• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$20 toothpaste

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
My roomate got canker sores 24/7, he thought they were from stress. Toothpaste can really do it?
J knows more than I, but there is a compound in almost all toothpaste that irritates those who suffer from canker sores. You might want to search, or pm him. He did a thread related to them, but that might have been lost in the crash. Edit: Sodium lauryl sulfate is the culprit. It is even in natural toothpastes.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That stuff can also give you weird rashes if you're sensitive to it. I got a different tube of toothpaste a while ago (something by Colgate), and after a few days I had this nasty inflamed rash around my mouth in exactly the same pattern that toothpaste normally dribbles out in. I went back to a cheapo Crest toothpaste with a lower concentration of sodium lauryl sulfate and after a few days the rash was gone. This was a very strange experience - first time that's ever happened to me.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Uhh
lol8[1].gif

$20 for 2.6oz of Denblan or $3 for 6.4oz of Crest. That's more like $40 extra.

And I get my toothpaste for free so... here's my currently depleted collection. I've probably used every major brand and type.

imgp1736df9.jpg

You keep the empty containers of all your used toothpaste?
confused.gif

thewildpig

Reaction score
You're really smart.

It says it's less chemical. I couldn't give a **** about organic bullshit, but most normal toothpaste tastes disgustingly chemical and this **** doesn't.

If it's ****, why are you using it?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
^Although this is very weak as a way to defend your point, it's hilarious as a diss lol.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
by the way, off topic, but if I am correct you are a pretty young proffetional musician, right? it is very impressive that you can afford the lifestyle you have at this point in your career, if that is your primary source of income.

For some of the struggling musicians I've met... $20 toothpaste is an accomplishment.

Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
money>sense

Common ailment nowadays.

Papaya extract, lichen extract, pineapple stem, fluoride, "essential oils", mint, parsley, fennel.

For $20 you could have probably brought everything on that list from a grocery store, mixed it in a bowl, advertise it's handmade, and sell it to some curious buyer on the internet for $40 a tube.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
For some of the struggling musicians I've met... $20 toothpaste is an accomplishment.

Common ailment nowadays.

For $20 you could have probably brought everything on that list from a grocery store, mixed it in a bowl, advertise it's handmade, and sell it to some curious buyer on the internet for $40 a tube.

That applies to so many things that consumers buy everday which they are in essence, overpaying for.

I didn't think you guys had so much trouble comming up with $15 bucks.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You keep the empty containers of all your used toothpaste?
confused.gif

They're not empty. Those are what I've got stockpiled. I had about 25 tubes but gave some away recently.

Originally Posted by iammatt
J knows more than I, but there is a compound in almost all toothpaste that irritates those who suffer from canker sores. You might want to search, or pm him. He did a thread related to them, but that might have been lost in the crash.

Edit: Sodium lauryl sulfate is the culprit. It is even in natural toothpastes.

SDS is in almost all shampoos too.

BYucko

Reaction score
You're really smart.

It says it's less chemical. I couldn't give a **** about organic bullshit, but most normal toothpaste tastes disgustingly chemical and this **** doesn't. If you compare the ingredients in Denblan with regular store brands, there are more natural ingredients. Rembrandt is better than stuff like Crest as well.

I know I'm smart
bigstar[1].gif

I was just trying to say that *I think* your natural toothpaste *probably* doesn't work better than what you can get for a lot cheaper. If you really like the taste, it's up to you. If you're happy with your toothpaste, all the more power to you.

I'll just leave this thread with a few lines from South Park:

"Sharon: Oh hi, Stanley. Look, I'm buying you some more all-natural toothpaste.

Stan: You mean the stuff that tastes like ass and doesn't fight cavities?

Sharon: That's right.

Stan: Look, um… I know that you all think the earth and its natural healing powers can cure Kyle, but… the doctor at the hospital told me it can't.

Miss Information: Well, of course the doctor told you that, because he wants to make money. Holistic medicine is about NATURE. [to Sheila] Two-hundered and thirty-three dollars. "

sidvar

Reaction score
The best, most fistinctive and refreshing toothpase is Euthymol, in a metal tube from England, that can be bought from D.R. Harris in St. James for under 2 pounds a tube. There is a guy on ebay selling 6 tubes for $50 incl shipping, which is good value for money. You use it once, you will never want to stop using it. One word of caution, it doesn't contain fluoride, so if your dentist is keen you have fluoride, you may want to rotate Euthymol with another brand. Hope this helps.
euthymol.jpg

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BYucko
I know I'm smart
bigstar[1].gif

I was just trying to say that *I think* your natural toothpaste *probably* doesn't work better than what you can get for a lot cheaper. If you really like the taste, it's up to you. If you're happy with your toothpaste, all the more power to you.

I'll just leave this thread with a few lines from South Park:

"Sharon: Oh hi, Stanley. Look, I'm buying you some more all-natural toothpaste.

Stan: You mean the stuff that tastes like ass and doesn't fight cavities?

Sharon: That's right.

Stan: Look, um... I know that you all think the earth and its natural healing powers can cure Kyle, but... the doctor at the hospital told me it can't.

Miss Information: Well, of course the doctor told you that, because he wants to make money. Holistic medicine is about NATURE. [to Sheila] Two-hundered and thirty-three dollars. "

yea, I think I already said on the first page that there's no difference with the efficacy of the product.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That applies to so many things that consumers buy everday which they are in essence, overpaying for.
True, but seldom do people overpay for anything as ridiculous as toothpaste. Surely you realize this, or you wouldn't have titled this thread "$20 toothpaste."
I didn't think you guys had so much trouble comming up with $15 bucks.
I have $15... but I have a list of about a billion other things I would waste it on before I got to toothpaste. It reminds me of the episode of Arrested Development where Lindsay buys facial cream for $400 an ounce because it contains diamond dust.
smile.gif

thewildpig

Reaction score
yea, I think I already said on the first page that there's no difference with the efficacy of the product.

Efficacy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads