• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you hate your job?

adversity04

Reaction score
I'm an intern and I do programming and database queries. What would be more fun than that?
baldy[1].gif
Can't wait for this to be over....I think I want to go into program/product management or technical sales. Who knows!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I picked "other".

I do not hate my career per se, actually, I think it is the best combination of salary/hours required/general work baggage that I could hope to find at this time. In fact, I think the salary is generous. However, I do hate having to work in a conventional way, i.e. expected attendance Mon-Fri on a regular basis, etc.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topcatny
In all 3 cases I have been contacted by the company and told that they really liked me and they were hoping the could find a position that would be a better fit in the company down the road. I am just hoping that one of those opportunities arises soon.
good luck with it topcat

flylot74

Reaction score
I love my job. It's not just a job but a way of life. It is what I am. When I retire, I will miss the work and most of all the people. I am honored to surrounded with the brightest, intellectually stimulating, focused cadre one could ever hope for. I will truly miss them when I am gone.

The one thing that I have going for me is that I have so many active interests outside of my job. I often joke about that my job is what I do in between all the music I play, the sporting clays I shoot and the opera and plays I attend.

A sad little known fact outside my profession is that many of us when we retire often die (and too often from suicide) soon after retirement. I think it's because some of us focus so much of our identity on our proffession that we don't know what we do with ourselves after retirement. Not me, I look forward to retirement, but I will still miss the people.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want to say that I love my job, because I think there are more important things in my life than my job, but I really like it. I especially love when I get opportunities to advocate, such as when I appear in court, when I represent clients at depositions, mediations, arbitrations, hearings, etc. Of course, you need to do a ton of preparation to do those things, which can sometimes get hectic, but you gotta do what you gotta do. The hours can sometimes be rough.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't have been happier at where I worked this summer and will be going back to. I'd much rather not work than spend a large part of my waking hours suffering.

Earthmover

Reaction score
My job goes in waves, but I'm at a place where I don't hate it right now. Thanks to the credit market laying low for a bit, work's going slow and manageable, unlike the craziness I had to deal with in the past. It helps that I don't harbor illusions that I will make a career out of being a corporate lawyer. I actually do find what I do interesting, but since I am interested a lot of other things, the thing that makes me miserable tends to be the lack of time for other things and the unpredictable schedule.

doink

Reaction score
Other - I hated my last couple of jobs, but have a passion for the profession and what it should / could be. The problem is that due to politics and greasy people (for lack of a better word) the profession and what it has to offer to people (resdients/developers) is hindered by those same people.

Because of this I have gone back to school (MBA) and am loking at taking the skills(visioning, understanding of many differetn items and how they all relate to one another, writing) I have and developing a new career that can make a difference in a similar manner, but is less reliant on others to make things happen.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Other- I'm a college student who is almost finished with undergrad but planning to go to grad school.

I'm still on the fence of what to do with my history degree. I do enjoy history and the thought of pursuing a doctorate and teaching at a university is appealing to me. I like the thought of teaching classes on the college level. However, i'm less than excited about the being forced to write multiple books in order to move up in the academic world. Especially since talking to a few history professors, they are frustrated with the system of hiring history professors and getting tenure in the sense that becoming mildly famous is more important than being a great teacher and having well written, albeit not as widly circulated, essays/books.

I almost am thinking i might be happy in a job that, while not as fulfilling, may offer me more money, and less stress. Academia is always on your mind and stressing you even if you're not dealing with your teaching class or even if it's summer and you're not teaching. I'm still not sure and am just going to do my best to not hate my job in the future.

less fulfilling/more freedom/less stress or more fulfilling/interesting/more stressful/less free time

Hopefully, i'll be able to be one the guys who are happy with their job and the lifestyle their life allows them to have.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I like my "dad" job more than my "lawyer" job, but I like being a lawyer, too. Like most jobs, it can be difficult, depressing, or frustrating at times. If I won the lottery I probably wouldn't still be doing it, or at least not in the same way that I do now. But it's usually interesting and challenging, and I work with smart, ethical, dedicated people. Although there are certainly bad apples out there, the majority of opposing lawyers I deal with are honorable and competent or better -- people with whom you can make a professional, gentleman's agreement that will usually be honored until things get documented (or even without the hassle of documentation). Contrary to public opinion, I think the legal system gets things right, at least approximately so, more often than it gets them wrong. I enjoy playing a role in that process. I've also been fortunate enough to spend my entire career at two firms that have allowed me to engage in a good deal of pro bono work, which for me is critical to professional satisfaction.

Given the limited range of options for someone with my limited skill set -- for example, on a good day my vertical leap is about 8", and my fastball maxes out at about 70 mph -- I'm glad to be doing what I do.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the work I do:)
laugh.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm an "other". I sold my company after 28 years and have had the last few years to catch up on life and seek out my next big adventure. I have spent time investigating new opportunities that use my strategic and creative skills (the most fun parts of my previous career). I never thought it would take so long, but if I find the right 'thing" it will be worth it.

To all of you who hate your jobs, a few words of advice. Everyone hates what they do from time-to-time. You need to look for reasons to fall in love with your work all over again. Give it some time, but if you can't make it work, then move on to something else. Don't get stuck. You will regret it. And, good luck!

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Working at the library is terrible. Hourly pay sucks ($7.11/hour), job is boring, no benefits, the only good part is the flexible schedule.

Volunteer firefighting is the best.

JB

I would think working in a library would be a good way to meet cute girls.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads