• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you still live with your parents?

Kaga

Reaction score
IMMSMC, with the new presidency, someone like ernest may be hunted for sport.

fatty

Reaction score
I live at home and commute to university. It suits my needs as I'm only working in my holidays right now and I help things run smoothly at home. I'd rather be financially stable first and my mother agrees it's worth me saving and investing my money than living hand to mouth.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been living at home since I graduated college last summer. Was supposed to get a place in DC with a friend this summer but circumstances prevented that. Anyway I'll hang around the 'rents house for a while longer to save more money and to figure out where my next career move will take me. There's a decent chance I may switch cities or even countries so as long as those options are somewhat on the table, I'll hang here at the crib.

At 22 I don't feel bad staying at the house, but I don't plan on hanging around for another year.

Buickguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
This thread makes me long for ernest to be let back in...

This thread makes me nostalgic for my parents. I had an excellent relationship with my parents and I would give almost anything to be able to go back in time and spend one more weekend with them. I still miss them terribly.

Buickguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
jabsin . . . when I was growing up about a hundred years ago, the wealthy young people in town lived in big, comfortable houses, with their parents. After a young man married, it was not unusual in the least, for him to bring his 'bride' to his parents' home, where the two of them set up housekeeping. As time passed, the owners of the house either died off, retired, or simply gave the house to their children. These young men became the leaders in our community, always had plenty of money, and tended to look relaxed. This was of course, before divorce became quite so prevalent.

That's the way it was done in my time too.
You must be either around the same age as me or grew up in the same small town!
lol8[1].gif

calvin1663

Reaction score
unfortunately, yes, I do...I'm a junior in high school, only a year and a bit until COLLEGE though, at which point I'll be liberated (god, that'll feel good
biggrin.gif
)

Joshua s

Reaction score
I am right on the brink of moving out.
I am graduating from my community college on Saturday (May 19th) and begin a
summer-long internship in the chemical engineering dept. at the university I am transferring to on May 21st. So basically, I've got about a week and 1/2 left at home.

I am nervous, but also excited......
Of course, my parents are extremely sad. You'd think by now they'd be prepared, as I'm the third one to leave. However, I'm also the baby, so perhaps that's the difference......

I will be staying there through the summer and also during the school year as it's 1.5 hours from my house. I'm sure I'll come home on weekends as my siblings did though. (They both went to the same university.)

Reggs:
Did you really not like the South that much?
Don't get me wrong, I want to get out and see the world, but I don't dislike the South.....
Just curious.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calvin1663
unfortunately, yes, I do...I'm a junior in high school, only a year and a bit until COLLEGE though, at which point I'll be liberated (god, that'll feel good
biggrin.gif
)

Would you also be "liberated" financially? Can you afford rent, food, gas, utilities, all on your own? If answer is no, then you are not.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Would you also be "liberated" financially? Can you afford rent, food, gas, utilities, all on your own? If answer is no, then you are not.

+1

tundrafour

Reaction score
Except for a roughly month-long period, I haven't lived with my parents since getting my undergraduate degree about a year ago. I can barely afford rent, utilities, and student loan repayment, though; it almost makes me wish I were still living at home.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
moved out at 18 when I went to live in the US for a couple of years. Went back to Australia and lived with my mother again while I cleaned up my degree.

Fled the hometown as soon as I could, and never went back....so other than 6 mths or so, havent lived with my family in about 13 yrs.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just moved back in with my parents after spending a year in Europe. I'm turning 20 next week and plan on living at home until I go to grad school in about 2 years. After that, I don't foresee living with my parents again.

jett

Reaction score
left for college thousands of miles away a few months after turning 18, and minus that first summer have never returned for more than a few days. they didn't pay for anything so it was hard having no money and living off a part-time low paying job (and finanacial aid), but I never considered moving back. It all worked out though, within about a year of graduating I got a good job and bought a house, student loans are still there but they are all getting paid off ahead of schedule. I hated living with my family so it was great to finally escape, within a few months of moving out my relationship with them improved a lot. I've never understood people who live with their parents any longer than they have to, even if you have a great relationship with them it still seems weird to me.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Yeah, and I'm not at all upset about it. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I can't really understand the urge to flee from your parents as far and as soon as possible. In Brasil it's quite common to live with your parents into your 20s and even 30s as you get ready for marriage, and they often remain nearby or in an adjacent wing or house(this is a lot easier there than here).

To my more Americanized sensibilities that seems a little excessive but I love my parents and I enjoy having them be a part of my life. I've been paying about 75% of my living expenses - food, clothes, transport, etc. - from working at Starbuck's since the age of 18, but they are paying for most of what my scholarship doesn't cover and I am eternally grateful to them.

I suppose a whole bunch of the "strike out on your own, you're a pale shadow of a man"-type posters are going to flame me now, but I could care less. Too many people are miserable because of their awful relationships with their families and I am so thankful that I have a healthy, amicable, and friendly relationship with both my parents.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Yeah, and I'm not at all upset about it. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I can't really understand the urge to flee from your parents as far and as soon as possible. In Brasil it's quite common to live with your parents into your 20s and even 30s as you get ready for marriage, and they often remain nearby or in an adjacent wing or house(this is a lot easier there than here).

To my more Americanized sensibilities that seems a little excessive but I love my parents and I enjoy having them be a part of my life. I've been paying about 75% of my living expenses - food, clothes, transport, etc. - from working at Starbuck's since the age of 18, but they are paying for most of what my scholarship doesn't cover and I am eternally grateful to them.

I suppose a whole bunch of the "strike out on your own, you're a pale shadow of a man"-type posters are going to flame me now, but I could care less. Too many people are miserable because of their awful relationships with their families and I am so thankful that I have a healthy, amicable, and friendly relationship with both my parents.

Great post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads