• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style Inspo in Movies & TV (+etc.)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Robert Shaw in The Taking of Pelham One Two Three:

MV5BYTk1YzhjNmMtZjk4Ny00ZmFkLWE1YmUtMWE2ZWUzOTNiNmE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE5MTU2MDE@._V1_.jpg

Pierce Brosnan AND Rene Russo in The Thomas Crown Affair:

thomas-crown-1999.jpg

More Ripley:

Dickie-Greenleaf-1.jpg

Denzel Washington in American Gangster:

d9573ae24f4ac096abf96e8b8002193b.jpg

Ocean's 11:

oceans-1-2592x0-c-center.jpg

The Sting:

MV5BMTY5MTcyNzYzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzI1NjQ2._V1_.jpg

More Thomas Crown:

Thomas-Crown-old-GQ-14Aug17_rex_b.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would be interested in hearing and seeing some examples from @Shirtmaven .

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Queen's Gambit:

bd3f22d19f2b5cb99e400169108e0df145-TQG-105-Unit-00528RC.2x.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From To Kill a Mockingbird

"What’d He Wear?
Although Atticus Finch assures his daughter that their family is poor, the country lawyer retains a relatively wide selection of three-piece suits, all cut and styled similarly, that prove suitable for seasonal rotation: dark flannel for the cooler seasons, a light-colored worsted for the intermediate months, and—most famous of all—the heroic seersucker he wears for Tom Robinson’s summertime trial." View attachment 1787571
Recent Broadway production. Costume design by ann Roth. At first Jeff Daniels wore a light beige linen suit made by Leonard Logsdail. and I made an off white shirt. Under stage lights he looked like a "giant Marshmallow" said Ann Roth. The suit was dyed tan and I made blue multi stripe shirt.

Atticus may have had several well made suits that he wore for years..

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would be interested in hearing and seeing some examples from @Shirtmaven .
I am asked to make period clothing all the time. There are a couple of companies that make ready made period clothing. Darcy is the best. Other companies make very inexpensively and often use the wrong interlining in the collars.

Recent include the terrible Ryan Murphy American horror story, new York in the early 80s. I made all of the period shirts. I do not recommend watching. Halston, plot against America,. I watched Amsterdam which I do not recommend.and saw Robert De Niro in shirts I forgot I made.
Upcoming. White house plumbers. 70s,
Bright side. weird 1950s styles to look futuristic.
Made fringed western shirts for an adaptation of a video Game Fallout. Will post on my Instagram when it comes out @cegonyc.
Some costume designers ask my opinions on style and collar shapes. Others do what they want knowing or not that they are not period correct.
Mad men only used correct shirt collars for the main characters. The rest wore current day Brooks Brothers or Charles tyrwitt.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is very interesting about the Mad Men collar fidelity.

One more comment about Ripley, and the importance of clothing in film. I read somewhere that the costume folks for that movie bought off-the-rack clothing for Matt Damon's character and then had the clothing altered so that the fit would be even worse, in order to subtly emphasize that Damon's character doesn't belong to the sphere that he is pretending to be in.
Talented-Mr-Ripley-Analysis.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bugsy:

bugsy2ts-cl1-shirt.jpg

bugsy-backdrop.jpg

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another movie I haven't seen (and don't want to, since I read the book and hated it) but admire the wardrobe in, is Revolutionary Road, which has some awesome mid-century clothing for both Leo and Kate
articles-mid-1950s-fashion.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another movie I haven't seen (and don't want to, since I read the book and hated it) but admire the wardrobe in, is Revolutionary Road, which has some awesome mid-century clothing for both Leo and Kate View attachment 1879416

I caught that years ago on a flight home from somewhere. Not a bad flick...if I recall.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another movie I haven't seen (and don't want to, since I read the book and hated it) but admire the wardrobe in, is Revolutionary Road, which has some awesome mid-century clothing for both Leo and Kate View attachment 1879416
@ter1413 I have a Heywood Wakefield chair that was used as a prop in the movie. My friend bought it when she was an onset tailor. Then sold to me when she closed her costume shop will post a photo. Never bothered to watch the movie.

Attachments

• IMG_20230116_104430519.jpg
    IMG_20230116_104430519.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Godfather:

63b437ee9de3f_godfather-movie-screencaps.com-16732__700.jpg

emptym

Reaction score
Anyone else like Room 222, which ran from 1969-74? I've been watching it on YouTube on the recommendation of a very wise friend. Great cast, stories, and clothes--from 60s preppy and mod to seventies flair. There's not a lot of pics on Google, but here's one of the stars:
denisenicholas_2.jpg

There's some good ones on Getty Images.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads