• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oldie but Newbie w/Sneaker question

DesertRat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
I agree with the Topsiders part, but I have to buck consensus and advise against the Vans; I agree that they're timeless and all, but if you're pushing 40 I'd stay away.

Sperry actually makes an Authentic-styled shoe that you might want to consider:

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/shoppi...904&sColor=182

Sorry, I just think Vans on a middle-aged guy say "I desperately want to pretend I'm still down with skaters!" One man's opinion...

The Sperrys aren't bad. I wish they came in a darker color. Actually, the Vans I'm looking at are very similar so I think I could pull it off.
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/103787.html

Thanks for the tip on the Sperrys. I'll keep looking at them before I decide.

ino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Where's that? I ordered mine from Zappo's, $55, overnight FedEx shipping and return shipping are free and they have a good rep. No tax either. Consider using the forum link if you go with them.
smile.gif

http://www.villageshoes.com/cojapucp1.html
they only have like 2 colors or something but thats all i wanted anyways either the navy or black one.. ive order from them before they are alright..

mrjit

Reaction score
Seeing older guys in vans/converse just screams "I play WOW and work on an IT helpdesk" to me.. I won't even get started on carpenter jeans..

Pumas/Adidas FTW!

(I'm a network eng, I work with the above vans wearing guys all the time.)

Nice shoes go a LONG way, just like watches. Put some money into them. That's not to say go buy a $300 pair of Puma Coutures if you can't afford them, but, don't practice frugality when choosing shoes.

Hopefully I don't sound like a prick in this post, not being elitist whatsoever. It just sounds like there's people purchasing shoes around a specific (very low) price range as opposed to buying the best shoes for their outfit/style.

Sperrys were a great suggestion. I LOVE Sperry Topsiders. I'm 22. I'm not a fan of the penny loafer style, but I have a "sporty" pair -- which I purchased at Dillards I believe several years ago, and haven't ever been able to find online. They are fantastic with jeans.

Also, Steve Madden typically has pretty stylish mens shoes. I'm not impressed with their current stuff, but if you can find Rascals, etc from 2-3 years back, they're great with jeans.

In the end, they're your feet, so if you want the Vans, get the vans.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sperry Topsiders mentioned above are classic deck shoes, just like the Vans Authentics. They literally look identical from more than 10 feet away. The only difference is going to be the lack of a Vans tag by the laces and the substitution of the Topsiders logo for "Vans Off the Wall" on the back. I don't get why folks are hung up on branding in this case where the branding is barely even noticeable.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog
The Sperry Topsiders mentioned above are classic deck shoes, just like the Vans Authentics. They literally look identical from more than 10 feet away. The only difference is going to be the lack of a Vans tag by the laces and the substitution of the Topsiders logo for "Vans Off the Wall" on the back. I don't get why folks are hung up on branding in this case where the branding is barely even noticeable.
Vans have waffle soles...

DesertRat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrjit
Seeing older guys in vans/converse just screams "I play WOW and work on an IT helpdesk" to me.. I won't even get started on carpenter jeans..

Pumas/Adidas FTW!

(I'm a network eng, I work with the above vans wearing guys all the time.)

Nice shoes go a LONG way, just like watches. Put some money into them. That's not to say go buy a $300 pair of Puma Coutures if you can't afford them, but, don't practice frugality when choosing shoes.

Hopefully I don't sound like a prick in this post, not being elitist whatsoever. It just sounds like there's people purchasing shoes around a specific (very low) price range as opposed to buying the best shoes for their outfit/style.

Sperrys were a great suggestion. I LOVE Sperry Topsiders. I'm 22. I'm not a fan of the penny loafer style, but I have a "sporty" pair -- which I purchased at Dillards I believe several years ago, and haven't ever been able to find online. They are fantastic with jeans.

Also, Steve Madden typically has pretty stylish mens shoes. I'm not impressed with their current stuff, but if you can find Rascals, etc from 2-3 years back, they're great with jeans.

In the end, they're your feet, so if you want the Vans, get the vans.

Appreciate the advice. You don't sound like a prick at all. Thanks!

DesertRat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog

Yep. They pretty much look the same to me. I'm leaning towards the Vans because they come in Black.

Thanks!

csgrad

Reaction score
For the older gentlemen, I would not go with any sporty shoes with white bottoms. It just doesn't work in my mind. Go with some earth tone leather/suede combos. Some brands that you can look into are previous mentioned Puma, Varvatos, and Sabelt.

Any of these:

http://www1.yoox.com/searchresult.as...tsearch/sabelt

Would work well.

DesertRat

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll check 'em out.

You guys have been very helpful!!!

Again, pulled the trigger on the Adidas Samba. Still thinking about the other pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads