• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for SHOES and a JACKET

hellopleasehelpme

Reaction score
Please don't abuse this newbie, oldtimers.

I currently have:
I know what I have is really as basic as it gets, but I'd appreciate some suggestions on what jackets and shoes to get. My budget is about $140 in total, but I'd REALLY prefer it if I could somehow get my spending down to about $110 or somewhere around there. I know getting decent shoes and jackets for less than $140 total might be asking for a bit much, but yeah. I can wait on a great sale for shoes for a while, but I need a jacket soon.

Jackets
What kinds of jackets do you guys recommend? And what colors go well with the stuff I mentioned above?

So I've been obsessed with Harrington jackets as of late and I very stupidly decided to order a Combat Harrington online. It came and the sleeves are ridiculously baggy, and now I have to return it and the whole things going to cost me like $50 because my dumbass thought it'd be a good idea to order something from overseas that only has like 2 fit pics online and without being able to try it on...

Well anyways, I really want a Harrington, but my problem with them is that pretty much all of the quality ones are from England which means insane shipping costs. Also, the cheapest reputable brand I could find was the Ben Nevis / Combat ones and I hated that one. Pretty much everything else is upwards of $80.

Another problem is the availability of the color I want. I've been looking for an olive one, but most of the Harringtons online that I've seen only have straight up from or some bastard version of it like peat green (what the hell is peat green). Yes, there's Jump the Gun, but I only just realized that they cost only $77 including shipping to the US. I should've bought their jacket instead...

If anyone is selling a decent, olive, cheap, slim Harrington jacket, hit me up haha.

I've also thought about getting a bomber because they look okay and you can get decent ones for relatively cheap. My problem with bombers though, is that eeeveryone has one. I know I'm kind of being a little ho worrying about that but yeah. Bombers are still definitely an option though.

So yeah, beyond those two options, I'm not really sure what else to look at. I've looked at some anoraks, and they're alright, but I'm not sure they're really my thing. I'll look at some more.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for something casual, in a college setting. Is there a magical, cheap, good jacket out there? I kind of like olive, and if not olive, maybe some kind of burgundy-ish jacket. Really any color that goes well with the pants I have above is find though. Also not a fan of peacoats.

Shoes
I've been thinking either CDBs or some suede / nubuck oxfords or derbys in some shade of brown
OR
Some all black vans or chucks.

What do you guys suggest? The CDBs/oxfords/derbys would be new territory for me because I've only worn sneakers all my life. Would those shoes in some shade of brown go well with the pants and tees I have above?

So any suggestions guys? I'm a student in uni, so I'm looking for more casual clothes. I'm just looking for something nice and somewhat cheap if possible. I have some ideas on what to get, but I'm also open to hearing some other ideas. Thanks for any advice you guys might be able to give.

Also, can someone tell me how to make a post on the buy & sell forum? I'm trying to sell that Combat Harrington I mentioned.

IChen

Reaction score
I mean I'm not a huge fan of Harrington jackets and I think for you being just a student, I'd shop at maybe like Zara for some clothing. I've found maybe like some brown "suede" jackets can work probably nice or just some nice jackets.

I don't know about Oxfords or something like that with the clothing you have. Unless you really needed to dress up maybe with like a nice clean button down + slacks, then oxfords could work. But they're probably not going to be used often since I'd think a college student always walking around in nice button downs + jeans + those dumb suede lace up oxfords....uh wouldn't exactly be a great look unless you needed to be dressed up. That being said, if you DID want to dress up, maybe a pair of clean jeans + suede oxfords could work, but then again, why would you really need this in uni unless you're like 24-30 and going on a nice first date or something?

I mean they can look nice, but they're not going to be used often and I'd rather recommend a...."nicer dressier" sneaker than oxfords. Like I'd rather recommend Adidas Campus sneakers to a Uni student than suede Oxfords.

Colrais

Reaction score
A college student doesn't need CBDs/oxfords/derbies. You simply won't find yourself reaching for them, and for good reason: they're awkward around your crowd. If you'd like some dressed up shoes to wear with jeans and chinos, consider a pair of chukkas, jodhpurs, or chelseas, preferably suede. But like as not, and especially for your situation, I'd strongly second the suggestion for a pair of smart sneakers. The difference between sports/running sneakers and smart [traditional tennis?] sneakers is light night and day.

A Harrington jacket works fine. It's versatile and can in theory be used to dress down a pair of chinos + ocbd later on, although olive and burgundy aren't the most versatile colors for that purpose. As to whether you'd do a bomber, do what fits you best; not what everyone else is or isn't doing.

Given your budget, Zara and H&M or even Uniqlo on sale are your best bets, and honestly I think worth the go just to try on some styles and figure out what works for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads