1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tgfny, Jun 20, 2005.

1. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I walked by earlier this week and saw that it was closed. For what it's worth, they said what my clothes wouldn't be ready until the 7th, so I would guess they reopen on Tuesday.

Thanks.

2. sartorialmd

sartorialmd Member

Just purchased a HUGO awe/holl suit navy pinstripe from bloomingdale's, did not notice any rippling or puckering across the back initially. I had them alter the suit but when I tried it on for the second time I noticed horizontal rippling across the top of the back of the jacket. Now I can not return it. Does anyone know a tailor who specializes in letting out the back center seam on men's suits when there isn't much fabric? My usual tailor said he wouldn't touch it. I really love this suit. [​IMG]

3. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

Peppino did this for me very well. I can't remember the price, maybe $40. He also lowered the collar a smidge.

4. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

Cardelino is doing this for me as we speak. I should get it back on Fri. They charge $45.

5. sartorialmd

sartorialmd Member

Thanks for the replies. Who should I ask for at Cardelino?

6. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

There's only the two of them--the old guy and the young guy. Plus the woman (mother), but I don't know what she does.

7. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

The older guy is the one who has done the work for me so far. The first jacket I brought in came out great, but he did not take it in through the center seam, just from the sides.

I believe the consensus was the older guy does better work with the jackets.

8. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I don't know how you can know who actually does the work after you walk out of the shop. This reminds me though that I have a sportcoat that I need to pick up one of these days.

9. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

^^True. What I meant to say is the older guy is the one who pinned my jackets and pants. For all I know there is a gang of illegal, underage children who complete all the work.

As long as whichever one of them performs the alterations gets it right I am happy.

10. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I had a series of mismatched sleeve lengths on some recent alterations. They persisted until they got them right, and fortunately I wasn't in a big hurry. But now I always make sure that they pin both sleeves. Just FYI.

11. undarted

undarted Senior member

Earlier this year, I went to Hong Kong Tailor Jack.

Pros:

-The guy is very confident.

-Will tell you the limits of any alterations, what you should and shouldn't do.

-He did all the fitting.

Cons:

-It was several weeks of wait during springtime. Pile of clothing on the side of the wall.

-Sleeves were finished a little untidily (loose threads visible from outside). He has a team of workers in the back.

He also makes custom suits, and generally has a very good reputation. Met a lady there who said she gets everything done by him and has never had to go back for a fix.

12. undarted

undarted Senior member

13. bobdobalina

bobdobalina Senior member

I've read the whole thread, but I haven't read enough to come to a decision on my issue, which follows:

I have no fewer than twenty dress shirts that need to come in a good deal through the body. My neck is still 16.5, but my chest has gone from 47" to 45", while my waist has gone from 42" to 35". (Following Art De Vany's Evolutionary Fitness, in case you care)

I look like a clown in damn near every shirt I own. Reselling and replacing my current wardrobe is not a great option as:
    1. My neck hasn't really changed, so I'm at smallest a 16, and replacing with 16s won't solve most of the problem.
    2. Anything but the slimmest-fitting shirt is still too blousy.
    3. The slimmest fitting shirts are designed for people with no lats and narrow shoulders. Or they at least don't fit me up top.

So, I'm left with the need for someone who can:
    1. Take in the sides of the shirts that can be reasonably taken in.
    2. Tell me honestly when the job isn't worth doing.
    3. Not charge me a metric farktonne.

I don't mind a slow-ish turnaround, and I'd enjoy your suggestions.

14. Sartorian

Sartorian Senior member

I've read the whole thread, but I haven't read enough to come to a decision on my issue, which follows:

I have no fewer than twenty dress shirts that need to come in a good deal through the body. My neck is still 16.5, but my chest has gone from 47" to 45", while my waist has gone from 42" to 35". (Following Art De Vany's Evolutionary Fitness, in case you care)

I look like a clown in damn near every shirt I own. Reselling and replacing my current wardrobe is not a great option as:
    1. My neck hasn't really changed, so I'm at smallest a 16, and replacing with 16s won't solve most of the problem.
    2. Anything but the slimmest-fitting shirt is still too blousy.
    3. The slimmest fitting shirts are designed for people with no lats and narrow shoulders. Or they at least don't fit me up top.

So, I'm left with the need for someone who can:
    1. Take in the sides of the shirts that can be reasonably taken in.
    2. Tell me honestly when the job isn't worth doing.
    3. Not charge me a metric farktonne.

I don't mind a slow-ish turnaround, and I'd enjoy your suggestions.

Try Carl at CEGO. Just ask him what he'd charge and if it can be done. He's on these boards, and he'll be honest about what kind of work will need doing. Maybe he'll want you to get a shirt from him, but I don't think so.

15. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Try Carl at CEGO. Just ask him what he'd charge and if it can be done. He's on these boards, and he'll be honest about what kind of work will need doing. Maybe he'll want you to get a shirt from him, but I don't think so.

Carl is on these boards as shirtmaven, FYI.

16. Alphadave

Alphadave Senior member

Rather than add a new thread I thought I'd bump this back up to the top with a couple of quick noob questions:

Anyone know if Cardelino is open at the moment? I'd like to drop some items off first thing in the morning. I assume no appointment is needed?

Do tailors in NY (specifically Cardelino) have a dressing room so you can try on pants and get their opinion regarding adjustments? My local dry cleaner (who does simple adjustments) does not.

17. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

Rather than add a new thread I thought I'd bump this back up to the top with a couple of quick noob questions:

Anyone know if Cardelino is open at the moment? I'd like to drop some items off first thing in the morning. I assume no appointment is needed?

Do tailors in NY (specifically Cardelino) have a dressing room so you can try on pants and get their opinion regarding adjustments? My local dry cleaner (who does simple adjustments) does not.

I am not sure if they are open. You can call and find out 212-477-4654

They have a dressing area with a curtain so you can try on pants.

18. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I am not sure if they are open. You can call and find out 212-477-4654

They have a dressing area with a curtain so you can try on pants.

I just called and they aint picking up the phone and they have no answering machine either.

19. Alphadave

Alphadave Senior member

I called this morning and the tailor is off until Wednesday.

Thanks for the info re dressing room.

[​IMG]

20. T&A Fan

T&A Fan Member

I will put in another pitch for Bhambi's. I've had alterations on 3-4 suits done there. The work was excellent, and the tailor readily agreed to whatever additional changes I asked about (i.e. trousers or jacket taken in further than they initially were).

Cost was not cheap--about $150-200 per suit (including taking in the jacket at the darts, as well as collar/shoulder work).

I will add that Bhambi's bread & butter is NOT alterations, but rather full custom, made-on-the-premises business wear. There is an impressive collection of celebrity client photos on the wall.

I have several colleagues that spend $1,600-$2,200 per suit and get excellent results. Unfortunately, my budget still dictates buying suits at BG at 40-50% off, then finding a tailor to do the adjustments.

As far as Ramon goes, I went once, but felt the prices were essentially the same as Bhambi's, with the crew "not yet ready for prime-time".