• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

australia good suit on budget

dewy

Reaction score
Hi guys, its end of financial year, I am guessing a lot of stuff will be marked down this comming Thursday, wondering if anyone knew of any large retail chains (I live rural so I am stuck with companies such as - Myer, Ruben F Scarf, Gentlemans Outfitters, yd., Tarro Cash, Rodger David, ED Harry and that I am aware of that is about, I was wondering if I could pick up a descent suit for about $300 AUD and if so what brands do people reccoment to get/stay away from.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Well for $300 your probably not gonna be able to afford any other brands than those listed. Other "better" suits from Calibre, Farage, AG, Morrissey, etc will set you back $700-$1500.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything mentioned so far is fused and almost certainly made in China.

Asking about a $300 suit is bit like asking what car you can get for $3000. The answer is not a very good one.

It's funny how people will drop $3000+ on a new TV, computer or other gizmo but will shriek at the prospect of spending even half that amount on a suit which will last much longer than any electronic device.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
At that pricepoint, see what Myer does with its Flair suits and its Studio Italia.
I used to work there way back when, will serve you better than the Roger Davids and Ed Harrys will.

Keep an eye on anything Myer has with its barcode highlighted...this means it is 'Quit Stock' and it will be 25% off in the first 2 weeks, then 50% for the next two weeks, then 75% if it lives that long....hint - hide it! hide it well...or ask the staff to hold it for you, theyll put your name on it out the back and theoretically put it back on the shelves the next day, but sale times, everyone is so busy that they will forget, buy you at least a week.

If you really want to screw my old employer, you can buy it at 25% off, keep the receipt, return it a month later when it is 75% off, the rebuy it and save. The staff will admire you greatly...since that is what we all used to do
smile.gif

Where in Australia are you?

m_wave

Reaction score
I think if you are to spend only that amount of cash on a suit you are probably best going for a discounted Studio Italia or something, though David Jones are having a sale at the moment so you may find something that you like there in a superior brand and fabric. Make sure to spend a little extra getting it correctly tailored.

The only thing worse than a cheap suit is an ill-fitting one..

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m_wave
The only thing worse than a cheap suit is an ill-fitting one..
yeah, at that pricepoint, theres a lot to be said for thrifting a couple of decent suits for 20 bucks each and spending the difference at the tailor making them fit right.

Remember that even if you do find something good at the dept stores during the sales, the house tailor will probably cost you another 50 or 60 to take up the sleeves and pant legs.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
yeah, at that pricepoint, theres a lot to be said for thrifting a couple of decent suits for 20 bucks each and spending the difference at the tailor making them fit right.

M@t,

Either you've been overseas too long, or the op-shops in Melbourne have a lot more to offer than they do in Brisbane, as there's bugger all to see in terms of good menswear in thrift shops here.

I have found a couple of odd jackets that are wearable (including a bespoke tweed jacket from a now-defunct Savile Row tailor that is about forty years old), but most of the stuff in the stores is simply not worth buying, even though it only costs a few dollars.

I envy our US and UK cousins, who continually seem to find amazing deals in their thrift shops - and don't get me started on places like Century 21...

I do agree with you, however, that the OP should have a look at DJs or Myer to see what they have on sale. Thanks for the tip about buying at 25% off and then returning and re-buying at 75% off... I'll have to try that some time.

Cheers,
JH

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Hey i may be no thrift expert, but youre in Queensland! People there dont wear closed shoes, have no necks, long pants mean youre a tourist, and any t-shirt without a beer logo is considered a sign of being a snob
wink.gif

dewy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I live in newcastle, I have access to a DJs and a Myer. I am just looking for something descent and cheap to last me for a while, I am thinking about making a trip out of the country at the end of the year and see if I can find a good taylor while I am in another country to make a few nice suits (Any Suggestions of countries/taylors?). I will be heading to Charleston (largest shopping center in my region) on thursday evening and will give the Myer store a good look, was in there before and liked some stuff but didn't like the prices. Also wondering what peoples opinions are on the shirts on sale at myer at the moment are like, they are Reserve ($20), Blaq and Van Housen ($35) and Brooksfield ($40).

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
some of those Reserve shirts werent horrible IIRC. Choose carefully. Van Heusen are ok at A$35, wouldnt pay much more though. The others I dont know. Re overseas tailors - come see me in Vietnam
smile.gif

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dewy
Hi guys, its end of financial year, I am guessing a lot of stuff will be marked down this comming Thursday, wondering if anyone knew of any large retail chains (I live rural so I am stuck with companies such as - Myer, Ruben F Scarf, Gentlemans Outfitters, yd., Tarro Cash, Rodger David, ED Harry and that I am aware of that is about, I was wondering if I could pick up a descent suit for about $300 AUD and if so what brands do people reccoment to get/stay away from.

I recommend CEO, Myer or David Jones.

CEO can be had at Myer and they often reduce their suits to around $300.00 mark.

CEO have a range of half canvased suits made in China (or at least the lapels were). The only thing that put me off is the pattern matching on their check suits were a bit off around the pockets, so maybe stripes or solids would be the way to go. Anyway the quality is pretty good and the buttonsholes weren't keyholes which was a plus. hest. I know the lapels definitely are canvassed. David Jones offer Trent Nathan Made in Portugal. This is half canvassed as well. Around about $3-400.00 on sale. Farbics aren't the best but the quality of construction is pretty good.

If David Jones and Myer is all you have access to, you can count on Flair and Studio Italia (Australia) and maybe Cambridge, Rembrandt (New Zealand) in that price range. Although the first two are Australian I have seen a few of their models made in China.

Don't let Made in China put you off. Last time I went to Myer, it seemed like everything including Country Road was made there.

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dewy
Hey guys, I live in newcastle, I have access to a DJs and a Myer. I am just looking for something descent and cheap to last me for a while, I am thinking about making a trip out of the country at the end of the year and see if I can find a good taylor while I am in another country to make a few nice suits (Any Suggestions of countries/taylors?). I will be heading to Charleston (largest shopping center in my region) on thursday evening and will give the Myer store a good look, was in there before and liked some stuff but didn't like the prices. Also wondering what peoples opinions are on the shirts on sale at myer at the moment are like, they are Reserve ($20), Blaq and Van Housen ($35) and Brooksfield ($40).

Blaq seems good quality some of it is a little too loud and fashion foward. I would avoid those. Van Heusen is pretty lousy, as their collars are too small and mostly limited to polyester cotton blends. Reserve used to make some good cotton diagonal weave shirts with removable collar stays and french cuffs about ten years ago, and they were great. But I think the quality has been lowered. I wouldnt dismiss them altogether though as they are probably best of the ones you mentioned. Brookfied seem pretty good, but dont think worth the $40.00 price tag.

neyus

Reaction score
Journey Man,

I agree with you on the whole, most of what you find in Brisbane is crap. Mostly old stafford, pierre cardin, boss, flair and roger david orphaned suit jackets and polyester safari suits. you begin to realise how out of date the fashion labels look like after a few years.

The main disappointment however is the prices at second hand shops. Seems close to around $100.00 these days for a suit. When I first started thrifting prices were around $20.00-40.00 for a suit maximum.

I have found several Zegna pieces throughout the years, and the quality and styling has really stood up. Also a few anthony squires piece if made prior to the 1990s arent too bad. Although these werent in my size.

If you can find old Durban, Squires and Zegna and Hart Schafer Marx you aren't doing too bad.

I recently found an Oxxford suit!!! Nothing wrong with it apart from a small tear on the edge of one of the trouser pockets. This is hidden by the jacket and barely noticable without the jacket anyway. Wouldnt be too hard to fix either.

I wouldnt dismiss thrift stores all together but its hard work.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m_wave
David Jones are having a sale at the moment so you may find something that you like there in a superior brand and fabric.

The only thing remotely approaching fair quality from DJs is Zegna. I think you would be doing exceptionally well if you managed to get a Zegna (even if it was just Z Zegna) for anywhere near the $300 price range.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
The only thing remotely approaching fair quality from DJs is Zegna. I think you would be doing exceptionally well if you managed to get a Zegna (even if it was just Z Zegna) for anywhere near the $300 price range.
I have a feeling the OP may be in a Different Life Stage to you Sator

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics