• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unexpected encounters with celebrities

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Like Tucker Carlson, you might want to bring one of your pansy friends along for protection. At 80 she could still probably kick your candy ass.

The Lady is not for turning.

As for me... let's see. Phil Schreier and James Burke.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many years ago, my mom sat next to Bjork on an IcelandAir flight. She had no idea who she was, and ventually asked her why all the stewardesses wanted her autograph.

redtree00

Reaction score
Living in NY I see celebrities all the time.
Off the top of my head...

Michael Jordan outside of Grand Central
LL Cool J in front of my office building
Mo Vaughn in front of my office building
Danny Aiello crossing 57th street
Jackie Mason on central park south
Steve Harvey walking on 3rd ave
Kelis and Nas at the Las Vegas airport luggage carousel

Giulliani, Pataki, Spitzer, Bloomberg, Hillary and many other politicians (my office is in the same building as the Governor of NY)

Practically half the latin players on the major league baseball rosters in the late 90's. They all used to hang out at Jimmy's Bronx Cafe and Mirage.

John Franco (former closer for the Mets), used to see him all the time at a deli on Stillwell ave in Brooklyn. Very friendly guy.

Ariel Sharon used to meet with my former boss on a regular basis (before he was prime minister, mid to late 90's) I got to chit chat with him on many occasions.

I am still kicking myself over this one ...
I got invited to dinner by these two hot women, I saw them months later hawking cosmetics on some infomercial, stupid me turned them down as my gf at the time was waiting home for me.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My father once saw Nixon in Shanghai, with his huge Lincoln limousine driving down the avenues and various bodyguards alongside.

Also, the Emperor Haile Selassie in his Mercedes 600 also in Shanghai. He used to keep his chihuahua dog in his coat pockets.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
My father once saw Nixon in Shanghai, with his huge Lincoln limousine driving down the avenues and various bodyguards alongside.

Also, the Emperor Haile Selassie in his Mercedes 600 also in Shanghai. He used to keep his chihuahua dog in his coat pockets.

my mother went to school with 2 of haile selassie's sons at colombia. once, when he came to new york, my mother had dinner with him (and his son's).

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Back in the '70's I had dinner w/ Ted Simmons (Cards catcher -I'm not sure how famous he is/was) after a Mets game against St. Louis. He drank 5 or 6 Michelobs and chainsmoked Tarrytons.

Uma Thurman used to go to our town on Fire Island. I'd see her at the beach and in the general store. Brooke and Andre, before that. Stanley Tucci has been out the last few years.

I've (literally) run into Ethan Hawke while dropping my kids off at school. He was delivering a forgotten lunchbox.

Jimmy Carter was on our flight out of Bozeman after a fishing trip. Seemed like a nice guy, walked through the whole plane shaking hands and talking to fisherman.
Same experience (different flights) w/ Tom Brokaw and Brent Musberger, except they just read up in first class.

I sat next to Chris Noth(? Mr. Big) at my local watering hole. He was getting pretty FU'd and watching NCAA tournament.

Several shared subway rides w/ David Byrne. Also, typical NYC celeb sidewalk sightings.

A friend was in the mensroom at some club or restaurant and heard some crazy ********/farting sounds accompanied by weird chuckling and snickering from one of the stalls. Big flush, door opened and out walked Jack Nicholson.
bigstar[1].gif

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At espn the weekend at mgm studios a few years ago, a friend and i were waiting in line for the Star Wars line. All of a sudden we realized that Karl Ravech (baseball tonight and espn) was in front of us in line and he saw my friend's white sox hat, turned and said in his anchor man voice "Hey guys, did you just hear? Nomar was just traded to the cubs less than an hour ago". It was weird getting a sportscenter update in real life from an anchor in line.
Cool. I love seeing sportscasters/radio personalities in the flesh--and finding out whether their personas match their real personalities.

Nixon attended a few of my little league games (his grandson was in the same league).

I used to work in a building that housed a hip hop station's studios, so I saw quite a few celebs just going to or from work--LL, the Game (this was a few years ago), etc. I rode in the elevator with Biz Markie a few times. Breathes through his mouth.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jessica Lange: I roomed with her brother in college and we all got wasted one night at our house.
Ralph Nader: he was speaking on campus and it went late. The Union was closing so I invited him to continue the discussion in my living room. Odd dude.
Hilliary Rodham Clinton: tried to talk myself onto her airplane to Little Rock. She replied, "not a chance in hell."
Hubert Humphrey: got him hellaciously drunk at a party my father hosted.
George HW Bush: he was head of CIA at the time. I had dinner with him. A very, very gracious and kind man.
Willie Nelson: ran smack dab into him very early one morning in Waikiki; he was out for a jog, I was heading back to my hotel after a night of drinking. I rounded a corner and he ran right into me. We both fell to the sidewalk.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my picture taken with ManFaye at an anime convention two years ago. He tried to sell me a tshirt.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Booo. Too many of these are "look who I met that was famous." It's about the unexpected encounters. I'll add one of my favorites:

Mike D nearly ran me over with his low rider bicycle on Mercer & Houston.

There's some kind of Apple or computer store across the street from us. I was crossing the street, arms laden w/ groceries, when a shiny BMW almost ran me over. This HUGE-breasted woman spills out of the passenger side and Ice T (Cube? The guy from L&O SVU) climbs out of the driver's seat and heads into the store...

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
A friend was in the mensroom at some club or restaurant and heard some crazy ********/farting sounds accompanied by weird chuckling and snickering from one of the stalls. Big flush, door opened and out walked Jack Nicholson.
bigstar[1].gif

bounce2.gif
crackup[1].gif
bigstar[1].gif

"Just wait till they get a load of me!"

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
There's some kind of Apple or computer store across the street from us. I was crossing the street, arms laden w/ groceries, when a shiny BMW almost ran me over. This HUGE-breasted woman spills out of the passenger side and Ice T (Cube? The guy from L&O SVU) climbs out of the driver's seat and heads into the store...

That has to be Ice T's wife. She's SCARY.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Ralph Nader: he was speaking on campus and it went late.

This reminded me of the night we almost ran over a jaywalking Timothy Leary. After giving a talk on campus (early 90's, shortly before death), he and a lady friend were walking around downtown Gainesville. We had to stop short as they cut in front of us to cross the street; he waved a friendly hello and a smile.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DR - Didn't you have an Andre the Giant encounter, too?
confused.gif

We were seated next to GHWB, Barbara and numerous grandkids while out to dinner in Kennebunkport. Seemed like a very congenial family....

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Jessica Lange: I roomed with her brother in college and we all got wasted one night at our house.
Ralph Nader: he was speaking on campus and it went late. The Union was closing so I invited him to continue the discussion in my living room. Odd dude.
Hilliary Rodham Clinton: tried to talk myself onto her airplane to Little Rock. She replied, "not a chance in hell."
Hubert Humphrey: got him hellaciously drunk at a party my father hosted.
George HW Bush: he was head of CIA at the time. I had dinner with him. A very, very gracious and kind man.
Willie Nelson: ran smack dab into him very early one morning in Waikiki; he was out for a jog, I was heading back to my hotel after a night of drinking. I rounded a corner and he ran right into me. We both fell to the sidewalk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads