• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you hate your job?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ehhh ****. I forgot the "unemployed" option. Can a mod insert that please?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't hate my present job (though I did hate the last) ... but I more hate my industry (market research) ... it bores me to tears ...

chessplayer

Reaction score
Don't hate it, but can be pretty boring. I think I could do more for my company.

Laffertron

Reaction score
Gotta chime in on the negatory here. I absolutely love my job. I am an IP services engineer, we joke about how we build the internet (we do, when you are peering with other organisations that want to advertise routes to their IP address, that is the internet). The only problem is it's a bit lacking in the development area, which is why I'm about to start a job working in one of the sales teams.

Chessplayer, what would you do? If I were in your situation in my current company, I'd let my boss know what I thought and ask if there was any extra work I could take on to develop my career and make my job more interesting. If you prove that you can handle extra responsibility you will begin to make a name for yourself and will be first in mind when they have a promotion available.

chessplayer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laffertron
Chessplayer, what would you do? If I were in your situation in my current company, I'd let my boss know what I thought and ask if there was any extra work I could take on to develop my career and make my job more interesting. If you prove that you can handle extra responsibility you will begin to make a name for yourself and will be first in mind when they have a promotion available.

Yes, you are right. I'm currently trying to figure out what extra stuff I want to do and talk to my superior about these issues.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Working at the library is terrible. Hourly pay sucks ($7.11/hour), job is boring, no benefits, the only good part is the flexible schedule.

Volunteer firefighting is the best.

JB

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i love what i do, and i love doing it in Vietnam where basically no one else has blazed these trails. Keeps me entertained.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rather like my job. It's pretty insignificant cubicle work (I'm a Medical Editor). The work itself isn't fulfilling, but I like my superiors. It's easy going, so I can browse forums and what not. I just wish I could wear a tie without being "that guy."

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
i love what i do, and i love doing it in Vietnam where basically no one else has blazed these trails. Keeps me entertained.

Pray tell, what is it that you do?

Also can everyone else posting here nominate what they do ... I'm looking for potential future career moves!
laugh.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
i run a public relations consultancy

Mat, maybe, i can pay you, to help my image, on the forum, and remove the stigma, of gayness?
lol8[1].gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had one of those "work-ethicy" upbringings common among the offspring of middle-class immigrants, so I have been continuously employed in at least one if not more jobs ever since I was 14. I've done everything from repacking frozen fish loins at a cold storage warehouse (stanky) to serving as the Vice-Chancellor of the Boston branch of the Royal Norwegian Consulate (swanky). By my count this is the 15th job of my life, and it's easily the best.

Being a technical services Librarian (means I catalog books, rather than help you find them) suits my current state in life just fine: ok pay for my needs; laid-back work schedule; intelligent people (lowest density of AmJack meatwads in the workplace yet!); fairly engaging work; virtually free Master's Degree in anything I want (union WOOT!); and I can wear tweed to work every day if I want.

Is it "stimulating"? Yeah, enough.
Is it "fulfilling"? no, is work supposed to be?
Is it something i want to do for the rest of my life? No way, but it sure is a great stepping stone

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
couldn't be happier with my job - best job I've ever had, best boss, couldn't be happier

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll guess I'll be one of the first to say I hate my job.

My last job was great, but the company restructured and they eliminated my job after I had been there only a year. I was unemployed for about 4 months and I took my current job so I would still be getting paid.

From the beginning this job has been a disappointment. The business is extremely unstable with little hope of recovering for the next 18 months or so. Not to mention the volume of the division is about half the size I was told when I was interviewing. I was never really placed in the role that was discussed when I interviewed. The president of the division promised me it was just how he had to work around HR and he was going to make the official change, but then he quit before he got to that. Then the CEO decides they don't need me in the division I was hired for and asked me to take on a new role in the company developing a planning department that hasn't existed here previously. While it is a decent role in the company, it is not the direction I want to take my career. I started in planning 10 years ago and made a move to sales because that was the direction I wanted to go and more closely matched my skills and interests. I have had success in sales and my career has progressed over the years and I plan on continuing on that path.

So now I am still looking for the next opportunity, hoping something good comes along soon. I've interviewed with 3 different companies lately that all went great. I got fantastic feedback, I had great interactions with my prospective boss and others I met with and then, when they make a hiring decision, they decide that they want to hire a more junior person with less experience. WTF? In 2 cases the actually downgraded the job title and hired a junior person. In all 3 cases I have been contacted by the company and told that they really liked me and they were hoping the could find a position that would be a better fit in the company down the road. I am just hoping that one of those opportunities arises soon.

Ok, thats enough ranting from me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads