• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting

madeinpoland

Reaction score
Guys, are those Tyrwhitt classic collars kinda short and straight-pointed, or is it just an illusion? I saw numerous Tyrwhitt pics and the collar points never seem to be hidden under the suit jacket, what bothers me the most. T.M. Lewin classic collar appears to be far wider, a bit of semi-spread, and those collar points are never shown...

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Charles Tyrwhitt Extra Slim Fit shirts aren't that slim at all. I am a fairly skinny guy by all accounts (5'8, 135) but the 15/33 ESF shirt I ordered fits like a burlap slack. Just measuring the chest (pit-to-pit) is ~18" across the front. The waist at the second to last button is ~16.5-17". A 2-3 inch drop is not anywhere close to extra slim IMO. That being said, I paid something like $29 after shipping with a promo code and the quality for that price is fantastic.

Wow... you say CT Extra Slim Fit fits like a burlap sack? Gain some weight, bro! ;) I'm 5'10", 190 lbs., athletic/muscular build, wear a 16/34 and find the CT ESF way too tight in the chest, shoulders, and arms. Slim Fit is much better for me.

it's slim fitting for men who weigh more than their 15 year old daughters

+1

Their collars are probably their defining characteristic, their collars are very stiff, you wont be let down.
I have 10-20 ct shirts and ive found that their tailored (extra slim) shirts fit me quite well. i am 5'7 150lbs with an athletic build, 15/33 left maybe an inch on both side of extra space, it could be taken in a little more but i havent found any BB shirts to fit this well fwiw.

One inch extra on each side, and you'd consider having them taken in even more?:butbut: Don't be so obsessed with a skin-tight fit: http://putthison.com/post/39574940145/sit-down-in-your-shirt-when-out-trying-on

I love CT shrits, especially the non-iron variety. Two things I've noticed about their shirts - the collars tend to shrink about half an inch, and the sleeves tend to be about an inch shorter than their US counterparts. So, a 16.5 34 might be the way to go and those are pretty proportional sizes. As a frame of reference, I'm 6'0 and 200 lbs with a 42" chest and 16.5/35 slim fits fit me perfectly. I can wear a size 16 shirt and it will look good but it can become distractingly snug throughout the day especially after a big lunch.

Huh? I've owned almost a dozen non-iron CT shirts and haven't noticed any collar shrinkage whatsoever. Nor have the sleeves been shorter than advertised. Collars and sleeves on their non-iron shirts are TTS in my experience, with no noticeable shrinkage whatsoever (I machine dry on low).

FWIW I own a good amount of CT shirts. I'm 6'4 230 with an athletic build and wear a 16/35. I get the slim fit and can get them taken in slightly. I also wear a 44L.

Dang. I'm 5'10" 190ish and wear 16/34 in CT slim fit. Fit is great for me: slim and clean; not tight.

Last edited:

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread proves one thing: when it comes to CT shirt fit, YMMV. Thankfully, they have great customer service and a fantastic return policy. :nodding:

BaldwinP

Reaction score
I have a number of CT shirts. At 5'9 and 175 pounds I find a 16 inch neck in the slim fit reasonably slim although I get a bit of excess fabric at the waist and have considered trying out the extra slim fit to see if it's too skin tight or just right. Given that my CT shirts are under a suit jacket the vast majority of the time, a bit of comfort in exchange for a little extra fabric is not really a problem, I'm not going out clubbing in them and the fit is otherwise good. It's probably be perfect if they had a size 15.75 below the 16 (the 15.5 inch neck will be too small), and actually the lack of quarter-inch (or 1cm) increments on the collar is my only major knock on CT shirts, especially since they allow you to choose the sleeve length which is great for me since I have shortish arms... 16/34 is not unusual but at the same time an awful lot of shirtmakers will go longer than that with the sleeves on a 15.75 or 16 inch collar shirt.

I think they have good fabric and construction for the price (most of mine are from their Sea Island range when they have been on sale more than the usual "sale" prices). I like that they come with brass collar stiffeners rather than flimsy plastic ones I have received with far higher quality shirts, and as mentioned before I like that you can choose your own sleeve length (and type of cuff).

My only other criticism is that the colour range can be lacking, especially in their egyptian cotton/sea island ranges (it kind of feels like anything you want as long as it's white or blue). I wouldn't mind a dove grey, for example, but I don't think I've ever seen one when I've perused their site.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow... you say CT Extra Slim Fit fits like a burlap sack? Gain some weight, bro! ;) I'm 5'10.5", 190 lbs., athletic/muscular build, wear a 16/34 and find the CT ESF way too tight in the chest, shoulders, and arms. Slim Fit is much better for me.

hmm, thats odd considering really the only difference is in the waist due to the darts. doesn't look like any change in the arms or shoulders:

cuts

Reaction score
Guys are you all buying the poplin or the twill, send me link to the shirts you guys like at CT

topos

Reaction score
hmm, thats odd considering really the only difference is in the waist due to the darts. doesn't look like any change in the arms or shoulders:

You comment seems corroborated by the measurements given at http://www.shirtdetective.com/ (I think of my fewer than 20 posts I've mentioned this link 5 or 6 times, and probably all in threads which at least mention CT - someone here posted it a while back which is how I know about it. More to the point: do people not use google to try to look up shirt measurements, and instead ask a stranger whose body shape/type they don't know on the internet how the shirts fit and use that to guess? Seems crazy. Someone else's height and weight and fit experience tell you nothing about how a shirt might fit you.)

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't have the actual chest measurement, as the chart indicates that it is to fit a chest of a certain size, but the extra slim does fit tighter in the chest. The old measurement chart showed this. The above diagram also shows no chest difference for classic fit, which is categorically wrong.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't have the actual chest measurement, as the chart indicates that it is to fit a chest of a certain size, but the extra slim does fit tighter in the chest. The old measurement chart showed this. The above diagram also shows no chest difference for classic fit, which is categorically wrong.

Yep, the CT 'extra slim fit' is definitely slimmer in the chest, shoulders, and arms compared to 'slim fit'. It's annoying that they changed the measurement chart to show "fits chest size" instead of the actual garment chest measurement, as it used to. And I agree that the overlay diagram of the three fits is completely useless and misleading.

Last edited:

biged781

Reaction score
I called CT and the rep said that the chest and shoulders fit the same as the other cuts; the waist is the only difference. I'll guess I'll know the truth soon enough.

Last edited:

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I called CT and the rep said that the chest and shoulders fit the same as the other cuts; the waist is the only difference.  I'll guess I'll know the truth soon enough.

Nonsense. You have been severely misinformed by that CT rep. (Unless they've recently changed the fit of all their cuts, which is highly unlikely and would be stupid and extremely aggravating as I just placed an order for four shirts.)

Anyway, check out these videos on the Charles Tyrwhitt YouTube channel:

From the slim fit video: "This shirt is slimmer in the chest, waist, and hips than our classic fit shirts."

From the tailored (aka "extra slim") fit video: "Slimmer on the chest, waist, and hips than our slim and classic fit shirts..."

Last edited:

biged781

Reaction score
Well, at least they have free returns. I have to say that the extra slim shirt in the video doesn't look all that slim though, more of what I would expect from a "slim" fit (which is what I want). Oh well, we'll see.

Last edited:

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, at least they have free returns.  I have to say that the extra slim shirt in the video doesn't look all that slim though, more of what I would expect from a "slim" fit (which is what I want).  Oh well, we'll see.

Yep, returns are free and easy, though from my experience shipping things back to them from the U.S., transit time is 2-3 weeks plus another week for them to process it.

It's hard to judge the fit of the extra slim in the video without knowing the model's measurements or what size he's wearing. Either way, between extra slim and slim, I'm sure you'll find something that fits. I've been mostly happy with my CT shirts overall. I particularly like their non-iron spread collar shirts.

Mulp

Reaction score

bjornb17

Reaction score

Wow... you say CT Extra Slim Fit fits like a burlap sack? Gain some weight, bro! ;) I'm 5'10", 190 lbs., athletic/muscular build, wear a 16/34 and find the CT ESF way too tight in the chest, shoulders, and arms. Slim Fit is much better for me.
+1
One inch extra on each side, and you'd consider having them taken in even more?:butbut: Don't be so obsessed with a skin-tight fit: http://putthison.com/post/39574940145/sit-down-in-your-shirt-when-out-trying-on
Huh? I've owned almost a dozen non-iron CT shirts and haven't noticed any collar shrinkage whatsoever. Nor have the sleeves been shorter than advertised. Collars and sleeves on their non-iron shirts are TTS in my experience, with no noticeable shrinkage whatsoever (I machine dry on low).
Dang. I'm 5'10" 190ish and wear 16/34 in CT slim fit. Fit is great for me: slim and clean; not tight.

I personally hang dry my shirts - but I must clarify my statement. The NISF shirts shirt very slightly, it is the must iron ones that shrink much more noticeably.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads