

BlueJacketwBowTie2.jpg

BlueJacketwBowTie3.jpg

I think this looks smashing, perfect colour choices and good fit. One thing though, a mistake I made in my last post as well without even seeing it: The bow tie is a bit wide for your face.

Holdfast and Spoo :slayer:
EFV, you have a very exceptional style I would never dare wearing myself, but I like it, very nice! PS: What are you holding in your hands?

Thank you! I'm holding my dogs leashes.

046.JPG

That bow tie looks interesting, would have loved a closer peek though.

Sonny58

Reaction score

I think this looks smashing, perfect colour choices and good fit. One thing though, a mistake I made in my last post as well without even seeing it: The bow tie is a bit wide for your face.

Thanks EFV. I cinched my tie up as much as possible to achieve the narrowest possible bow. Perhaps I need to have it altered.

I love this look, Sonny. If I had to change one thing, I'd wear a slightly bolder tie—maybe the same thing, but with a bright red or blue stripe in it—to bring it out a little more. Great shoes. What are they?</p>

In the photos I realized the tie blends in with the shirt. It is enlightening to take photos of yourself, things never look like they do in the mirror. The shoes are Alden Suede Chukkas.

Again, thanks for the feedback. It is much appreciated!

Withaque

Reaction score
Sonny58

Love the jacket. I have been wanting to get a vibrant blue SC for a while. Did you pick it up here, in town, recently? Where?

You look like you can pull off a bow tie on regular basis. But this one is not the best choice for the blue jacket/blue shirt combination. try the same outfit with a larger pattern and darker color. It looks like a white tie with a light plaid pattern on it. If this was not a bow tie , but a traditional tie with a four in hand knot, would you have worn it with this fit?

Try the tie with a medium to light gray jacket and a white or off white shirt.

Your last few fits have looked really good. And deets on the jacket, please.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics