• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Today it's Commes des Garcon. Kinda cinammon-y. For the holidays.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today it's a scent I'd never heard of - Maupoussin Homme. Basenoters put this as a clean, lavender scent, but I'm getting SL Chergui here - heavy and spicy. It's a fairly close match for Chergui, no less. I can't distinguish the two at the moment. Someone mentioned applying extra mascara when going with this, and I think that's appropriate for those who wear mascara.

Originally Posted by tangerine
My balls are of the literal variety, and they will be even bigger tomorrow when I wear Chanel Cuir de Russie to the company holiday party.
wink.gif

I got the Cabochard thinking it was in the same leather family as Cuir de Russie and Tabac Blond, but it is very different to my nose; much more green and mossy, much less leather and animal.

It lies close to the skin and puts me in a meditative mood.

I can hardly discern any leather in Cabochard, it confuses me terribly and I'll have to spend more time with it, in small doses. Make sure you clean and shine the wheelbarrow this evening - the one you use to tote your stones.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
Continuing the strong, possibly offensive, stuff, I am wearing Kolnisch Juchten, a very meaty fragrance.

What is a good offensive civet scent?

Well, if you can get your hands on pure civet paste, that might be the ne plus ultra of offensive civet scents. I'd heard Muscs Koublai Khan can be incredibly repulsive on some people (think: urinal), but on others it's a tame cotton-candy-vanilla-powder kitten of a scent. Literally, a crapshoot.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Serge Lutens' Cuir Mauresque for me today!

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Continuing the strong, possibly offensive, stuff, I am wearing Kolnisch Juchten, a very meaty fragrance. What is a good offensive civet scent?
Originally Posted by Thomas
Well, if you can get your hands on pure civet paste, that might be the ne plus ultra of offensive civet scents. I'd heard Muscs Koublai Khan can be incredibly repulsive on some people (think: urinal), but on others it's a tame cotton-candy-vanilla-powder kitten of a scent. Literally, a crapshoot.
Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan is offensive on me. At least according to Mrs. Dmax. YSL Kouros is loved by few and hated by many. While lacking any civet, some of Montale's oud scents are very assertive crossing into offensive category to people unaccustomed to oud.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My balls are of the literal variety, and they will be even bigger tomorrow when I wear Chanel Cuir de Russie to the company holiday party.
wink.gif

I got the Cabochard thinking it was in the same leather family as Cuir de Russie and Tabac Blond, but it is very different to my nose; much more green and mossy, much less leather and animal.

It lies close to the skin and puts me in a meditative mood.

How would you categorize Chanel Cuir de Russie?

To me it is softer, gentler leather maybe even similar to suede in Serge Lutens Daim Blond.

As a contrast, a lot more assertive and mucho type of leather fragnances to me are Creed Cuir de Russie and Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque.

tangerine

Reaction score
Continuing the strong, possibly offensive, stuff, I am wearing Kolnisch Juchten, a very meaty fragrance. What is a good offensive civet scent?
I am assuming that nobody is mentioning Jicky because it is too obvious (and possibly not offensive enough.) I can smell the civet in it and I like it the way I like the castoreum in Dzing and whatever the poo note is in Chanel Cuir de Russie (some on BN have said it is civet.)
Originally Posted by Dmax
How would you categorize Chanel Cuir de Russie? To me it is softer, gentler leather maybe even similar to suede in Serge Lutens Daim Blond. As a contrast, a lot more assertive and mucho type of leather fragnances to me are Creed Cuir de Russie and Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque.
ChCdR is what I would call a floral/leather; it starts out with a burst of aldehydic flowers, but after a short time, maybe 20 minutes in cold weather, the leather comes on and dominates for some time. Gradually the civet (?) comes in, and the flowers, leather and **** reverberate grandly for a long time, gradually fading with coumarin harmonics. One of my favorites that I have tried. I have not had the pleasure yet of trying SL Daim Blond, Creed CdR, or SL Cuir Mauresque; I really want to try Cuir Mauresque in a bad way. A friend has promised to send me a sample after the holidays.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^LK, another good, offensive civet is The Different Company "Rose Poivree." Roses, pepper, and civet. Quite a trio.

Anyway, taking another olfactory trip to the tropics in bad weather today with Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Pitahaya.

tangerine

Reaction score
I love Rose PoivrÃ
00a9.png
e, but I don't really notice the civet in it for some reason; I am only conscious of rose and pepper.

Great scent regardless.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love Rose PoivrÃ
00a9.png
e, but I don't really notice the civet in it for some reason; I am only conscious of rose and pepper. Great scent regardless.

Yeah, everybody's nose picks up different things; I'm always amazed on Basenotes when people say that "Fragrance X is a dead ringer for Fragrance Y" when I just don't smell what they are smelling. As well, with a small company like TDC that use natural essences, I wonder if different batches may even have slightly different "smells" depending on the batch of notes they get (I've noticed that sometimes my L'artisans from different batches will smell quite different ((I have two bottles of Patchouli Patch, for example, that seem to have different foci... one seems to have more patchouli and the other seems to have more vanilla))) Anyway, there's definitely civet in there. I get it as a subtly off-putting note in there; the pepper and rose are definitely the most dominant, but there is also something in there, too, that is just a little foul that ISN'T pepper or rose... there's your anal gland secretions of the little cat-like civet.

tangerine

Reaction score
Maybe I should try another bottle. I love it, the civet!

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
So after my package was opened and my cologne stolen I want to re-order; but, have it sent to my parents' house and don't feel like doing ebay again.

Is www.perfume.com legit or does anyone have a solid reccomendation?

I figue this thread would be best to ask than start a new one.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
As well, with a small company like TDC that use natural essences, I wonder if different batches may even have slightly different "smells" depending on the batch of notes they get (I've noticed that sometimes my L'artisans from different batches will smell quite different ((I have two bottles of Patchouli Patch, for example, that seem to have different foci... one seems to have more patchouli and the other seems to have more vanilla)))

I agree that small company fragrances are variable for the reason you mentioned.

I also think that they are variable in strength as well, partly due to experimentation when a new perfume is designed. People are looking for something unusual and "unique" from small company and as long as the fragrance is interesting they will generally be forgiving of slight variations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads