• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I like Belgian beer

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
What's it like to live in the best beer producing country in the world? Every time you go to the store do you have a chuckle at the silly American and British attempts at brewing?

lol8[1].gif

I would have had a permanently full bladder if I lived over there, seriously...

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, I just had to post this... my local shop managed to bring in a few bottles of Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek (2003)! I have one here (last one they had, plus it was not cheap - $23 something before tax). Never tried it before. I also snagged two bottles of Cantillon Organic Gueze (never tried the organic version).

DAMN. I cannot wait.
bounce2.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
A particularly good value for those in the US are ales from Ommegang, a Belgian-style brewery in Cooperstown NY. They're about 20% cheaper than the standard Trappists.

Kent,

I went to my local beer store and got a case of 24. It's about half the price for the case of Chimay. I LIKE it. similar alcohol content at 8.5%. Not quite as complex in flavor as the Chimay, but real real close. The bitterness is just a bit more pronounced. Overall, I think I can live with it.

I'm going to store my Chimay, age it a bit. Skagore, how long would you recommend I let my Chimay sit? (in the garage, where ambient temps should be about 50-60F around this time)

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Kent,

I went to my local beer store and got a case of 24. It's about half the price for the case of Chimay. I LIKE it. similar alcohol content at 8.5%. Not quite as complex in flavor as the Chimay, but real real close. The bitterness is just a bit more pronounced. Overall, I think I can live with it.

I'm going to store my Chimay, age it a bit. Skagore, how long would you recommend I let my Chimay sit? (in the garage, where ambient temps should be about 50-60F around this time)

You could leave it for quite some time. These bottle fermented ales are still living and evolving. Just remember to store them upright, unlike wines.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was snooping around some online beer retailers, and some carry Chimays from the mid 90's. I know I'm not disciplined enough to have beer sitting around for 10+ years without feeling the need to sneak a sip once in a while.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was snooping around some online beer retailers, and some carry Chimays from the mid 90's. I know I'm not disciplined enough to have beer sitting around for 10+ years without feeling the need to sneak a sip once in a while.

biggrin.gif

I know what you mean.

dave023

Reaction score

Strange, from what I know, beer isn't stored, not overhere altough.

Skalogre- You can still find Rodenbach in shops. BTW, did you know we make some tasty " carbonades flamandes" with it?

We also have an saying: "it's better to have wine after beer than beer after wine".
Explanation: Beer was the poor men's wine
plain.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave023
Strange, from what I know, beer isn't stored, not overhere altough.

Skalogre- You can still find Rodenbach in shops. BTW, did you know we make some tasty " carbonades flamandes" with it?

We also have an saying: "it's better to have wine after beer than beer after wine".
Explanation: Beer was the poor men's wine
plain.gif

I vaguely remember reading somewhere about "carbonades flamandes"

Spencer Young

Reaction score

I was in Brussels a few weeks ago and picked up a few bottles of Chimay Grande Reserve 2001. Had one last week... amazing. I'd never seen it in the States before.

On a more accessible note, every autumn Trader Joe's has a 'vintage ale' - large bottle, Belgian style, etc. It's quite delicious for the price and availability. They suggest aging them for a year or two but thus far I've only been able to age about six months before cracking them open.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Favorites are:

Fantome Saison, McChouffe, de Ranke XX Bitter, Fantome Brise Bonbons (what a name). The de Ranke is really the best in my opinion, especially when you get to have it on tap. Outstanding.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
Favorites are: Fantome Saison, McChouffe, de Ranke XX Bitter, Fantome Brise Bonbons (what a name). The de Ranke is really the best in my opinion, especially when you get to have it on tap. Outstanding.
Wow... it has been years, I completely forgot about Fantome! P.s. quick update: the Cantillon Lou Pepe was OUTSTANDING (IMHO of course)

faust

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
I was in Brussels a few weeks ago and picked up a few bottles of Chimay Grande Reserve 2001. Had one last week... amazing. I'd never seen it in the States before.
Yep, I picked one up when I was in Antwerp in '03. I still use the bottle as a candle holder :). BTW, I have consistently found Belgian beer to taste much better... well, in Belgium (or in Holland). I asked a beer store owner from whom I was buying the Chimay, and he said that the FDA requires beer exporters to kill the organic fermenting agents that give much of the taste to the beer. Don't know how true that is, but it made sense to me. BTW, I really don't like the Rochefort 10, I thought it was too bitter. My absolute fave is Westmalle Dubbel, but I also like Chimay Blue, Chimay Cinqe Cents, and Affligem. For simpler stuff, I like Leffe Bruin and Hoegaarden. I am not a big fan of Duvel. And I know it's a sin, but I think Corsendonk is good. On a side note - Chimay cheeses are awesome!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faust
Yep, I picked one up when I was in Antwerp in '03. I still use the bottle as a candle holder :). BTW, I have consistently found Belgian beer to taste much better... well, in Belgium (or in Holland). I asked a beer store owner from whom I was buying the Chimay, and he said that the FDA requires beer exporters to kill the organic fermenting agents that give much of the taste to the beer. Don't know how true that is, but it made sense to me. BTW, I really don't like the Rochefort 10, I thought it was too bitter. My absolute fave is Westmalle Dubbel, but I also like Chimay Blue, Chimay Cinqe Cents, and Affligem. For simpler stuff, I like Leffe Bruin and Hoegaarden. I am not a big fan of Duvel. And I know it's a sin, but I think Corsendonk is good. On a side note - Chimay cheeses are awesome!
I don't think the whole killing the yeast is true (as homebrewers here in the USA are known to cull yeast from various Belgian beers for their own purposes) but IMHO the taste difference may have to do with the way the beer is stored and transported... On the cheese, thankfully igourmet.com stocks a few Chimay cheeses. Naturally I love the beer-washed Chimay Trappiste
biggrin.gif
If the 10 was too bitter, try the 6. It is lighter, sort of more like Corsendonk in character if I remember correctly (ie more like a dubbel than a heavy duty "brandy beer" like 10). Unless I am confusing it with the 8 but I think that is correct. I have actually come to appreciate Duvel with fish & chips (a local bar makes f&c and serves Duvel so I have sort of connected them) - seems to go really well. It is based on a Scotch yeast strain after all, heh. But I rarely drink it otherwise.

faust

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I don't think the whole killing the yeast is true (as homebrewers here in the USA are known to cull yeast from various Belgian beers for their own purposes) but IMHO the taste difference may have to do with the way the beer is stored and transported... On the cheese, thankfully igourmet.com stocks a few Chimay cheeses. Naturally I love the beer-washed Chimay Trappiste
biggrin.gif
If the 10 was too bitter, try the 6. It is lighter, sort of more like Corsendonk in character if I remember correctly (ie more like a dubbel than a heavy duty "brandy beer" like 10). Unless I am confusing it with the 8 but I think that is correct. I have actually come to appreciate Duvel with fish & chips (a local bar makes f&c and serves Duvel so I have sort of connected them) - seems to go really well. It is based on a Scotch yeast strain after all, heh. But I rarely drink it otherwise.

I've tried the 8, and it was more palatable, so I think the 6 should be just right for my taste, thanks.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krow13