• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mugnut

Reaction score
I found this MTO Craftsman online, and this represents very much the direction I want to go in a Craftsman-style RMW. Looks like a Craftsman in a slightly heavier brown/dark tan leather (maybe Vesta?), with a leather sole and multi-piece heel. The welt-stitching also looks more prominent/burlier than standard on the Craftsman.

Can anyone help me with the specs I would need to MTO a similar Craftsman? Put differently, what would you need to change from a Standard Craftsman to achieve this result?

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mugnut
My first recommendation for many forum members will be a pair of chestnut kangaroo Craftsman. Those wanting a sleeker look will be pleased with the Turnout in yearling leather (if you choose a narrow width). Those wanting a slightly more casual look should consider the Yearling. Anyone wanting a jodhpur boot should not hesitate in ordering the Stockman boot, although it will NOT be a wholecut. If you want other combinations of heel style, lasts and leathers you will need to put in a custom order. Try emailing Steve for a quote:
- Why wouldn't the first recommendation be the forum special? - It seems like the first boot most people order are yearling in brown? - I like the whiskey color but would like to have something I can wear with a suit. How does whiskey work with (navy and charcoal) suits? - Is my best bet for size stopping in at the store in nyc? tia, jd

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sent an email to steve, the forum special is now $340 AUD + $50 AUD shipping. Works out to around $350 USD. Not sure this is still a value play.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
sent an email to steve, the forum special is now $340 AUD + $50 AUD shipping. Works out to around $350 USD. Not sure if this is still a value play.

Wow, the exchange rate is hammering the price...

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Wow, the exchange rate is hammering the price...

not really. When Satort originally negotiated the deal almost exactly one year ago, the cost was $285 AUD. Steve has raised his price $55AUD in one year, a 19% increase. The increased currency cost is about 13% over the same time period.

It will be interesting to see what prices are like in the nyc store. I'll post tomorrow.

Singular

Reaction score
I read the thread yesterday and had a look on the 'Bay for a pair of Craftsmans (Craftsmen?), but found nothing. Went into one of the local "higher end" men's stores today to have a chat with a friend working there and noticed two pairs of RMWs in the sale section; one pair of far too large black Yardboots and one pair of brown Craftsm...whatever-boots, halv a size down from my normal...

...at ~$200. Didn't take too long to decide...
smile.gif

/M

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the price has gone up, this makes my fitting decision easier. I can just buy them locally. I only want the standard comfort craftsman (fell out of love with the forum special)

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and here is current pricing from steve.

Prices do not include $50Aud shipping:

1. Yearling Craftsman's Core $265.00 MTO $285.00 (Core $284 USD shipped)
2. Kangaroo Craftsman's Core $260.00 MTO $285.00 (Core $280 USD shipped)
3. French Veal Calf MTO $340.00 ($352 USD shipped)

significant discounts still to be had by ordering from steve, even after exchange rate. I'm guessing that the price for French Veal Calf has increased and that's driven the price of the forum special up.

fykchang

Reaction score
Tidybeard, Can you tell me the fit difference in the 543 and 555 last? Do you go with the same size for both?

Thanks

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fykchang
Tidybeard, Can you tell me the fit difference in the 543 and 555 last? Do you go with the same size for both?

Thanks

Hi,

From what I can gather, the Craftsman is on the 543, the Yard Boot is on the 530 and the Yearling on the 522. I went with the same size (10.5G) for the Craftsman and the Yearling and 10G for the Yard boot, which seemed to fit better in the half size smaller (probably due to the wider toe box).

The difference between the Crafsman and the Yearling is minmal - the Yearling is a little snugger in the toe, mainly because of the more pointed shape.

All three fit very well out of the box and are extremely comfortable but it's certainly worth trying each model on if you can.

Hope this helps.

Edit - Just checked the boxes and I'm correct on the Yard Boot and Craftsman, but the Whiskey box says "MTO Elastic Sided Yearling - Whiskey" and the last is B555Y...which I think makes them the MacQuarie after all. Even though the spec sheet here : http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/product...C25838DE1C017F lists the MacQuarie as having a square toe......confused yet? Anyway, I stand by my comments about fit, they are very similar.

fykchang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tidybeard
Hi,

From what I can gather, the Craftsman is on the 543, the Yard Boot is on the 530 and the Yearling on the 522. I went with the same size (10.5G) for the Craftsman and the Yearling and 10G for the Yard boot, which seemed to fit better in the half size smaller (probably due to the wider toe box).

The difference between the Crafsman and the Yearling is minmal - the Yearling is a little snugger in the toe, mainly because of the more pointed shape.

All three fit very well out of the box and are extremely comfortable but it's certainly worth trying each model on if you can.

Hope this helps.

Edit - Just checked the boxes and I'm correct on the Yard Boot and Craftsman, but the Whiskey box says "MTO Elastic Sided Yearling - Whiskey" and the last is B555Y...which I think makes them the MacQuarie after all. Even though the spec sheet here : http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/product...C25838DE1C017F lists the MacQuarie as having a square toe......confused yet? Anyway, I stand by my comments about fit, they are very similar.

Thanks for the help.

TKDKid

Reaction score
I popped into Swaine Adeney Brigg today and noticed that they had these Ariat riding boots on sale:

39627p.jpg

What's interesting about them is that they're basically wholecut chelsea boots. These are of course designed for riding rather than regular day-to-day wear, and the internal construction is very different to that of RM Williams' offerings.

Having said that, it makes me wonder why we don't see more wholecut chelsea boots from other shoemakers.
confused.gif

Mugnut

Reaction score
Having received my Yard boots this weekend, just wanted to post my thoughts on them, esp. with respect to sizing.

I got the Yard boot to replace (or at least complement) a nearly 10 year old pair of chestnut Blundstone 500's. The Blundstone's have done yeoman's duty, and were daily wearers for me for several winters in a New England biz/cas environment. At this point, the Blunnies are seriously bagged out, the gussets are pretty shot, and they have stretched so much that I have put Green superfeet in them to take up some volume, but they still accomodate thicker socks. They are size 8.5 Australian (I am a standard US 9D).

The RMW Yard boots are far more refined than their Blundstone cousins. While they are facially similar, they're really totally different boots. I am surpised by the sleekness of the RMW - I expected something a little burlier/chunkier as it is a work boot. I went with 8G Australian, utilizing the quick and dirty "drop one full size from AUS to US." Much has been made of the width of the RMW - but I will add this: these boots, worn with thinnish dress socks in width "G" do not feel in the slightest bit wide. If anything, they feel pretty narrow. The Blundstones are significantly wider, and were from the get-go.

I would characterize the 8G fit on my US 9D feet as "very snug." They will undoutedly stretch, and the fit does not seem too tight, but there is no way I could stuff thicker socks into these. I would suggest that if you are looking to wear these as work boots with heavier socks that you consider ordering a size and width up. As I am wearing these predominantly for winter wear to and at the office, the snug fit is okay. The scuzzy old Blunnies can still handle the nasty muddy chore boot role.

An interesting phenomenon is that these boots look much smaller on the foot than you would think they would. They are the same length as the blundstone in 8 1/2, and about the same as a pair of Alden LHS I have hanging out under my desk - but they wear far sleeker and apparently smaller on the foot than the Blundstone or even my usual size 9 dress shoes. Kinda strange.

I'll try to post pics. at some point for a face to face comparison with some well-broken in Blundstones . . . but wanted to add some additional data b/c I could not find any sizaing info on the Web specific to the Yard boot itself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads