• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Schmuck (ehemm WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING) Who Gave Jeter His Ball Back

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
I listened to an interview last night on WFAN with the fan who caught Roger Maris' 61st homer in 1961.

He was rushed down to the Yankee clubhouse in between innings where he met Maris and took photos. The guy said Maris told him to "keep the ball and make some money."

So he did.

He sold the ball to a restauranteur in Sacramento of all places for $5,000 (the guy was bringing home $60 a week in '61).

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a sad day when someone is roundly panned for doing the "right" thing. It's not all about money, and if you want to be completely low he probably raised his image so much with this act of altruism that he'll be able to make even more money off of it than he would selling the ball.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Real easy to say that, but when you have your kids tugging at your leg for 6 ficking innings to buy them a Jeter tee shirt or bat its a different story.

Sure you don't "have" to spend $500, but if you don't want to sit in the upper deck and actually watch the game, seats are easily over $100. You and two kids are already up to $300 just on tickets. You can't bring any food or drinks into the stadium, so even if its soda all around, its another $50 on food and drinks, $20 to park the car, so even a cheap night is going to cost you $400. Not exactly Richmond.

Stubhub has tickets to the next Yankees home game (Friday the 22nd) starting at $13, with plenty of tickets below $25. For under $100 total, you can get 3 tickets with parking easily. It's a 3 hour game so eat before and you have no reason to need to eat there, and they permit you to bring in a 1 liter bottle of water per person. They may not be the best seats in the house, but you can easily go to a game for less than $100. So that cheap night you quoted at $400 is realistically under $100. With just a couple minutes of research, and without a sense of entitlement of having to get good seats, food, soda, etc., I easily came in at 25% of your "cheap night" budget.

They also have plenty of field level tickets for less than $100/ticket as well.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
OK, NOW this thread couldn't get any worse.

don't just put ish like that out there...explain!! it was asked if he volunteered the ball and i replied that he did and the yanks made him sign something sayin that he did....

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
He was my favorite player when I was a kid. I was so psyched for that game, and it just killed me. I was depressed for like 15 minutes.

Wow, mine too, but he was insane, sadly.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
Stubhub has tickets to the next Yankees home game (Friday the 22nd) starting at $13, with plenty of tickets below $25. For under $100 total, you can get 3 tickets with parking easily. It's a 3 hour game so eat before and you have no reason to need to eat there, and they permit you to bring in a 1 liter bottle of water per person. They may not be the best seats in the house, but you can easily go to a game for less than $100. So that cheap night you quoted at $400 is realistically under $100. With just a couple minutes of research, and without a sense of entitlement of having to get good seats, food, soda, etc., I easily came in at 25% of your "cheap night" budget.

What you are clearly not understanding is that Big Sports has brainwashed the good working people of the US into making them think no trip to the ball park is complete without a buying a jersey (one per child), expensive fast food and alcohol, and the best seats you can afford using a Pay Day loan. Big Sports has so corrupted the good working people of the US we cannot hold them accountable for over spending on such items.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Ricky Henderson is the only name from the 80's that really matters.
When he stole one of his record braking bases, grabbed the base over his head and screamed "I am the grady!!!!" I almost pissed my pants. Still, what a phenomenal ballplayer. It's hard for me to think of anybody much better in my lifetime, though I know there are arguments for many.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. I've posted the stat before, but Henderson has more walks leading off an inning than some HOFers have in their entire careers.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
It's a sad day when someone is roundly panned for doing the "right" thing. It's not all about money, and if you want to be completely low he probably raised his image so much with this act of altruism that he'll be able to make even more money off of it than he would selling the ball.

I doubt it. I still can't remember this guys name. Or the name of the guy who caught Mark McGwire's ball. Or Barry Bonds. In a few weeks people will have forgotten about it. And anyone who meets him will likely just say "oh, you're the guy who gave back Jeter's ball? Huh. I probably would have kept it."

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823

I don't buy this rationale. Doing what you suggest is like going to a fancy restaurant and ordering water and a salad cause it's all you can afford. In that case dont go to the fancy place, but this isnt about some uppity eatery, its the ******* ballpark. The whole package is what a ball game is. And your $13 seats are where you literally need binoculars to see the players, and when the Pirates or Royals are in town. Why do you think food prices are what they are, because they know people will pay them.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I still hold to my contention that he is the most underrated superstar ever. The fact that he could still get on the field today and out run most of these "speedsters" is phenomenal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads