• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bacon.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wrapped the top of my turducken with bacon this weekend to prevent the breasts from drying out during the last 2 hours of cooking. The bacon came out perfect, too. Yumm...

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
I take a subversive joy in frying up a pan of bacon every saturday morning before the eyes of my 4 Jewish roommates, two of whom keep kosher.

The prohibition on bacon alone would be enough to drive me to worship at the altar of Baal...

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was hungry last night, and I knew just the remedy: a sub.

I ordered chicken salad, cheddar, lettuce, tomato, oil....and EXTRA bacon. It was like biting into a little slice of heaven.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Last night: bacon, onion, avacado omelete with sour dough toast.

Tonight: crumble left over bacon into Stove Top stuffing, mix with blue cheese. Take huge portabella mushrooms coated in olive oil, BBQ the "gills" side, flip and stuff with the above mixture and grill another 10 minutes.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Last night: bacon, onion, avacado omelete with sour dough toast.

Tonight: crumble left over bacon into Stove Top stuffing, mix with blue cheese. Take huge portabella mushrooms coated in olive oil, BBQ the "gills" side, flip and stuff with the above mixture and grill another 10 minutes.

What is "left over bacon"???

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
What is "left over bacon"???

laugh.gif
Point taken.

In my defense though, I had eaten so much bacon while I was cooking, I was so stuffed, one more bite and I would have hurled.

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
I take a subversive joy in frying up a pan of bacon every saturday morning before the eyes of my 4 Jewish roommates, two of whom keep kosher.

The prohibition on bacon alone would be enough to drive me to worship at the altar of Baal...

That reminds me of being a student at Hebrew University in Jerusalem in the early 1980's. I lived in the dorms. About 2/3 of the floor was Jewish (foreign, like me and Israeli) and 1/3 was Arab (2 Muslim, 2 Christian and 2 Druze). One of the Druze guys was a friend of mine. He had never tasted Bacon (forbidden for them too) and wanted me to cook some in our kitchen on the 5th floor. I thought about it, but then decided that someone on that floor might kill me if they figured out what it was.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

It must be a ***** keeping kosher around you. They must have their own dairy and meat cupboards and separate prep areas and cooking surfaces? Not to mention two complete sets of dishes and flatware (one meat, one dairy). I mean, there's much more to kosher than just not eating pork. I'd think they'd need their own fridge too as pork is the ultimate trafe.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Someone posted a recipe for cooking bacon in the oven. I can't find it, but tell me if this is right:

Put bacon on a wire rack, with a baking sheet underneath. Heat up the oven with the bacon in there to about 350. Cook to desired crispiness.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Someone posted a recipe for cooking bacon in the oven. I can't find it, but tell me if this is right:

Put bacon on a wire rack, with a baking sheet underneath. Heat up the oven with the bacon in there to about 350. Cook to desired crispiness.

I line a baking sheet with non-stick foil and put the bacon on that. 350 should a fine temp.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A Priest and a Rabbi are riding in a plane. After a while, the Priest turns to the Rabbi and asks, "Is it still a requirement of your faith that you not eat pork?"

The Rabbi responds, "Yes, that is still one of our beliefs."

The Priest then asks, "Have you ever eaten pork?"

To which the Rabbi replies, "Yes, on one occasion I did succumb to temptation and tasted pork."

The Priest nodded in understanding and went on with his reading. A while later, the Rabbi spoke up and asked the Priest, "Father, is it still a requirement of your church that you remain celibate?"

The Priest replied, "Yes, that is still very much a part of our faith."

The Rabbi then asked him, "Father, have you ever fallen to the temptations of the flesh?"

The Priest replied, "Yes Rabbi, on one occasion I was weak and broke with my faith."

The Rabbi nodded understandingly for a moment and then said, "A lot better than pork isn't it?"

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
A Priest and a Rabbi are riding in a plane. After a while, the Priest turns to the Rabbi and asks, "Is it still a requirement of your faith that you not eat pork?" The Rabbi responds, "Yes, that is still one of our beliefs." The Priest then asks, "Have you ever eaten pork?" To which the Rabbi replies, "Yes, on one occasion I did succumb to temptation and tasted pork." The Priest nodded in understanding and went on with his reading. A while later, the Rabbi spoke up and asked the Priest, "Father, is it still a requirement of your church that you remain celibate?" The Priest replied, "Yes, that is still very much a part of our faith." The Rabbi then asked him, "Father, have you ever fallen to the temptations of the flesh?" The Priest replied, "Yes Rabbi, on one occasion I was weak and broke with my faith." The Rabbi nodded understandingly for a moment and then said, "A lot better than pork isn't it?"
The joke would be better if it ended with "Was the sausage better, Father?"

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I line a baking sheet with non-stick foil and put the bacon on that. 350 should a fine temp.

I have better success putting it under the broiler. If you keep an eye on it, you can hit that balance between crispy and chewy.

Bacon is the reason I stopped being a vegetarian. Poor vegetarianism never stood a chance. I'm convinced that bacon really isn't meat at all - it's achieved some plane of existence beyond meat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads