• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I like Belgian beer

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maredsous 8 is superb and has surprisingly good distribution around these parts. You can even find it on tap at a handful of places.

gene

Reaction score
Various responses to various people... not sure how to do multiple quotes right now, so these are lacking the citations.

Strange, from what I know, beer isn't stored, not overhere altough.
I know I've read accounts of certain bars in Belgium (probably very special ones even by Belgian standards, however) to have aged versions of the "good" beers such as Chimay Blue, Rochefort 10, Westy 12, etc. I can probably dig up names of places if you're interested.

On a more accessible note, every autumn Trader Joe's has a 'vintage ale' - large bottle, Belgian style, etc. It's quite delicious for the price and availability.
Trader Joe's Vintage Ale is made by Unibroue of Quebec... so you can at least sample other things from the same brewery if you don't have a local TJs (or if they don't sell booze like mine).

I don't think the whole killing the yeast is true (as homebrewers here in the USA are known to cull yeast from various Belgian beers for their own purposes)
This is most definitely true, from personal experience.

Skalogre- You can still find Rodenbach in shops. BTW, did you know we make some tasty " carbonades flamandes" with it?
I haven't yet with Rodenbach... but one made with Duchesse du Bourgogne is awesome. More sugars to caramelize I think. Also, Rodenbach makes several beers... as far as I know the "Alexander" hasn't been made in several years, but in the US you can get 3 kinds: the standard "Rodenbach", which is a blend of young and old soured flemish red, the "Grand Cru", which is only the aged version, and "Redbach", which is something mixed with sweet cherry juice, which to my taste is very alcopopy. I much prefer a Liefman's Kriek for something sweet and cherry-tasting. (Though I appreciate a Cantillon or other real Kriek, it's not quite "sweet" tasting.)

If the [Rochefort] 10 was too bitter, try the 6.
The Rochefort 6 (stored properly) is likely my favorite beer available in North America. And I've had almost every Belgian available here, in any state (I do not, however claim this is the *best* beer available here... you're quite welcome to your own opinion on that matter... as long as it's a real beer
smile.gif
)

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

c55

Reaction score
Don't know how I missed this thread.

I may have missed it, but no one has mention Duvel. I would say that Duvel and Saison DuPont are my favorites. The Avec Les Bons Voeux that DuPont puts out around Christmas is heavenly. St Bernadus or Rochefort for anything dark.

Belgian beer is by far my favorite in general. St Bernadus, Cantillion, Rodenbach, Fantome, Rochefort, Westmalle, the list goes on and on. My glasswear collection for Belgian beers tops out at about 20.

The American beer scene right now is just about the most exciting thing happenning in the beer world (even michael jackson, a brit has dubbed this). We have eveything happening here from british-styled ales to belgian-styled ales to sour ales from New Belgium and Russian River.

A few of the standouts in the Belgian-style catagory here in the US are:

Allagash, Russian River, Pizza Port, Southhampton, New Belgium - check out what these guys are doing and you'll be amazed. How about a 100% brett beer, A dubbel brewed with burnt raisins, A triple aged in chardonnay barrels, A sour beer called La Folie created by Peter Bouckaert formally of Rodenbach.

arenaissanceman

Reaction score
Not exactly Belgian but supposedly it comes from some mountain top:
blue_beer.jpg
I'm suprised that there aren't more recommendations for Saison Dupont. Just a good all around ale. I'm having trouble remembering the name of the last beer I tried but it had a beige label, two angels on it, and a distinctly apricot tinge. Fantastic stuff. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

tomenugen

Reaction score
where can a person who doesn't have access to the Abbey of St. Ixtus score some Westvleteren? online site? phone number? in california?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomenugen
where can a person who doesn't have access to the Abbey of St. Ixtus score some Westvleteren? online site? phone number? in california?

Good luck... may be very hard to find as technically it is not suppossed to be resold.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arenaissanceman
Not exactly Belgian but supposedly it comes from some mountain top:

blue_beer.jpg

I'm suprised that there aren't more recommendations for Saison Dupont. Just a good all around ale.

I'm having trouble remembering the name of the last beer I tried but it had a beige label, two angels on it, and a distinctly apricot tinge. Fantastic stuff. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Not aure about that. Was it a Belgian or a US made beer? Dupont's Saison I found very underwhelming. Their Foret was much better.

arenaissanceman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Not aure about that. Was it a Belgian or a US made beer? Dupont's Saison I found very underwhelming. Their Foret was much better.

That's why I said "all-around". I describe it as the Budweiser of Belgium
laugh.gif

I believe the "apricot angel beer" was Belgian.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arenaissanceman
That's why I said "all-around". I describe it as the Budweiser of Belgium
laugh.gif

I believe the "apricot angel beer" was Belgian.

Nooo, that onerous distinction should go to Stella Artois (yes Whodini
tongue.gif
). Shudder.
I'll see if I can work out what that beer was
smile.gif

aybojs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomenugen

Why not just go the more convenient route and stick with St. Bernardus Abt 12, a quad (same style as Westvleteren 12) produced by the brewers who used to contract brew for the abbey? Supposedly they're very similar, so you can get a great beer with a much more reasonable availability and price, even if it isn't surrounded by that fawning, from-a-distance hype that Westvleteren's scarcity creates for it.

triple7allstar

Reaction score
Ok,

So. I'm making copious amounts of notes on this forum becuase, since I started drinking beer (at the age of 20 - hehe) I've noticed that I tend toward Belgians. I love Stella, but I wonder if that is because I haven't tried much of what else is available?

Is Stella really considered the Bud of Belgium?

I'm going to make a list of all of what has been offered herein and try them all! A daunting task, but someone has to do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads