• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by faust
Have the alterations there generally been to your satisfaction? I would rather send him to Cardelino. He is not a guy who usually spends a lot of money on clothes, but he did want one nice suit. I feel bad enough already for him dropping a good amount on it - wouldn't want to hit him with another $100 in alterations.

I've been happy with the alterations are Cardelino.

kshah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
I think I met you there. You were with your wife.

How did the suit turn out?

You may have mistaken me for another person, however I did pick up the suit. They did a great job, took 2 more suits to them for alterations. $200 for tailoring three suits is manageable.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried Cardelino on a cheap jackets (Jcrew sale)... wasn't good. Some came back with two buttons on the sleeves from 4.

I really don't know how to describe it, but the jackets were just off. J crew has been adding a threadline to delineate the button area on some of the jackets and instead of workign around this to make it look right he simply acted as if the line wasn't there. The balance when looking at the sleeves is off. Not a big deal as it is a 30 dollar jacket... but aggrevates me nonetheless.

It would be hard for me to trust them on anything of signifcance. I kinda view them as a good alterations tailor.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since this subject has come up again, does anyone here have experience with Senol Custom Tailors, who was recently mentioned as an alterations tailor on LL?

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience, good or bad, with Luigi's on 7th Ave and 20th St?

I just dropped a couple of pants off there for hemming and waist alterations.

I was going to go to Wilfred's, but I needed them back faster than Wilfred's was able to accommodate. I went to Luigi's because that is where the Paul Smith stores sends out their alterations to.

Cost was $44 per pair (for the waist and hem).

Will report back, as they should be ready Thursday evening, but would like to hear others chime in as well with experiences.

Thanks,
Dan

mussel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zarathustra
I tried Cardelino on a cheap jackets (Jcrew sale)... wasn't good. Some came back with two buttons on the sleeves from 4.

I really don't know how to describe it, but the jackets were just off. J crew has been adding a threadline to delineate the button area on some of the jackets and instead of workign around this to make it look right he simply acted as if the line wasn't there. The balance when looking at the sleeves is off. Not a big deal as it is a 30 dollar jacket... but aggrevates me nonetheless.

It would be hard for me to trust them on anything of signifcance. I kinda view them as a good alterations tailor.

I don't think I am ready to give Cardelino a try even it's cheaper than Wilfred's. At least Wilfred's consistently turns out reasonably good works.

I picked up a suit jacket from Bhambi not long ago with shortened sleeves and 4 working button holes on each sleeve. I am very happy with the result. They charge $10 for each hand-sewn button hole, $40 for shortenening sleeves, and additional $35 if the sleeves are not working button hole ready. The workmanship is about a notch or two above Wilfred's. I highly recommend them.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mussel
I don't think I am ready to give Cardelino a try even it's cheaper than Wilfred's. At least Wilfred's consistently turns out reasonably good works.

I picked up a suit jacket from Bhambi not long ago with shortened sleeves and 4 working button holes on each sleeve. I am very happy with the result. They charge $10 for each hand-sewn button hole, $40 for shortenening sleeves, and additional $35 if the sleeves are not working button hole ready. The workmanship is about a notch or two above Wilfred's. I highly recommend them.

So, what was the total charge then for sleeve shortening?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tried Cardelino on a cheap jackets (Jcrew sale)... wasn't good. Some came back with two buttons on the sleeves from 4. I really don't know how to describe it, but the jackets were just off. J crew has been adding a threadline to delineate the button area on some of the jackets and instead of workign around this to make it look right he simply acted as if the line wasn't there. The balance when looking at the sleeves is off. Not a big deal as it is a 30 dollar jacket... but aggrevates me nonetheless. It would be hard for me to trust them on anything of signifcance. I kinda view them as a good alterations tailor.
No offense, but this sounds to me like a problem of communication and/or possibility. You shortened the sleeves so much that the cuff detailing looks off?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mussel

I picked up a suit jacket from Bhambi not long ago with shortened sleeves and 4 working button holes on each sleeve. I am very happy with the result.

If Hideki Matsui were to order a suit from this tailor, would it be a case of Bhambi meets Godzilla?
tounge.gif

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Essentially yes. I find that communication isn't their strong point. I asked from the outset whether the jacket dould be done properly from the cuff. I told them i had no problem doing the sleeve from the shoulder to make sure the detailing would remain close to being the same.

I was told no problem. I believe this was the son though. The dad i think is better. Maybe i will try to post picts this weekend?

I have no problem recomending them. They did a great job on my bosses suits according to him.

I am also just picky for a 30 dollar jacket. Ha.

JordanB

Reaction score
Essentially yes. I find that communication isn't their strong point. I asked from the outset whether the jacket dould be done properly from the cuff. I told them i had no problem doing the sleeve from the shoulder to make sure the detailing would remain close to being the same.

I was told no problem. I believe this was the son though. The dad i think is better. Maybe i will try to post picts this weekend?

I have no problem recomending them. They did a great job on my bosses suits according to him.

I am also just picky for a 30 dollar jacket. Ha.

The father is much better than the son for jackets. I try to avoid eye contact with the son when I go in so that the dad can help me.

I have found, however, that the son is a bit better about getting the proper hem length on trousers.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amirrorcrackd
Anybody have any experience, good or bad, with Luigi's on 7th Ave and 20th St?

I just dropped a couple of pants off there for hemming and waist alterations.

I was going to go to Wilfred's, but I needed them back faster than Wilfred's was able to accommodate. I went to Luigi's because that is where the Paul Smith stores sends out their alterations to.

Cost was $44 per pair (for the waist and hem).

Will report back, as they should be ready Thursday evening, but would like to hear others chime in as well with experiences.

Thanks,
Dan

Just picked these up (very fast turnaround) and I'm very pleased with the result. The alterations at the waist are seamless, and in my limited experience the hem is the best I've seen. Definitely recommend Luigi's for alterations of this sort. A jacket, I wouldn't know.

Dan

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Cardelino is open again? Shirtmaven?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Does anyone know if Cardelino is open again? Shirtmaven?

I walked by earlier this week and saw that it was closed. For what it's worth, they said what my clothes wouldn't be ready until the 7th, so I would guess they reopen on Tuesday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads