• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I'd wear these Diesels

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fritz

Reaction score
I have a pair of Levans, and as far as the cut is concerned, they are among my favourite jeans. Pure straightleg, which I thought I'd mention, because in the pic you posted they almost seem to flare a bit.

Mine are a size 30, and I don't think I have any other garment in that size anymore (mostly 32). So before you order of Ebay, you should make sure they fit you. I have tried on other Diesels, and sizes don't seem to be consistent.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Just get a pair of Ernest Sewns. I bought some Fultons at Context and they're awesome. They fit extremely well and the wash is pretty realistic.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apocalypse later
Just get a pair of Ernest Sewns. I bought some Fultons at Context and they're awesome. They fit extremely well and the wash is pretty realistic.

I agree, I like their products better, however for longevity, go with Diesel. You can't destroy that denim (if it's the heavier varieties), while ES are somewhat delicate. Personally, I find the Levan too wide, and I like the Viker much, much better. The wash is alright, and, in fact, looks just like the Nudie Regular Ralf Second Hand I just received today.

All that said, for the money, I'd look for the 5EP washed jeans in the non-selvage (which I believe are considerably less expensive than the selvage).

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I agree, I like their products better, however for longevity, go with Diesel. You can't destroy that denim (if it's the heavier varieties), while ES are somewhat delicate. Personally, I find the Levan too wide, and I like the Viker much, much better. The wash is alright, and, in fact, looks just like the Nudie Regular Ralf Second Hand I just received today.

All that said, for the money, I'd look for the 5EP washed jeans in the non-selvage (which I believe are considerably less expensive than the selvage).

Already have the 5EP boot in the dark worn and they're pretty awesome. I guess I'm looking for something a little bit lighter. As far as ES goes, the Fulton looks way too skinny, the Hutch seems too flared, and the Hemingway too baggy. How slim is the Viker?

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theshonen8899
Looks like someone used a ruler to make those whiskers...

Yeah, that is the one thing about the wash I don't care for, but the rest of the jean seems pretty decent.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Already have the 5EP boot in the dark worn and they're pretty awesome. I guess I'm looking for something a little bit lighter. As far as ES goes, the Fulton looks way too skinny, the Hutch seems too flared, and the Hemingway too baggy. How slim is the Viker?

I think the Vikers are sort of like the Acne Mics or ES Fulton from the knee up. They are a little bigger than either of those other two below the knee. They are completely straight, while the other two are a little tapered. If slightly lighter weight and baggier is what you want, I'd spend up a bit and get the Rag & Bone RB6. Though not a washed jean, their denim has some nice streaking, making it look almost washed. If you can find a good deal, some of the Nudie Straight Sven or Regular Ralf washed jeans would probably work.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I think the Vikers are sort of like the Acne Mics or ES Fulton from the knee up. They are a little bigger than either of those other two below the knee. They are completely straight, while the other two are a little tapered. If slightly lighter weight and baggier is what you want, I'd spend up a bit and get the Rag & Bone RB6. Though not a washed jean, their denim has some nice streaking, making it look almost washed. If you can find a good deal, some of the Nudie Straight Sven or Regular Ralf washed jeans would probably work.

Hec no, the new RB6 are baggy like the Hemingway! The Svens are a good idea. They sound like the ideal cut for me. I've come close to buying them several times in dry selvage, but never went through with it. Figured they weren't all that much different than my RRDS. Only thing is, I've never heard anything good about Nudie's washed jeans.

base1001

Reaction score
does diesel make a better quality denim than lucky? and why does lucky use spandex in most of their denim?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Lucky is awful, awful. Fit, washes, everything, ugh.

In my opinion of course.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by base1001
does diesel make a better quality denim than lucky? and why does lucky use spandex in most of their denim?

1. Yes

2. Because they've yet to realize the only benefit to spandex is when used in
"painted on" tight jeans and that true denim aficionados wouldn't urinate on
spandex enhanced jeans.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Yes

2. Because they've yet to realize the only benefit to spandex is when used in
"painted on" tight jeans and that true denim aficionados wouldn't urinate on
spandex enhanced jeans.

I take slight issue with that. I have a pair of Diesels that are "stretch" denim, and not only does the denim look really nice (raw looking, probably resin coated), they are the best travel jeans I've ever had. Try sitting on a cross-country flight in a pair of slim raw jeans. . .

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hec no, the new RB6 are baggy like the Hemingway! The Svens are a good idea. They sound like the ideal cut for me. I've come close to buying them several times in dry selvage, but never went through with it. Figured they weren't all that much different than my RRDS. Only thing is, I've never heard anything good about Nudie's washed jeans.

Have you tried Levans? I think they're almost as baggy. I actually don't mind how baggy the Hemingway is, it's the fact that it's baggy and bootcut that I can't stand. As for washed Nudies, I'm wearing a pair right now. Not the greatest quality, but I like them (I did get them with a store credit I didn't want to expire, and might not have gotten these at full price otherwise, but I definitely like them). Try Revolve, they often seem to have washed Nudies on sale.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Have you tried Levans? I think they're almost as baggy. I actually don't mind how baggy the Hemingway is, it's the fact that it's baggy and bootcut that I can't stand. As for washed Nudies, I'm wearing a pair right now. Not the greatest quality, but I like them (I did get them with a store credit I didn't want to expire, and might not have gotten these at full price otherwise, but I definitely like them). Try Revolve, they often seem to have washed Nudies on sale.

Since my original question in this thread was if anyone had experience with the Levan, I'll let you answer that.
smile.gif

I am considering some washed Svens though and sorry if I offended you with the Luckys, I just don't like them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads