• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Schmuck (ehemm WONDERFUL HUMAN BEING) Who Gave Jeter His Ball Back

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
Does anyone even know how the guy "gave the ball back"?

Did Yankee security home in on him and politely offered a trade? Or did he actually voluntarily do it?

they said that he volunteered...
i also heard that the yankees made him sign a waiver that stated that he gave the ball to them under no "pressure."

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
i also heard that the yankees made him sign a waiver that stated that he gave the ball to them under no "pressure."

Made him sign under no pressure?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Logan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Okay, 3000th hit, $10,000 + HR for 3000th hit $10,000 (being generous here) + First New York Yankee to have all 3000 hits in a Yankee Uniform $50,000 + Jeter being Jeter $35,000 - Sports Memorbilia market being down $15,000 = $90,000

Where are you getting these numbers? Maybe to you the ball isn't worth a lot, but I'd have to side with ter and think there is some moron out there will to plop down a **** ton of coin for it.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Logan
Where are you getting these numbers? Maybe to you the ball isn't worth a lot, but I'd have to side with ter and think there is some moron out there will to plop down a **** ton of coin for it.

he is just guessing and using low $$ values....there is def a moron out there that would have spent serious coin on that ball...

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
You are an all-star in my book. Maybe like Atlee Hammaker in the all star game, but an all-star nonetheless.
I had never heard of him before this. Still, I suppose there are worse records to be known for. You could be the guy who gave Derek Jeter's 3000th hit ball back to him for almost nothing.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I had never heard of him before this. Still, I suppose there are worse records to be known for. You could be the guy who gave Derek Jeter's 3000th hit ball back to him for almost nothing.
He was my favorite player when I was a kid. I was so psyched for that game, and it just killed me. I was depressed for like 15 minutes.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
so i read like the first four pages of this thread but i'd like to point out how marsupialed it is to say that it costs $500 to go to a yankee game because you have to buy souvenirs and hotdogs.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey the guy did a nice thing. maybe not smart.

no reason Jeter can't do the "right" thing too and quietly ship him 50k. that's pocket change.

DBoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
no reason Jeter can't ... quietly ship him 50k. that's pocket change.

Other than the fact that he's an entitled whiner

But seriously NYR, calling him a schmuck for not demanding payment is why people stereotype northeasterners, NYers in particular, for being such ******* assholes

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
Other than the fact that he's an entitled whiner But seriously NYR, calling him a schmuck for not demanding payment is why people stereotype northeasterners, NYers in particular, for being such ******* assholes
the kid that gave the ball back is a stereotypical hispanic/latino/puertorican yankee fan too right? (in this case it could be viewed as a positive stereotype depending upon your view point). when I say stereotypical hispanic yankee fan.. I mean a mean/scary looking latino guy i'm sitting next to who leers at me (because I'm in a boston red sox tshirt) but end up having a great conversation-quasi friendly argument that as the beers flow we end up being increasingly complementary about each other's team. its the weird riled up white guys or the latino girls that usually start the fights at yankee stadium. its usually yankee fan on yankee fan crimes too. say what you want about east coast stereotypes... but all the guys who caught Bond's historic HRs in PacBell sold those motherfuckers for a huge profit (even suing each others asses in the process).

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
so i read like the first four pages of this thread but i'd like to point out how marsupialed it is to say that it costs $500 to go to a yankee game because you have to buy souvenirs and hotdogs.

Real easy to say that, but when you have your kids tugging at your leg for 6 ficking innings to buy them a Jeter tee shirt or bat its a different story.

Sure you don't "have" to spend $500, but if you don't want to sit in the upper deck and actually watch the game, seats are easily over $100. You and two kids are already up to $300 just on tickets. You can't bring any food or drinks into the stadium, so even if its soda all around, its another $50 on food and drinks, $20 to park the car, so even a cheap night is going to cost you $400. Not exactly Richmond.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
Does anyone even know how the guy "gave the ball back"?

Did Yankee security home in on him and politely offered a trade? Or did he actually voluntarily do it?

Originally Posted by ter1413

OK, NOW this thread couldn't get any worse.

Originally Posted by DBoon
But seriously NYR, calling him a schmuck for not demanding payment is why northeasterners, NYers in particular, are such ******* assholes

Now that it is fixed you are correct.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just heard on cnn that the 23 year old kid with $100,000 in student loans is going to get hit for gift taxes for the tickets, etc.

its kind of funny cuz in property and in tax classes in law schools, most students get asked about the value of a caught baseball whether it is a gift, your property, blablabla

the question of the morning on cnn is whether the kid would have been better off not catching the baseball lol ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads