• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A plain, Brooks Brothers day. The suit ((BB Fleece) is dark charcoal with a light rose stripe.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Only 2 more days of being Mr. Mom. :)
951f8bc7.jpg

600e6fd1.jpg

485fd751.jpg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lisbon: Zoinks! That's some orange.

Spoo: I daresay that's encroaching on conservative business dress.

Black Umb: I like it, but the shirt seems a bit city for your target, at least to me based on that picture.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I'd take in the waist a good amount. Do it while you still can before you get fat :slayer: at least that's how I play it. And, like you mentioned, the sleeves. I realize a 3 roll 2 with a natural shoulder is rare for you and it's good to mix it up, but the roped shoulders are better for you.

I concur. The sharply suppressed waist is a large part of what makes Spoo, Spoo.

Hmmmm...where do I start?

1. That jacket is not a 3/2, nor is it a "natural shoulder" either in the old specific Brooks Brothers sense or in the wider sense of having the entire curve of the shoulder seam into the crown knocked (ironed) flat. If you look at the arms crossed shot, it will be apparent to you that this is done pretty much the same as shoulders that some of you call "roped." The ridge is not as prominent, but basically, it is the same as most jackets made today.

2. While Spoo's hand is in one pocket, that jacket is already pulling at the waist. It has the tell-tale X at the fastening point, and a collapse of the pattern into the center. It does not need more "waist suppression," a term that nearly all of you use for simply taking in the sides at the seam. It might benefit from being let out, actually, not taken in, at the sides, but probably does not need it.

Many current active SF members prefer a jacket frontal silhouette in which there is a larger apparent shoulder:waist ratio and a square shoulder. Because heavy padding is "out of style" right now, you see tons of photographs (especially from the retail menswear world, Pitti, etc.) in which there are attempts (largely failing) to obtain that ratio by over-winching the waist. This looks horrible to me, so I would be the last to encourage anyone to go in such a direction. A jacket that catches at the waist is not a jacket that fits, nor would it seem likely to be a jacket that is comfortable to wear.

I think that it would be useful for many of you to think of this jacket Spoo is wearing today. I'm with those who prefer it to his others, but I also understand it undermines an artificiality of affect (e.g., a more padded, squarer shoulder offsetting the width of hips) that many of you associate and admire about a large number of Spoo's "fits." Neither viewpoint is correct or incorrect, it is entirely a matter of opinion.

Understand, however, that the other look comes not primarily from shrinkwrapping but from augmenting/squaring at the shoulders through various techniques. It's like falsies.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ wow, thank you! I'm a bit tied up and can't give the proper verbal reply I'd like to, but here is a robot pose I didn't post yesterday if it helps clarify anything:
69e04894.jpg

Sotiris

Reaction score
PS too matchy?

2YUQb.jpg
OrjEy.jpg

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
To all of you "waist suppressors":

When your jacket drapes more fluidly and effortlessly on its hanger than on you, guess what? Your jacket is too tight.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many current active SF members prefer a jacket frontal silhouette in which there is a larger apparent shoulder:waist ratio and a square shoulder. Because heavy padding is "out of style" right now, you see tons of photographs (especially from the retail menswear world, Pitti, etc.) in which there are attempts (largely failing) to obtain that ratio by over-winching the waist. This looks horrible to me, so I would be the last to encourage anyone to go in such a direction. A jacket that catches at the waist is not a jacket that fits, nor would it seem likely to be a jacket that is comfortable to wear.

This is very interesting. So do you think it would be better to emphasize the shoulders by structuring and extending them a little (about half and inch) and using peak lapels that are a bit wider?

That's what I'll be telling my tailor to do - and I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. Spoo's jacket seems to make his shoulders look narrow compared to his hips, but as you've stated it doesn't look like there's much room for waist suppression...

Last edited:

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lisbon: Zoinks! That's some orange.
Spoo: I daresay that's encroaching on conservative business dress.
Black Umb: I like it, but the shirt seems a bit city for your target, at least to me based on that picture.

True, a button-down blue oxford would have been closer, but it seemed a bit off. But is the shirt too off? Seemed better with the more structured shoulder of the SC.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To all of you "waist supressors":
When your jacket drapes more fluidly and effortlessly on its hanger than on you, guess what? Your jacket is too tight.

I think this was good for me to hear, I'm now afraid to try on some of my tighter SC's though :laugh:

Should the coat not get any thinner than the shoulders?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As I said, zero alterations. Holdfast read my mind and I was thinking of tapering the waist more... is everyone in agreeance that this is not a good move?

It's my job to read minds, remember? :p No, I guessed you'd be thinking of it based on how you tend to like your clothes, which why I pre-emptively argued against it upthread. My reasons are much simpler and less articulate than vox's, though I think equally valid: the jacket looks proportionally comfortable on you as it already is. Don't **** around with something that already looks right; it almost never results in incremental improvement.

Another casual and cold day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads