1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Perhaps, but I sprayed twice!
    Ah! I don't think I can take more sprays of the CSP. It's okay in small doses, but too much and I have bees coming and trying to pollinate me. (Also, as for your earlier mention of B&BW, that is one thing I like about CSP is that they have light, tropical, sometimes fruity scents, but use mostly natural ingredients that keep them tolerable. I can't stand most B&BW because it is all synthetic sugary garbage; natural peach is one thing, sugar'd synthetic peach is another. Of course, a $15 bottle of B&BW peach spray compares to an equally sized $75 spray from CSP. You get what you pay for!)

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Ah! I don't think I can take more sprays of the CSP. It's okay in small doses, but too much and I have bees coming and trying to pollinate me.
    That is bad news, indeed, as Ren and Tangerine had yet to weigh in with their choices. We just might have you outnumbered. [​IMG]

3. rach2jlc

That is bad news, indeed, as Ren and Tangerine had yet to weigh in with their choices. We just might have you outnumbered. [​IMG]

That's what you think! (insert evil cackle) Never mess with a guy with more than 100 fragrances. Somewhere on the shelf are also CSP Vanille Pitahaya, Vanille Canelle, and all of the Comme des Garcons Series 7: SWEET.

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

That's what you think! (insert evil cackle) Never mess with a guy with more than 100 fragrances. Somewhere on the shelf are also CSP Vanille Pitahaya, Vanille Canelle, and all of the Comme des Garcons Series 7: SWEET.

A pop-gun with 100 different rubber darts does not an army make. [​IMG]

5. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

o.k., o.k.---- this is the last day of the year. Just finished a killer Bikram yoga class this morning, yes killer because he taught a 2 hour class. I got home looked at what's in my wardrobe and had to reach for my black bottle of Dorissima's Narziss. Let go of the old and welcome the new!!

6. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Can any of you confirm that as long as you keep your fragrances in their box, in a cool and dark environment, they won't alter (even after a year or so of little to no usage?)

7. rach2jlc

Can any of you confirm that as long as you keep your fragrances in their box, in a cool and dark environment, they won't alter (even after a year or so of little to no usage?)
    For the most part, this is true, but it does depend on the fragrance and such. But, a year or more should be absolutely fine. I have some vintage bottles that are thirty or forty years old and smell perfectly fine. Light, heat, and radical temperature variation are the biggest enemies of fragrance, so as long as you don't have the bottles near the window, on the radiator, etc. you should be fine. (added note: going out to a New Year's Party tonight with TDC Jasmin de Nuit)

8. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

New Year's Eve-- my scent was Czech and Speake's Limited Edition Cuba. Happy New Year everybody!!!

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

For the most part. I've got a few bottles of Antaeus (80's vintage) that are still good today. I think that scents with lighter openings don't fare as well, though - orange/citrus notes (iirc) tend to degrade earlier, but then again they are the first notes to fade after applying.

Today I slept in and am in a quandry. I could go with the classic (Antaeus) or the new (Helmut Lang) which just arrived last night. I don't have to be presentable until around noon so my grooming deadline is a long way away. Decisions, Decisions.

I also received a Vetiver (don't recognize the house) along with the HL, and it's better than I was expecting. Not quite Guerlain Vetiver, but still a keeper.

10. rach2jlc

For the most part. I've got a few bottles of Antaeus (80's vintage) that are still good today. I think that scents with lighter openings don't fare as well, though - orange/citrus notes (iirc) tend to degrade earlier, but then again they are the first notes to fade after applying.

Today I slept in and am in a quandry. I could go with the classic (Antaeus) or the new (Helmut Lang) which just arrived last night. I don't have to be presentable until around noon so my grooming deadline is a long way away. Decisions, Decisions.

I also received a Vetiver (don't recognize the house) along with the HL, and it's better than I was expecting. Not quite Guerlain Vetiver, but still a keeper.

What company makes your Vetiver, Thomas?

And... hell... you turned me to the dark side. It's Antaeus for me today and I'm having a great time (haha).

I'm curious to hear your impression of the HL.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

What company makes your Vetiver, Thomas?

And... hell... you turned me to the dark side. It's Antaeus for me today and I'm having a great time (haha).

I'm curious to hear your impression of the HL.

The box reads Malizia Uomo Vetyver, looks kind of old (70's - 80's feel) and Italian. Smells fine (peppery), it might keep me away from the Guerlain, at least until the next Amex billing cycle...

HL...I'm not quite sure about. I surreptitiously dabbed a small bit on as company was arriving last night and sniffed it throughout the evening. No sillage to speak of. I got butter-cookie musk, which certainly has its charms. I'll give it a few more goes and see how it all plays out.

I still haven't decided today's SOTD yet. Just finished breakfast and have yet to shower. Since you're wearing Antaeus, I now have to decide whether to keep the universe in harmony, provide light to the darkness, yin to yang. Decisions, Decisions.

12. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Beautiful New Year's Day in L.A. so it's going to be Romeo Gigli's Sud Est!! Love the drydown of this one.

13. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I got him this one:
    [​IMG]

For myself I liked Iris and Vetiver.

I picked up the Vetiver today. Got a whiff of the pure Civet oil downstairs in the mixing lab - that is some potent stuff. Of the other two raw animalics I sniffed, the Castoreum was even nastier though the Ambroxen/Amber was barely there.

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Went with the Helmut Lang today. Sugar cookie musk.

15. dopey

Went with the Helmut Lang today. Sugar cookie musk.
    Sugar cookie musk? What the hell is that? A cookie you kept in your underwear while you rode a vespa for a half hour to your office?

16. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Sugar cookie musk? What the hell is that?

A cookie you kept in your underwear while you rode a vespa for a half hour to your office?

Tom Ford might like that. Who knows, now that you've posted this, he'll start working on his next scent - Vespa cookie crotch.

I don't have a Vespa so I can't say that it's Exactly as you describe, but those are the two main scents I get. Sugar Cookie (or butter cookie), and a light musk scent. It's peculiar but not offensive at all.

17. rach2jlc

That's a pretty good description of the HL, Thomas. The Eau de Parfum, which is the same scent, is more intense and has a little more "smut" but still very relaxed and subdued. I like to layer them together for some intensely smutty sugar cookie musk.

As such, I think you've given me an idea for my SOTD (haven't sprayed any on yet!) HL EdC layered with EdP.

18. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

The world has righted itself and I'm wearing Antaeus for the first workday of 2008.

19. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Fumerie Turque for me today!

20. dopey

Tom Ford might like that. Who knows, now that you've posted this, he'll start working on his next scent - Vespa cookie crotch.

I don't have a Vespa so I can't say that it's Exactly as you describe, but those are the two main scents I get. Sugar Cookie (or butter cookie), and a light musk scent. It's peculiar but not offensive at all.

Vespa Cookie Crotch - that will sell based on the name alone. I know I would buy it. I doubt I would use it, but I would certainly get a bottle for show.