• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oldie but Newbie w/Sneaker question

DesertRat

Reaction score
Ok, so my wife has finally convinced me that I have no style. It only took about 10 years
smile.gif

I have lots of question, and I've been reading this forum non-stop for the past few days, but my first stlye question has to do with non-athletic type sneakers. I need some advice on what sneakers I should get for my situation.

Basically, I'm almost 40 but I'd like to get a pair of sneakers that I can wear to work on Friday "Jeans day". I'm pretty sick of wearing my white New Balance x-trainers and I'm looking to style it up a bit. I'm looking for classic and stylish but NOT necessarily trendy. Also, non-white is a requirement.

I kind of like these if that helps you gauge my taste.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1396801/c/3.html
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/115191/c/151.html
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/18634910/c/97842.html Medium Khaki
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/21258306/c/52626.html

I have lots of other questions but I'll start with this.

Be gentle.
smile.gif

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of the shoes you posted the Vans are the most classically styled and will integrate into your wardrobe the easiest. I would also suggest a pair of low cut Chuck Taylors. I'm sure you'll have a lot of wiseass comments after this one but most of the shoes you posted won't be appropriate or to "trendy" in design.

A

DesertRat

Reaction score
So, you're saying that the other shoes are too trendy?

I like the Vans. My only concern is that they might not be "age appropriate". Thoughts on that? I'd wear them in a second but I don't want to seem like I'm trying to be a teenager if that makes sense.

Thanks!

gdc_2008

Reaction score
If you are almost 40 then you prob had the Vans classics before they were "classics"...I figure Vans and Chucks are pretty timeless.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
vans or sambas.\\if vans, go with solids and skip the checkers and skulls. that goes for any age actually.
cool.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DesertRat
So, you're saying that the other shoes are too trendy?

I like the Vans. My only concern is that they might not be "age appropriate". Thoughts on that? I'd wear them in a second but I don't want to seem like I'm trying to be a teenager if that makes sense.

Thanks!

Not a fan of Vans shoes. I'd recommend the Sambas; you could check out the WAYWN thread and see how Lance Konami, one of the more senior member here, rocks it.
smile.gif

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd get the black Vans, though I just got the adidas Samba's and am liking them...

DesertRat

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I went with the Vans! I'm going to check out the Samba's as well this week. My local Kohl's has them in stock.

Next question: Jeans!

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say either the Vans or the Sambas.

soonami

Reaction score
Sambas I find to be very comfortable and classic. It's also a shoe that you could wear with suiting as well as with jeans and khakis

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think about the samba's in white suede with black stripes?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DesertRat
Well then. Maybe I'll get both!
smile.gif

laugh.gif
When you're at it, check out the Samba K. They're made with kangaroo leather, and according to ppl here who have worn both, much more comfortable and durable.

DesertRat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
What do you think about the samba's in white suede with black stripes?

Kinda cool but right now I'm looking for non-white sneaks.

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member