• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style Inspo in Movies & TV (+etc.)

DougDevious

Reaction score
This is a thread dedicated to cool menswear outfits in Movies TV shows, and other media, which you think make for neat outfit inspiration.
I'm not really a "classic menswear guy", so I'm probably not gonna post stuff that's reflective of what most of the forum would post here, but here goes anyway. Prepare to have your sensibilities violated.

1638695705485.jpg

Niles and Frasier in chalkstripe business shirts. I'm a zoomer so I wouldn't know, but that kind of shirt feels very 90s. Diggin the pattern on Frasier's tie.

1616653436355.jpg
I love how napoleon treats a "lame" Johnny Carson era suit from the 70s like it's the coolest thing. Really shows how it's a matter of perspective. The sock + shoe combo is also pretty great. Also, brown suit + pale yellow shirt is a great combo.

images_7.jpg
An atypically wild use of a seersucker suit. Not in frame is a pair of bright red horsebit loafers, which are a great example of forced versatility and out-of-place statement pieces. I like how carelessly he wears what would typically be called a "polo shirt" with a charmingly kitsch necktie, illustrating his no ***** given attitude. It works because it's not really your typical knit-collar polo shirt, it still has a collar band like any other dress shirt, but it's got a short placket, which means no tucking in is required, making for a more easy-breezy look, as well as freeing up Brad Pitt to show off the fact that yes, he's wearing his pants commando. It should be noted this is the only "full suit" Tyler wears in the whole movie, showing that if even he's got only one suit, even if he's not a "suit guy", he still makes it count so that it's perfectly reflective of his personality and the use he has for it.
Napoleon and Tyler are as different as can be, but they share one thing in common: They sure know their way around a thrift store.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really dig Napoleon's suit. I'd want narrower lapels and change the chest pocket, but it works for his overall look. Wasn't expected inspiration from a comedy movie.

X-Post of Daniel Craig in "Knives Out". Better than anything he wore in the Bond movies IMO

dostat-nozhi-knives-ou-deniel-kreig-daniel-craig-ochki-kosti.jpg

KNIVES-OUT_SEQUELS_DANIEL-CRAIG_RIAN-JOHNSON_.jpg

knivesout1.0.jpg

Knives-Out-Daniel-Craig-Wool-blend-Coat.jpg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bowie, in my opinion, always “got it”. He could maintain a certain edginess even when wearing a more classic outfit:

tumblr_inline_ni9idqQWDu1t072bq.jpg

I’ve always loved films that capture and catalog a moment in time. “American Gigolo” did this better than just about any other film, capturing the excess and decadence of LA and the 80’s, and Julian and his Armani wardrobe perfectly captured the ethos:

358827.jpg

DougDevious

Reaction score
Bowie, in my opinion, always “got it”. He could maintain a certain edginess even when wearing a more classic outfit:

tumblr_inline_ni9idqQWDu1t072bq.jpg

Very much agreed. I wouldn't dare forget to give my regards to one of his favorite tailors, Tommy Nutter, so dubbed "the Rebel Tailor of Savile Row". But I think I'll save that collection of images for the "Way they Wore" thread.

1646283298426.jpg
I forget who the character on the left is supposed to be, I vaguely remember him being a supporting character in Indiana Jones. Anyway, here he is beside James Rolfe, cameoing on The Angry Video Game Nerd in a hilariously out-of-place esquire man ensemble.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1 to American Gigolo. Gere pulls it off.

But I haven’t seen too many other examples of 80s Armani being worn well.

DougDevious

Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very much agreed. I wouldn't dare forget to give my regards to one of his favorite tailors, Tommy Nutter, so dubbed "the Rebel Tailor of Savile Row". But I think I'll save that collection of images for the "Way they Wore" thread.

View attachment 1781049
I forget who the character on the left is supposed to be, I vaguely remember him being a supporting character in Indiana Jones. Anyway, here he is beside James Rolfe, cameoing on The Angry Video Game Nerd in a hilariously out-of-place esquire man ensemble.

the guy at left is lloyd kaufman from troma films - toxic avenger , cannibal the musical etc etc

DougDevious

Reaction score
I know most people "in the know" about style scoff about the combination of a black suit, white shirt, and black tie, but this character from the french dispatch, Roebuck Wright pulls it off pretty nice. Partly because he's in an already monochrome for half of his screentime and has sort of a Rod Serling kind of narrating to the audience, partly because his skin tone is harder to wash out, and his hair is already nearly pure black.
pgyIRgQ.jpg
It's hard to see, but this suit incorporates Wes Anderson's peculiar penchant for fishmouth lapels, a detail popular in the so called golden age of menswear.
EQ5Y7XU.jpg
Mildy fun socks!
Personally, I think what makes the outfit work as well as it does is the two-tone spectators, which are a low contrast black and grey, which adds some much-needed character, as well as symmetry to the ensemble.
Also, It's hard to tell, but I think he's wearing a knit/grenadine tie, which is a great way to add texture and show that you know what you're doing despite everything.
The relaxed pocket square fold also helps with this.
I could write more about the style inspo in this film, but a lot of what I could say has already been said in this blog article by Ethan Wong on the movie.

Another character that (sort of) pulls off the "Highest Possible Contrast" look is Detective Dale Cooper from Twin Peaks, thanks to his jet black hair and job as a detective. He might be wearing a grey shirt though.
kyle-maclachlan-in-twin-peajs-1024x576-1.jpg 6e083e1b3f2646e6856e008eb1c33715.gif

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
The Man from UNCLE has been covered endlessly, primarily for his hyperglamorized portrayal of 1960s adventuring in Italy. Most of the focus has been on the women's fabulous dresses or, on the men's side, Henry Cavill's three piece suits made by Timothy Everest, and unfortunately, less discussed has been the great non-tailored styles, worn mostly by Armie Hammer's Illya Kuryakin. You have to suspend your disbelief a bit of course, as his style is way more Steve McQueen than what an actual 1962 KGB agent would wear, but hey, just go with it, all right? For the SF crowd, I think it's a great example that looking good does not automatically mean tailoring.

Kuryakin wears two different Baracuta G9s with rollnecks and gray wool trousers that I initially thought were flannel, but upon closer inspection have a much more workwear flavor it it. Maybe cavalry twill or covert? Suddenly my gray flannel trousers feel inadequate and I need these instead hahaha. He'll also swap out the Barautas with a sweet suede bomber thingy in some scenes, which reminds me of a thing my dad used to wear with jeans and cotton flannel shirt. Ralph Lauren seems to have one in every season's collection (I think Illya's is just the off the rack 2014 incarnation of said RL jacket), for those of you who might think this fits in with the rest of your wardrobe. I've been tempted but realistically would probably just wear the Baracuta in that situation.

There's also one scene (middle pic) where Henry switches out the 3-piece suits for a super cool Harrington-ish jacket. There hasn't been much coverage of or interest in it, but from poking around, I found it it was also made by Timothy Everest, the folks who made the suits, which might explain the very structured shoulders. I thought I saw somewhere that the fabric is Loro Piana storm system but could be mistaken. Super cool design but probably impossible to get except from the source, for more than any of us is probably willing to pay for a casual jacket.

THE-RAKE-THE-MAN-FROM-UNCLE-THIS-WEEK-WERE-CHANNELLING-X.jpg

CmnD8DNWIAAoaIM

150812-Baracuta-Armie-Hammer-Man-From-UNCLE-jacket-3.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads