1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LooksGood, Feb 16, 2013.

1. biged781

biged781 Well-Known Member

Ditto, though it makes me more confident in the extra slim decision. However, Jeff, you must be build like a giraffe. No offense :D You wear the same shirt size I do... at 5'11" 180...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. bjornb17

bjornb17 Well-Known Member

I also figured he'd have arms longer than mine @ 35"

3. jaidog

jaidog Well-Known Member

Just saw that a groupon became available for Tyrwhitt -- $25 gets you $50, or $50 gets you $100. Not valid on clearance items, must be used on the US site. By the way, how does one come to find out about codes such as XANT?

4. Hobbstc

Hobbstc Well-Known Member

Where's the Groupon?

5. jaidog

jaidog Well-Known Member

6. Geruvah

Geruvah Well-Known Member

7. Hobbstc

Hobbstc Well-Known Member

I bought it. Thanks! Going to try CT for the first time. I want white French cuff dress shirts. Any suggestions on fabric choice?

8. Mulp

Mulp Member

Ive always been happy with their twill non-iron shirts.

You can try their egyptian cotton black label shirts and see how much better they are than the twill

I'd be interested to know as well if you dont mind reporting back.

9. cuts

cuts Member

Guys is twill or poplar more popular. Also, how do you guys get the codes, i like 29.00$ price

10. cuts

cuts Member

Stnrigant which shirt did you buy

11. madeinpoland

madeinpoland Member

Guys, are those Tyrwhitt classic collars kinda short and straight-pointed, or is it just an illusion? I saw numerous Tyrwhitt pics and the collar points never seem to be hidden under the suit jacket, what bothers me the most. T.M. Lewin classic collar appears to be far wider, a bit of semi-spread, and those collar points are never shown...

12. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

Wow... you say CT Extra Slim Fit fits like a burlap sack? Gain some weight, bro! ;) I'm 5'10", 190 lbs., athletic/muscular build, wear a 16/34 and find the CT ESF way too tight in the chest, shoulders, and arms. Slim Fit is much better for me.

+1

One inch extra on each side, and you'd consider having them taken in even more?:butbut: Don't be so obsessed with a skin-tight fit: http://putthison.com/post/39574940145/sit-down-in-your-shirt-when-out-trying-on

Huh? I've owned almost a dozen non-iron CT shirts and haven't noticed any collar shrinkage whatsoever. Nor have the sleeves been shorter than advertised. Collars and sleeves on their non-iron shirts are TTS in my experience, with no noticeable shrinkage whatsoever (I machine dry on low).

Dang. I'm 5'10" 190ish and wear 16/34 in CT slim fit. Fit is great for me: slim and clean; not tight.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  13. Flyswatter

This thread proves one thing: when it comes to CT shirt fit, YMMV. Thankfully, they have great customer service and a fantastic return policy. :nodding:

14. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Well-Known Member

I have a number of CT shirts. At 5'9 and 175 pounds I find a 16 inch neck in the slim fit reasonably slim although I get a bit of excess fabric at the waist and have considered trying out the extra slim fit to see if it's too skin tight or just right. Given that my CT shirts are under a suit jacket the vast majority of the time, a bit of comfort in exchange for a little extra fabric is not really a problem, I'm not going out clubbing in them and the fit is otherwise good. It's probably be perfect if they had a size 15.75 below the 16 (the 15.5 inch neck will be too small), and actually the lack of quarter-inch (or 1cm) increments on the collar is my only major knock on CT shirts, especially since they allow you to choose the sleeve length which is great for me since I have shortish arms... 16/34 is not unusual but at the same time an awful lot of shirtmakers will go longer than that with the sleeves on a 15.75 or 16 inch collar shirt.

I think they have good fabric and construction for the price (most of mine are from their Sea Island range when they have been on sale more than the usual "sale" prices). I like that they come with brass collar stiffeners rather than flimsy plastic ones I have received with far higher quality shirts, and as mentioned before I like that you can choose your own sleeve length (and type of cuff).

My only other criticism is that the colour range can be lacking, especially in their egyptian cotton/sea island ranges (it kind of feels like anything you want as long as it's white or blue). I wouldn't mind a dove grey, for example, but I don't think I've ever seen one when I've perused their site.

15. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

hmm, thats odd considering really the only difference is in the waist due to the darts. doesn't look like any change in the arms or shoulders:

[​IMG]

16. cuts

cuts Member

Guys are you all buying the poplin or the twill, send me link to the shirts you guys like at CT

17. topos

topos Well-Known Member

You comment seems corroborated by the measurements given at http://www.shirtdetective.com/ (I think of my fewer than 20 posts I've mentioned this link 5 or 6 times, and probably all in threads which at least mention CT - someone here posted it a while back which is how I know about it. More to the point: do people not use google to try to look up shirt measurements, and instead ask a stranger whose body shape/type they don't know on the internet how the shirts fit and use that to guess? Seems crazy. Someone else's height and weight and fit experience tell you nothing about how a shirt might fit you.)

18. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

I don't have the actual chest measurement, as the chart indicates that it is to fit a chest of a certain size, but the extra slim does fit tighter in the chest. The old measurement chart showed this. The above diagram also shows no chest difference for classic fit, which is categorically wrong.

19. Flyswatter

Yep, the CT 'extra slim fit' is definitely slimmer in the chest, shoulders, and arms compared to 'slim fit'. It's annoying that they changed the measurement chart to show "fits chest size" instead of the actual garment chest measurement, as it used to. And I agree that the overlay diagram of the three fits is completely useless and misleading.

20. biged781

biged781 Well-Known Member

I called CT and the rep said that the chest and shoulders fit the same as the other cuts; the waist is the only difference. I'll guess I'll know the truth soon enough.