The Schmuck (ehemm WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING) Who Gave Jeter His Ball Back

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NewYorkIslander, Jul 10, 2011.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Okay, 3000th hit, $10,000 + HR for 3000th hit $10,000 (being generous here) + First New York Yankee to have all 3000 hits in a Yankee Uniform $50,000 + Jeter being Jeter $35,000 - Sports Memorbilia market being down $15,000 = $90,000

dude....stop saying that the market is down.....this not a "MARKET" type item. there are VERY wealthy season ticket holders at yankee stadium and collectors worldwide that would step up. $250K may be a lot to regular people...it ain't to the wealthy..

2. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Besides the fact that this kid would have a huge tax liability, he did the right thing.

3. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

dude....stop saying that the market is down.....this not a "MARKET" type item. there are VERY wealthy season ticket holders at yankee stadium and collectors worldwide that would step up. $250K may be a lot to regular people...it ain't to the wealthy..

That's it I quit. You're just trolling at this point. You offer nothing to back up anything you say.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

That's it I quit. You're just trolling at this point. You offer nothing to back up anything you say.

No I am not trolling. $250K is not a lot of money to a collector/wealthy Yankee fan.....

5. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

It would be really funny if Derek Jeter sold the ball.

6. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

I can't say I agree with you. If ever there were two guys worthy of emulation by the young fans of the game, it's Jeter and Ripkin. If I had to go back in time and not be utterly infatuated with the play of Ken Griffey Jr., knowing what I do now about how important character is in an athlete, I'd likely have become a shortstop.

This has nothing to do with being pampered and overpaid. Their salaries combined with the treatment they get make them pampered. Shit, the meal money these guy get on a daily allowance is more than most Americans make in a year.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

What an embarrassment this thread is.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

What an embarrassment this thread is.
    You people should be shot.
    See, you agree with me more often than you realize.

9. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Shit, the meal money these guy get on a daily allowance is more than most Americans make in a year.

OK. This is low-hanging fruit but I couldn't resist.

According to this, the average disposable income in Amerikkka in 2005 was $31,410.

Now, if we were to think NYR is correct (and there is no reason to do so) that means MLB players are getting $32k meal allowances. His poor word choice makes it unclear if he means that is what they receive daily or annually. I hope he means the former but I'm sure the latter.

So somehow these players will find a way to spend that much money on food for 162 days a year, forgetting that the clubhouse has food for them wherever they go and teams are spending $1.3 million on player food. Alone.

Really NYR, you are an all star poster.

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

OK. This is low-hanging fruit but I couldn't resist.

According to this, the average disposable income in Amerikkka in 2005 was $31,410.

Now, if we were to think NYR is correct (and there is no reason to do so) that means MLB players are getting $32k meal allowances. His poor word choice makes it unclear if he means that is what they receive daily or annually. I hope he means the former but I'm sure the latter.

So somehow these players will find a way to spend that much money on food for 162 days a year, forgetting that the clubhouse has food for them wherever they go and teams are spending $1.3 million on player food. Alone.

Really NYR, you are an all star poster.

Your sarcasm detector may need an oil change...[​IMG]

11. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

12. B Hamilton

B Hamilton Senior member

I hate this "right thing" statement. He made a personal choice. I do think if this guy played it right, he could make that $ and gain goodwill at the same time. I just hope he came to terms with the fact that everyone will mark his every professional move by how much he left on the table.

13. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

http://mlb.mlb.com/players/jeter_derek/turn2/turn2us.jsp

Summer school in NYC blows. The $$ is good though, ~$48 an hour, but I work afterschool during the year so I don't have to deal with summers. Afterschool sessions are voluntary and are enrichment-based rather than mandated. Dealing with kids who want to be there during the year is much better than dealing with kids who have to be there in July and August. What sucks is that I wind up blowing my afterschool checks during the year at Franks...[​IMG]

14. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

Does anyone even know how the guy "gave the ball back"?

Did Yankee security home in on him and politely offered a trade? Or did he actually voluntarily do it?

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

See, you agree with me more often than you realize.
    You are an all-star in my book. Maybe like Atlee Hammaker in the all star game, but an all-star nonetheless.