• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HELP! how to take care of Allen Edmonds Black Hills? they are kind of waxy leather. should i use the nornal premium shoe shine?

I use Fiebing saddle soap on mine, and it works great. But I am very familiar with it and use it on all of my hiking and hunting boots in addition to bison leather.

On the AE website one reviewer said he used Mink Oil to waterproof his. Because I had good success with Obenauf's leather oil on my AE Eastport's, BB and Bean Bison leather boots I thought I'd use it on the Black Hills. Don't do that, the leather God's were not happy. After almost 2 weeks of a nightly cleaning with Fiebing saddle soap I got them back to where they were to start with. However Obenauf's HDLP works perfectly if you want to waterproof them.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a student, and I have recently come to really appreciate leather shoes and oxfords. I researched different makers and styles. I have settled on AE. I have finally pulled the trigger on a pair of AE Neumok (Blue), and I am going to buy a pair of lighter colored ones such as models like the Strand, McTavish, Player or McAllister. For a beginner like me and somebody who most often dresses with jeans, which pair would you recommend?

I also was wondering which shoe care products I should buy for both the Neumok and the recommendation.

I'm sorry for lack of knowledge, but I do have to begin somewhere!

Thanks in advance!

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the links. If C&J cordovan can be had around the same price range I would definitely go with C&J too.

Yeah, I'm not nearly as familiar with C&J as I am with AE and Alden. It looks like they really only have 5 or 6 models in cordovan, but I am wondering why I don't see them much on SF considering the price. On plal they have them for $566, though you can't exchange, and you'd probably have international shipping as with pediwear.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second or third wearing of some Kenilworths. Cross-posted from WAYWRN.

With outfit:

Closeup:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thx shiny, I contacted AE today and they will be replacing them for me, not because of the medallion being off but
more so with the heel splitting. I was surprised that they would do this for me because it was purchased through
aafes military site.

I have purchased most of my AE shoes through AAFES. If they are standard stock item (and they don't have a lot at the MilExchange) and it is a matter of fit I send them back to Texas for another pair. If it is a QC issue I call AE. There are 2 separate return departments at AE and the MilExch falls under the department store returns. You can special order most any AE shoe through the special order program except for webgems. Webgems are apparently their own cost center and a third group at AE. Last week I asked for a quote for shell PA and was told they were not available through the exchange so they may be a limited run. I purchased the limited edition shell Daltons through the MilExch however so that must be new. I just got a quote for black shell Leeds today.

For stock AE shoes on the website there is always at least a 10% discount code and free shipping if you subscribe to email notifications at the exchange. From time to time they have special discounts for the Military Star Card also. Last December it was 25% off right before Christmas and that included special order items.

What can I expect the differences to be between the Leeds in calf v. cordovan?
Which will wear better overtime?

• $230
  • Shell smells better
  • Shell requires less maintenance
  • Shell is tougher and therefore will last longer
  • Shell looks better over time (it's subjective)

That's my 0.02.

Especially in plain toes, like the Leeds, shell is great. The creases or rolls give the shoes their character.
Agree with your list, but will add that with a little maintenance, just brushing after each wear, shell will look fantastic. also, AE shells come with better J. Rendenbach soles, which will wear better than AE's standard soles.

Agree with all of the above. I have the burgundy shell Leeds and black calf Leeds. If you start with the shell you will not regret it later like I am. However shell can get welts or water spots if it gets wet, although none of mine have lasted more than a day and brushed out. So my (self) justification for purchasing black shell Leeds now is that I can wear the calf ones in the winter and foul weather and the black shell in summer and when I don't have to travel to regional sites in the winter. After several years of wear my shell Leeds look a lot better to me than the calf ones and I wear them at least 10 times more often then the calf.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, shell and calf.

What I did was e-mail the shoe bank for the list of seconds in my size, then from that list, request Tent Sale pricing on the models that interest me.
What is the e-mail address?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^thanks!

Just phoned in...now the only thing is whether I want to pickup a pair of seconds and bank on the cosmetic flaws associated with them.

Last edited:

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information! I picked up two pairs!

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ which 2 pairs?

Anyone know anything about the pebbled leather AE Leeds? Same leather as calf I assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads