• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Just realized that I wore the hell out of this suit this summer.

Not sure about the shoes T, but I like the rest of this. Maybe it's a step up in formality from your usual fits but it works well, no gimmicks this time and the hat adds the Tirailleur quirk that we expect. I think the second is the better of the two, hope you had your hat on that day too!

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I kinda liked it until I saw the closeups.
matching the shirt to the pinstripe is too obvious. And the dubmonks would be nice if they had broguing rather than the large stitching by the cap.

As it happens, I wore black austerity brogue double monks on Monday, and I have a pair in brown as well (which received less-than-stellar marks from at least one of the locals here). I hadn't worn the dub monks that I am wearing today for a while, so they were put into rotation.

As for shirt, I like lavender and grey, lavender pinstripes or not.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just for Sugarbutch: not seen- AE Mora double monks with a spit shine :D

SaneMan

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Hopefully no one finds my first attempt at a decent outfit to offensive.
nest.gif

Looking forward to the critique!

Shirt = Emmett London
Tie = Vintage No Name
PS = Vintage No Name
Watch = 1970 Rolex Oysterdate
Trousers = 511 Commuter Trousers
Shoes = Church's Westbury's

~ SM

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^
I like that casual look mossrockss.
The pants have a colour that suits autumn very well.
Spoo, I love the shirt, like the tie, don't mind the PS and hate the jacket.

Agreed, Spoo. If that coat didn't have that overcheck, it'd be stellar. As it is, eh.

Quick one, sorry for the picture quality.

Inoffensive grey/burgundy all the way down...must be having an off day. 

*Meh.  Terrible picture quality: the tie is lavender, the shirt is a fine dark navy stripe

Please do me a favor. Gather up all your color laces. Douse them in lighter fluid. Apply flame.

Those shoes look like they might not fit you properly.

Today:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is it kosher to post when you know something is hideous? The tie is courtesy of Thomas Pink and a very poor decision a few years back. But I like the sweater with the shirt color/pattern. The bunching on the shirt is from holding the dslr at arms length.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Spent the day at a mental health law conference; you get some interesting discussions when the two different systems (law & medicine in this case) mix. Sartorially, in hindsight I admit that either or both (depending on your perspective) of the tie & square don't quite work here, but I was in a hurry this morning and didn't have time to think. Still, in the belief that misses can be as entertaining as successes (if not more so!), here you go:

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Please do me a favor. Gather up all your color laces. Douse them in lighter fluid. Apply flame.
Those shoes look like they might not fit you properly.

Ah, it's a hard man who even finds grey offensive. Truth be told, I'll get bored of them eventually, and it's only on a few pairs...but these definitely need something. Well spotted on the second point. Of course in time they work their way around your feet, but you're right. I bought these about 12-15 years ago in more foolish times, and should never have kept them. Now we're attached. And they do shine up nice. Thanks for the love, and nice tie. :)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Spent the day at a mental health law conference; you get some interesting discussions when the two different systems (law & medicine in this case) mix. Sartorially, in hindsight I admit that either or both (depending on your perspective) of the tie & square don't quite work here, but I was in a hurry this morning and didn't have time to think. Still, in the belief that misses can be as entertaining as successes (if not more so!), here you go:

I'd call that a refreshing diversion. Don't take this the wrong way, but I like it more than anything of yours yet. I don't mean that you normally dress badly, but like most people you're usually a little safer than this. Sure, you're right about the jacket and tie clash - a plainer textured jacket, or a solid woven tie, either would do. But it's nice to see a bit of risk-taking. A slight substitution to one of those two elements and you're in the realms of awesome. Hats off to you for having some nuts, well played. Could you fill in some details please?

Comments are welcome.

I do love a three piece, and that's nice. But maybe a bit too much of smooth and shiny going on there? I'd vary the texture a bit more, but you look slick. One more thing: pocket squares, carefully folded to look carefree, remind me of decorative napkin arrangements, especially when white. Straight or scruffy, one or the other I'd say. But that's probably just me.

Coming home from 12 hours of work yesterday. Wearing a blue cardigan, barely showing, under the jacket.

I don't dig cardigans - makes me think elderly and unwell, but each to his own. All hangs together though, and I like the tie a great deal. Details, if you wouldn't mind?

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In response to Threadbearer who wrote: "Just beautiful, cp. Deets on the tie and PS, please."

Both the tie and PS are "ancient". The tie is by Breuer. The PS is older than Zadok the Priest. I think I got it from Van Boven's in Ann Arbor. Thanks for the thumbs up!

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In response to Threadbearer who wrote: "Just beautiful, cp. Deets on the tie and PS, please."
Both the tie and PS are "ancient". The tie is by Breuer. The PS is older than Zadok the Priest. I think I got it from Van Boven's in Ann Arbor. Thanks for the thumbs up!

Mention of "Zadok the Priest" brought back most pleasant memories of concerts at St. Martins-in-the-Fields in London, at which "ZadoK' is performed as the opening number for choral concerts there - rather like "The Star-Spangled Banner" at a baseball game. (For the non-musicians reading this thread, George Friedrich Handel wrote a setting for this Biblical passage in 1727, for the coronation of George II, and it's been performed at every British coronation ever since. Van Boven's must have been open for a LONG time, no? :satisfied:)

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mention of "Zadok the Priest" brought back most pleasant memories of concerts at St. Martins-in-the-Fields in London, at which "ZadoK' is performed as the opening number for choral concerts there - rather like "The Star-Spangled Banner" at a baseball game. (For the non-musicians reading this thread, George Friedrich Handel wrote a setting for this Biblical passage in 1727, for the coronation of George II, and it's been performed at every British coronation ever since. Van Boven's must have been open for a LONG time, no? :satisfied:)

Van Boven's has been a University of Michigan campus landmark since 1921. It is located in a charming arcade reminiscent of so many European cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads