• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styleforum User reports and questions on technical issues

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. I’ve been on SF for 10+ years and wasn’t aware of the subscription.
Seriously? Wow. It's clearly not your fault.

@admin it might make sense to promote subscriptions more aggressively. It's clear that people are not aware of the option.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I did only mean the site in general on desktop. Mobile is seemingly a sunk cost for now, butttttttt I had no idea being a supporter meant no ads. Worth a try to see if that clears of the gunk on mobile.

Desktop was due to me being a dummy. All sorted there

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I did only mean the site in general on desktop. Mobile is seemingly a sunk cost for now, butttttttt I had no idea being a supporter meant no ads. Worth a try to see if that clears of the gunk on mobile.

Desktop was due to me being a dummy. All sorted there
I use the Brave browser on iOS. I don't seem to have any mobile issues. Of course, YMMV.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a mistake. I thought that being a supporting member turns off ads. It does not. I just tested it on a fresh browser.

I think what I did was I became a supporting member and felt comfortable with using an ad blocker.

My apologies.

admin

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Ads are still on for supporters. We finally acquiesced to user requests for a subscription last year, and it's mainly a way for them to show their support, and we also occasionally do special giveaways for them. Even if we could turn off ads for them, we don't really have a way of calculating the cost to us would be as we value the privacy of our users, in lieu of tracking that info.
They should have a paid subscription and remove ads for folks who subscribe which is the traditional model.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please let Fok know via the sticky at the top of the front page.
SF has turned to absolute **** these days but they must make their money some how hence the invasive advertising. I wonder if the extra revenue has been balanced by less ‘clicks’ as people are viewing less frequently or have just been driven away?
Maybe I’m just old and no longer tech savvy,

I see a “support the forum” sticky, and tiles for popular threads, then latest posts, but nowhere to report functionality issues

admin

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Maybe I’m just old and no longer tech savvy,

I see a “support the forum” sticky, and tiles for popular threads, then latest posts, but nowhere to report functionality issues
You can PM them to me, or post them in this thread.

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi @admin any chance to get assistance with this issue, I see ads and this popup, thanks!

1707765010169-png.2130511

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@admin - I’m sure this has been discussed but the IOS experience on Chrome is really tough. This page reloaded 3 times then crashed before I could scroll down to post this comment. The phone is actively hot from the works it’s going to load this site ha. I experience this all across the site, with the page not fully loading or reloading continuously, I guess because of the ads? Happy to discuss, thanks.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@admin - I’m sure this has been discussed but the IOS experience on Chrome is really tough. This page reloaded 3 times then crashed before I could scroll down to post this comment. The phone is actively hot from the works it’s going to load this site ha. I experience this all across the site, with the page not fully loading or reloading continuously, I guess because of the ads? Happy to discuss, thanks.
we're working on this. It may be the order in which things are loaded and then rendered. It may or may not have to do with how we call the ads, or rather, what spacing we leave for ads to render. This happens to me as well, though on an intermittent basis, so I think that I understand what is the issue with the UX. We'll be discussing this issue with our developer, designer, and ad partners in our meetings later this week, possible causes of the problem, and possible fixes. Thanks for keeping us abreast of these issues.

Cheers,

Fok.

#dadcore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry but this site is unusable in its current state. It’s so choked by ads it’s impossible to even scroll through a single thread without multiple crashes. The video is the normal experience on the forum these days. I love SF and have been here since 05 or so but I can’t participate in a nonfunctional site. I realize that ads are necessary to keep the lights on but in the face of declining activity on the forum how can you possibly attract new users or maintain experienced ones with this kind of user experience?

n.b.- it took 5 minutes to post this response because of page crashes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads