• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$20 toothpaste

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
What is the point of this thread? Sounds like you have all the answers but here's the first hint:

Would you list the ingredients?

Papaya extract, lichen extract, pineapple stem, fluoride, "essential oils", mint, parsley, fennel.

It certainly tastes different. Whether it cleans better I wouldn't know... in that way it feels the same but it does seem a lot fresher.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually, I don't think the FDA "approves" toothpastes and whitener products like it does for drugs. If it had ADA approval, there'd probably be a seal printed somewhere on tube, but if not I'd guess it's still safe to use. Ask your dentist as well.

WSW

Reaction score
I would say Rembrandt is the best widely available toothpaste, even though it is about twice the price of Crest, Colgate and company. My mouth always feels much cleaner and the aftertaste is somewhat more pleasant. Not sure if the whitening effect is noticeable.

I wouldn't buy anything priced above Rembrandt unless I had special dental conditions that required specialty pastes.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Actually, I don't think the FDA "approves" toothpastes and whitener products like it does for drugs. If it had ADA approval, there'd probably be a seal printed somewhere on tube, but if not I'd guess it's still safe to use. Ask your dentist as well.
I think the FDA approves drugs that are in toothpastes (fluoride) rather than specific brands of toothpaste. Denblan is not ADA accepted for what that's worth. Toms of Maine might be the only ADA accepted "natural" toothpaste. The only FDA approved toothpaste is Colgate Total because it contains Triclosan and they submitted for a new drug application. However I don't use this "best" toothpaste because the tartar control ingredient pyrophosphate causes my gums to slough. I doubt the Denblan cleans better than a normal toothpaste but if you like it and you don't mind spending what is really an absurd amount, then it's probably fine.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BYucko
I like how toothpaste companies advertise their products as "natural". Natural orange juice, I understand. Natural veggies, I understand. They can be found from nature. Natural toothpaste, though... ...might as well go search in nature for a natural hair dye. Then go buy some natural cosmetics for your girlfriend. Maybe even grab a natural computer while you're at it.
Are you not aware of the distinction between natural and synthetic? Or, actually, one of the many definitions of "natural"?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by totally epic
I actually prefer Tom's flavor over the artificial sugar taste of Crest/Colgate.
No ****. Which flavor do you use? I think I tried the strawberry one (or some other berry). Despicable.

I'll look for some Rembrandt next time I'm out though.

Originally Posted by HomerJ
I doubt the Denblan cleans better than a normal toothpaste but if you like it and you don't mind spending what is really an absurd amount, then it's probably fine.
I don't know, $14-15 extra bucks doesn't seem like an absurd amount (prescription pastes are significantly higher). And when did Styleforum members become a bunch of penny-pinching Fatwallet forum members?
laugh.gif

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The most expensive toothpaste I've bought was Marvis, which also comes in an old-fashioned tube.

Mmm, Marvis makes some tasty toothpaste. It's available from a bunch of places in the US. I bought mine at the Standard Hotel, but have seen it at Anthropolgy and Barneys, IIRC.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Papaya extract, lichen extract, pineapple stem, fluoride, "essential oils", mint, parsley, fennel.

Lichen can be an irritant. I got a rash using Tom's of Maine unscented deoderant with lichen in it, but they've recently reformulated it to remove the lichen.

My personal fave is plain Arm & Hammer baking soda toothpaste -- NOT the tartar control, whitening stuff (which can irritate your gums).

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea thanks to the people who replied with relevant info...

I like Rembrandt a lot and might just stick with that. This stuff is fine and it tastes exactly liek the ingredients they put in there. It doesn't taste like candy paste like most toothpastes do. However, it leaves a sort of plastic like finish on your teeth which I am not crazy about, but breath wise it's by far the best because your mouth doesn't dry out all day like other toothpaste will.

I also don't get the fact that people think 15-20 is so expensive for toothpaste when they'll spend 100s of dollars on face creams and **** like that. Whatever though.

I'll use this for another week and decide if I like it enough to buy it again... just a little consumer experiment...

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
No ****. Which flavor do you use? I think I tried the strawberry one (or some other berry). Despicable. I'll look for some Rembrandt next time I'm out though. I don't know, $14-15 extra bucks doesn't seem like an absurd amount (prescription pastes are significantly higher). And when did Styleforum members become a bunch of penny-pinching Fatwallet forum members?
laugh.gif

Uhh
lol8[1].gif
$20 for 2.6oz of Denblan or $3 for 6.4oz of Crest. That's more like $40 extra. And I get my toothpaste for free so... here's my currently depleted collection. I've probably used every major brand and type.
imgp1736df9.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW, I use Squigle, which costs about $8, and it is very gentle and doesn't cause canker sores in those who tend to get them. Toothpaste is one of the biggest threats to canker sore victims, so if you have them, Squigle is the way to go.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
FWIW, I use Squigle, which costs about $8, and it is very gentle and doesn't cause canker sores in those who tend to get them. Toothpaste is one of the biggest threats to canker sore victims, so if you have them, Squigle is the way to go.

My roomate got canker sores 24/7, he thought they were from stress. Toothpaste can really do it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads