• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mexico City

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
In a few days I am leaving for Mexico City. I'll be there for about three months. Anybody have any suggestions or tips on things to do(bars, shopping, food, oddities, anything not in the guidebooks). I have been a few times before but never had so much time to explore.
~Regards,

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very. young. prostitutes. If you're into that kind of thing. Keep a look out for the tell-tale Adam's apple though.

And don't drink the water
smile.gif

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's cool.... what do you do that you get to go to Mexico City for 3 months?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
very. young. prostitutes. If you're into that kind of thing. Keep a look out for the tell-tale Adam's apple though.

And don't drink the water
smile.gif

Yeah, the age of consent is 12 or 14 but prostitutes are 70% water.

Originally Posted by dtmt
That's cool.... what do you do that you get to go to Mexico City for 3 months?

I am at UW. I am going down to work on something for Urban Studies and stretched it out a bit. Since I am technically going for school I can take all the expenses out of my education fund.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont take a taxi

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Mexico City is incredible. I ran away to there once when I was 13. Huge, really multicultural, fascinating place. Very intense. Architecture students should visit.

Good luck!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Mexico City is incredible. I ran away to there once when I was 13. Huge, really multicultural, fascinating place. Very intense. Architecture students should visit. Good luck!
That sounds interesting.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
That sounds interesting.
It involved a long bus trip in a hot, sweaty blue monstrosity of a bus that was probably from the 50's. No joke, there were chickens on the bus with me. I was praying about 5 hours in that the bus wouldn't break down. There was no a/c, but also the windows were mostly permanently stuck open, so at least there was a breeze. Spent about 2 days there in what basically amounted to a transient squat house sleeping on a couch and then made my way back to the group home I was staying in at the time. It was rather fun.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you get a chance, visit Cuernavaca. That's where Labelking assassinated Leon Trotsky.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the owner of the best men's store in Mexico CIty just passed away. He was supposed to be a terrific man and the store was supposed to be great.

I can report that I was told by two people in Naples this week that "Mexico City is one dangerous place", so take that for what it is worth.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was there for four months in 2003. Loved it. Other than unwisely eating an unrefrigerated tuna salad sandwich, nada mal me pasO [nothing bad happened to me]. A few notes from back then: I stayed in Coyoacan, in del Carmen. This was the same nabe as the Kahlo and Trotsky houses. Coyoacan is picturesque but heavily touristed on the weekends. I was there because it was close to the university and I was studying there. The University City is a superb example of midcentury modernism, in its scale and proportion. Plus the murals are magnificent. Some other structures added for the 68 Olympics are impressive as well. Other great architecture includes the Anthropology Museum and the subway, which has pictograms identifying each station -- big bonus for the often illiterate population. I liked the subway, but only students, peasants and tourists ride it. I was a student. In my poverty, I gained no knowledge of better food or clothing. There were some luxury brands at the Palacio de Hierro dept store, especially in upscale districts like Polanco, but most of the DF's wealth is in the suburbs north and west of that, and I visited their shopping centers only rarely. The main city guide is the Guia Roji, which is available in many editions. Buy one as soon as you can and familiarize yourself with your neighborhood and the city center. For my first few months, I didn't leave the house without it. Re: Taxis: After the mid 90s economic crisis, crime spiked, including taxi crime. This was aided by the lack of rear doors on the main taxi model, the VW Bug, which helped to entrap riders. Now the Bugs have been mostly phased out. For greater safety, many visitors rely on taxis that are summoned by telephone ['radio taxi'] but after a few months, I did the standard calculus to determine the risk level: Is this a tourist area? Is it day or night? Etc. Some lonely Bug tootling around a boring neighborhood in the middle of the afternoon posed little risk, so I took it. Pollution is less of a problem at this time of year, as afternoon rains clear the air. Thermal inversions make the air much worse, but mainly occur in the winter. Your main issue will be the thinnness of the air. Don't push yourself too hard in the first few weeks, especially with exercise. For more danger, you might visit the market at Tepito, where pretty much everything is bought and sold. I only went there once, and by day. For clothing info, you might contact one member of AA and perhaps this board as well, name of DressPRMex. For info on the theater as I found it during my stay, read this: http://www.tcg.org/publications/at/Jan04/mexico.cfm Good luck!

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Thanks mack, that is exactly the type of response I was hoping for. I've heard about Tepito but never been, maybe I'll make it down there on this trip--it is only about 15 blocks from the hotel I'll be at for the first week of my stay (...and I want an uzi).

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dress like a poor person. I think there are more kidnappings in mexico than in columbia now.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
One good book I read recently on the DF is The Mexico City Reader, a translation of 'cronicas' -- literary reportage.

http://www.amazon.com/Mexico-City-Re...0886491&sr=8-1

One great picture book is ABCDF:

http://www.queensmuseum.org/exhibitions/abcdf.html

I actually have had both of those books recommended to me by people on skyscrapercity and polo's bastards. They must be good. I'll try and pick one up to read (I'd prefer to spend the majority my free time exploring [drinking] rather than reading) while I'm down there , would you suggest one book over the other? Also, your advice on interesting architectual locations is very helpful. If you have any more suggestions in that vein, I would love to hear them. Urban Sudies incorporates a lot of "design meets society" (architecture and street interaction) elements so if you have any pointers on what should not be missed or is especially interesting I would really appreciate any insight you might have.
Sorry for all the requests, I understand if you have better things to do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads