Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bacon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Connemara, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Cooked and ate a pound of thick cut uncured bacon today.

2. DNW

DNW Senior member

I woke up to the smell of my dad frying up some bacon this morning. I like to think that Heaven will offer this feeling on a perpetual basis.

Were you deprived as a child? Get up and make some bacon your self, slacker.

3. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

It must be a bitch keeping kosher around you. They must have their own dairy and meat cupboards and separate prep areas and cooking surfaces? Not to mention two complete sets of dishes and flatware (one meat, one dairy). I mean, there's much more to kosher than just not eating pork. I'd think they'd need their own fridge too as pork is the ultimate trafe.
    I would have though that coming in, but I guess they are flexi-Jews or something. They're not that strict about it. Maybe that's not strictly kosher, but whatever. We have separate plates and pans and silverware, and I respect those boundaries and only eat my meat on my own plates and dishes.. But we use the same stove and fridges and so forth. We're all quite good friends since freshman year, so it's all good. Anyways, it's their 4000-year traditions. Apparently as long as they don't know if I mess something up, there's no blame that can be attached to them. So I could theoretically(AFAIK), fry up my bacon in their pans and then wash it off and if they were none the wiser, no harm done. There's something curiously civilized and rational about that. I guess it has to make up for the sheer raving irrationality of thinking God gives a flying fuck about pork asses in the first place!!

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I would have though that coming in, but I guess they are flexi-Jews or something.

Lol, goes to my opinion that most folks are only religious to the point it becomes very inconvenient. Sort of like the teenage unwed mother that won't abort her baby due to her "religion", forgetting all those parts about not whoring around and stuff. [​IMG]

I guess it has to make up for the sheer raving irrationality of thinking God gives a flying fuck about pork asses in the first place!!

My thought exactly.

5. rxcats

rxcats Senior member

I don't believe in god (or anything supernatural for that matter), but consider myself to be a Jew ethnically and culturally. I have a pretty good background in religion, having gone through about 10 years of religious school and having lived in and studied in Israel for 3 years. My mother is a convert to Judaism; my maternal grandparents were Southern Baptist and many of my cousins, on that side of the family, are Episcopalian. I've heard it all; I grew up in the middle of the Bible Belt (Charlotte, NC). Jim & Tammy Bakker lived there and Billy Graham was born about a mile from where my parents live. I've been "witnessed" too many times to count and had orthodox Jews try to bring me over to their way of thinking as well (which is also annoying).

That being said, I can tell you that kashrut (keeping Kosher) can also be cultural and may be practiced, to some degree, even by atheist. I knew many people in Israel (Jews and Muslims) that thought the idea of eating pig was disgusting even though they did not practice religion at all. It isn't a difficult concept; how many people here would like to eat dog or monkey? To some degree, it is just a cultural bias regarding what is considered "edible".

Some of the rules of kashrut had survival value. Not only does kosher meat have to be from a kosher animal (cloven hoof and chew it's cud), but it also has to be slaughtered in a way that drains out the blood. After that, it must be kashered by salting and soaking it. This preserves the meat and protects from bacterial growth; there are obvious benefits to this in the days before refrigeration. Certainly I do not believe that anyone understood this at the time, but the people that had these customs, and practiced them (Jews/Muslims), had some survival advantage over the ones that didn't and likely perpetuated the practice.

One of my professors at Hebrew University of Jerusalem had, what I think, was the best explanation of why Jewish dietary laws developed in the first place. He said that since feasts and "breaking bread" were (and still are) an important part of socialization, dietary restrictions helped prevent the Jews from mixing with the "pagans" in the area. This helped to preserve the Jewish culture by preventing assimilation. He also mentioned that the similarity in dietary and burial ritual between Jews and Muslims made conversion to Islam much more palatable to Jews than conversion to Christianity.

I hope that the Jewish people continue to survive as a culture, but I still plan to eat bacon. I am afraid that pork (except for ham) is my favorite meat. I LOVE pork tenderloin too.

6. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Interesting post (and background) rxcats. I agree with most of what you've said but I think you forgot the talmudic tract which states that according to Jewish dietary law, pork and shellfish may be eaten only in Chinese restaurants. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. rxcats

rxcats Senior member

Interesting post (and background) rxcats. I agree with most of what you've said but I think you forgot the talmudic tract which states that according to Jewish dietary law, pork and shellfish may be eaten only in Chinese restaurants. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ha! Yes, but that is for Reform Jews only! I actually did eat at a kosher Chinese restaurant in Netanya (Israel) that served kosher "shrimp". It couldn't have really been shrimp, but it did taste like it. I guess they could have paid off the Rabbi for the (c)hecksher (not sure how to spell that in English).

8. Piobaire

Some of the rules of kashrut had survival value. Not only does kosher meat have to be from a kosher animal (cloven hoof and chew it's cud), but it also has to be slaughtered in a way that drains out the blood.
    Now I'm no mashgichim, but I thought the cloven hoof was to be avoided. Like say, a pig's? Horse, camel, gazelle...safe to eat, no cloven hoof. Pig = cloven hoof. I can check in with a mashgichim probably Friday night. Somehow I got roped into going to a Shabbas dinner.

9. rxcats

rxcats Senior member

Now I'm no mashgichim, but I thought the cloven hoof was to be avoided. Like say, a pig's? Horse, camel, gazelle...safe to eat, no cloven hoof. Pig = cloven hoof. I can check in with a mashgichim probably Friday night. Somehow I got roped into going to a Shabbas dinner.
    Leviticus 11:1 Now the LORD spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying to them, 2 "Speak to the children of Israel, saying, 'These [are] the animals which you may eat among all the animals that [are] on the earth: 3 'Among the animals, whatever divides the hoof, having cloven hooves [and] chewing the cud -- that you may eat. I think pigs also have cloven hooves, BUT they do NOT chew their cud. Horses (also non-kosher) do not have cloven hooves.

10. Piobaire

Leviticus 11:1 Now the LORD spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying to them, 2 "Speak to the children of Israel, saying, 'These [are] the animals which you may eat among all the animals that [are] on the earth: 3 'Among the animals, whatever divides the hoof, having cloven hooves [and] chewing the cud -- that you may eat.

I think pigs also have cloven hoofs, BUT they do NOT chew their cud. Horses (also non-kosher) do not have cloven hooves.

As I said, I'm no mashgichim. You're right, cloven hoof and cud chewer. Glad I'm godless.

11. rxcats

rxcats Senior member

Glad I'm godless.

Me too!!!

Don't confuse my interest or my slightly better than basic knowledge of religion as being a "believer". My signature line expresses my thoughts on the subject.

One of my colleagues, who hales from Mississippi (he is actually ethnic Chinese) and is a republican born-again Christian, once asked how I could know so much about religion and not believe in god. I countered that I couldn't understand how he could profess to believe in religion (Christianity) and know so little about it.

It is so funny when people try "witnessing" to me and they have no real knowledge of the bible; they are armed only with a few silly Calvinist apologist metaphors. I chew them up and spit them out (but not in any nasty way). While I am sure that there are many religious people in the world who "know their stuff", most of the ones I encounter do not.

12. VMan

VMan Senior member

Recent research indicates pigs are capable of abstract reasoning, and may have the intelligence of a toddler.

Last night I watched a documentary on the subject, which included several such experiments in which the pigs demonstrated their brainpower.

I know people who refuse to eat pork due to this fact.

13. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Recent research indicates pigs are capable of abstract reasoning, and may have the intelligence of a toddler. Last night I watched a documentary on the subject, which included several such experiments in which the pigs demonstrated their brainpower. I know people who refuse to eat pork due to this fact.
    So...like...they know they taste good? You just blew my mind!

14. romafan

romafan Senior member

15. TheHoff

TheHoff Senior member

I'm phoning to order a Neuske's bacon sampler when they open [​IMG]