• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Wearing Now/Today Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
I'm with the Old Asian Man on this one. I think SoCal has some amazing spending power (I'll be in NYC in 2 weeks, he can take me shopping) but for me doesn't show enough creativity in his purchases.
I think it's a NYC thing though, I lived in Manhattan for 7 years and if you have the cash people tend to go for the pieces or label that is wrapped up in Manhattanite Hype. Murakami x LV, the Thom Browne fad, Lanvin is certainly shining bright at present, Dior Homme 3 years ago and anything black and nylon fabricated from Prada 8 years ago. It's easy to get caught up in the frenzy for the latest designer item living in New York in the same way I see folks in Los Angeles heading to the car dealership as soon as the new Beemer or Benz is launched.

I think SoCal has some wonderful items I just wish he'd drop some Ca-ching on Number Nine, Carpe Diem, John Lobb, 45rpm not the latest gold sneaker from YSL or Dior, not only what his friends will recognize as expensive, not what is most sought after at Jeffrey. I think his biggest weakness is his denim choices. They always look like the items you can find at Century 21 for 80% off.

But then he's young, there's time, I'm an older but wiser (I think) curmudgeon.

I wasn't going to say anything and just file away your remarks in the "32 year old that dresses about 10-12 years too young" Usless Comments file; but, I digress.

Please don't talk to me about being stale or having a lack of creativity Mr. Ratty Jeans and Tee with Decent Shoes.

et003.jpg

brwn001.jpg

linen001.jpg

symph020.jpg

etrolv001.jpg

tm002.jpg

goicolea001.jpg

etro002.jpg

paulsmith001.jpg

mbbv002.jpg

etro003.jpg

Esk.jpg

ykbluejil.jpg

bluegold.jpg

mjdior.jpg

march9004.jpg

lv002.jpg

tbshorts.jpg

israeli001.jpg

gothic001.jpg

I'm really curious as to why you would put John Lobb next to Number Nine, stiff uncomfortable jeans and all that stuff. While I can readily afford them I'm not going to pay $1300--$2500 for shoes when I mistreat my and also scuff and stub them throughout the day

I've stated it before I don't need to go out and buy jeans and sleep in them and never wash them and sit on my wallet all day so I can get honeycombing, roping, **** stains or whatver is cool these days. I have 2 dark pairs, a white pair and a grey pair so I'm set for another year when I might buy a medium lighter wash pair. To me it is to easy and repetitive to wear denim day in and day out. Figuring out how to match your pinstripe or Price of Wales trousers is a lot more fun.

And just to humour you: I bought the gold sneaks w/in the first week of the Beverly Hills boutique opening...and yes, I did drive there in a Mercedes.

bigstar[1].gif

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Socal I think youre a stylish guy and all. You wear trousers and suits well. But honestly I think LAguy (about the outfit) and Rye have hit the spot when they say you dont wear streetwear (jeans) as well. I know some poeple get upset when you comment and dont post so I wont. But props to you for the suits and outfits with with out jeans...

But I would take Foks advice on the outfit you posted with the dior polo. I think the shoes are pretty cool but they dont go to well with what youre wearing. You look like a rich arab at gw thats trying to dress well with high end brands. I know youre better than that

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The reason, I think, he put John Lobb along with Number Nine is that it's precisely that "mash-up" which is interesting. Why does Maxfield sell vintage Hermes bags, which the masses probably see as dowdy used things, alongside Yohji Yamamoto?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
That's the think Ghulk, I think a lot of people are either too scared or to lazy to try to do something that isn't a suit and isn't jeans/tee so they build up this idea in their head for their own positive reinforcement that creates a community that thinks it is the pinnacle of "street wear/fashion." What streets are we talking about? The ones around a college campus? Williamsburg? Silverlake? Any other 19-28 year old area? What about people who aren't at work and are walking around the UWS, Madison Ave, Greenwhich Ave, Robertson Blvd, Oak St, etc?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Don't get bent out of shape, socal. Most of your fits are really good, but that attempt at more casual streetwear didn't work out. And by "streetwear" i don't think you need to nitpick things to defend yourself when you know the general term people are using. I think la guy just meant slightly hipper denim outfits in a way, it's hard to get an exact definition. There's a lot of good fits in that montage you posted but there are also some big misses. It's part of getting a personal style you can be happy with and still push the envelope.

I also don't think taking the far end extreme of a sufu denim noob and generalizing about the people on the forum who wear raw jeans makes your case any better. Making fun of others doesn't make your fit look nicer. You know that none of the people that have been around raw denim for more than a month worry about sleeping in denim or being afraid to wash **** stains off. You've said many times that you just really don't like the whole denim thing when it comes to putting together outfits, so i don't understand why you're so upset that when you try to put together an outfit you normally do not care for, it doesn't work out. I wouldn't try to put together a mish mosh of more Men's Clothing pieces and then get angry/really defensive if it doesn't work out as planned because that's not my thing and i need to get better at it.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
That's the think Ghulk, I think a lot of people are either too scared or to lazy to try to do something that isn't a suit and isn't jeans/tee so they build up this idea in their head for their own positive reinforcement that creates a community that thinks it is the pinnacle of "street wear/fashion." What streets are we talking about? The ones around a college campus? Williamsburg? Silverlake? Any other 19-28 year old area? What about people who aren't at work and are walking around the UWS, Madison Ave, Greenwhich Ave, Robertson Blvd, Oak St, etc?

Well I agree with you there. Everyone has a style. I guess most people on this forum are in love with jeans. And thee are some that do it very well like Rye. However I love jeans as well but I think that trousers made of other materials are much more stylish. For example, Margiela is probably the only designer I think has perfect looks head to toe in his shows and he barely ever uses jeans. I think they should be part of ones wardrobe if they want. However many might not do it as well as Rye or some poeple. i think you dress better then most poeple here in terms of non jeans wear. I myself dont always wear jeans. I think trousers made by margiela raf or patrik ervell look better than jeans for the most part. I still think though that you dont do jeans too well. But no ones perfect. And I also think that some poeple here including me think that you buy way too many "mall brands" but its about you. You buy it for yourself so its not my right to tell you to go buy something else but you tend to dress pretty well

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chill out SoCal. Your glorious montage of fits doesn't remind us of your sartorial success, but rather informs us of your own insecurity.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I'm sorry that I got "bent out of shape" when I felt that my personality was attacked for wearing Jil Sander jeans(apparently I'm wrapped up in whatever the NYT Style section spits out) and I'm made to look like a little ***** for "defending myself."

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilgeniusdan
Chill out SoCal. Your glorious montage of fits doesn't remind us of your sartorial success, but rather informs us of your own insecurity.

Go back through my posts and I don't think I've ever made a negative comment about anyone (other than the shoulders on Dritzzs suits) until I got pissed off at what someone said, so yah I'm pretty insecure.

Let's not get started on the fact that all of us are taking pictures of our clothing and posting them on the internet to achieve validation.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Band of Outsiders navy/white ticking stripe shirt
Etro black pinstriped blazer
Earnest Sewn Fulton Patriot
RM Williams Chelseas

65ky2.jpg

Bonus pic:

Same jacket, boots, shirt, w/ cougars.

66qi2.jpg

Nice boots! Good look altogether...
smile.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
And I also think that some poeple here including me think that you buy way too many "mall brands" but its about you. You buy it for yourself so its not my right to tell you to go buy something else but you tend to dress pretty well

I work in an office that sets the bar nationwide as to what some people can purchase when it comes to the finest of luxury designers. I could love some random leather jacket from whatever "indie" brand; but, if I'm going to be sitting front row come September with my boss that leather jacket better be a "mall brand" luxury designer. But, I'm also content with that.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm coming from the rule-bound side of the aisle here - the MC forum - and I think SoCal's contributions to the WAYWRN thread there are among the best and most interesting. They're also taking the most "risks", which means that there will be what I consider a few bad misses/absurdities at times. The only things which really rub me the wrong way occasionally about SoCal's are blatant breaches of the "rules" of the jacket-and-tie school of dressing, such as wearing a black tuxedo shirt with a modernised business suit. I could probably never bring myself to do that, outside of a bet, which is exactly why I appreciate someone else trying it out. It's also a very good opportunity for people to see some high-end fashion stuff, as you're obviously well-informed about the industry. Now, my attachment to these "rules" - or rather norms - is my own issue. I've learnt to appreciate the mix of conservative "gent's" clothing and the more fashiony aspects. (I also have a strong logo allergy, which might also be a problem in appreciating the efforts.) SoCal: Looking through your post above, I think you have the basis for a best-of-so-far poll among the outfits you've posted - it could be a very interesting thread. Maybe not for you, as you seem to have clear ideas of how you want to dress, but the discussion could be well worth reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads