• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

questions about this site

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like any other vbulletin site (actually it looks a lot better than many of them).

This is good because people are familiar with how vbulletin sites work, and every layer of customization you add on top of the vbulletin software gives you another place for the site to break or run into performance issues (when applying bugfixes and upgrades and such to the core software).

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mr la guy idaho guy mod no one asked me to review anything and I spend more time looking at this site than most people here
wink.gif
I also has good interwebz ide-ers

this-justin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
The reason this site is designed like this is because vBulletin is the preeminent (and best) forum platform available. This site uses vBulletin for its boards.

Understood, but the vBulletin website also states that it is design-independent. It can essentially look any way one wants it to using primarily HTML and CSS.

I realize it's probably more an issue of time and resources.

this-justin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Looks like any other vbulletin site (actually it looks a lot better than many of them).

This is good because people are familiar with how vbulletin sites work, and every layer of customization you add on top of the vbulletin software gives you another place for the site to break or run into performance issues (when applying bugfixes and upgrades and such to the core software).

Indeed. This, next to time/resources, is probably the strongest argument for the off-the-shelf look and feel.

this-justin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
The design of those websites are dead...

I respectfully disagree, but I can't wait to see the new system and format for this site then!

Any idea when it might get implemented?

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
mr la guy idaho guy mod no one asked me to review anything and I spend more time looking at this site than most people here
wink.gif
I also has good interwebz ide-ers

stop kissing ass,you were that kid in school no one liked because you tried to hard

scourage

Reaction score
I like to think of the red U as like a pocket square that picks up the hues of the similarly colored highlighted bars throughout the page.

this-justin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
If you can point to forums that are better designed, go ahead, but comparing a vBulletin board to a regular website is as fruitless as comparing apples to oranges.

Here are three very straightforward forum examples that I think are better designed. Click through a few levels on each to get a sense of things...

Typophile

Stones Throw Records

Australian INfront

Now, I don't mean to say that sf should look exactly like these, but they are good examples that show a level of sophistication that the sf forums are currently lacking. The functionality, as you see, is similar. They are all, after all, online forums.

The visual presentation, though, is cleaner and gets out of the way of the content (more so than sf). The typography hierarchy feels more considered. I don't think anyone can argue that these examples are difficult to navigate. In fact, I would say that they are easier to navigate than sf's current state.

When I go to the Typophile forum I feel like I am at the Typophile forum. When I go to the Stones Throw fourm, I feel like I am at the Stones Throw forum. When I go to the styleforum boards, I feel like I am at a visually cluttered vBulletin forum with the name "styleforum" in the upper left hand corner.

To me, it's sort of like comparing an off-the-shelf suit that maybe doesn't fit quite right, to one that has been fit and tailored for a particular body. The small details count.

Again, no disrespect to anyone here. I mean well. I just think that the sf visual presentation could feel more intentional; more tailored to its audience and its great content.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Being a graphic designer myself, I've always thought the same thing -- why does a site that deals with fashion and high-end menswear not have a more sophisticated look? -- but eventually realized it would take some serious commitment of hours and resources to both design and manage a customized forum site. The job J and LAguy do now is already quite impressive. The OTR vBulletin solution seems to work and everyone is comfortable with it. It doesn't really impede good discussion, though it would be interesting to see if a more sophisticated "skin" would elevate conversation, attract new members or change behavior. I fear "Dumb Threads" might suffer. :) I'm curious to see what's in store for the redesign. Btw, I'm a member at Typophile and while it's more elegant, it's not that much different. Granted, there are no heavy bars dividing posts, the Georgia face is nicer to read, and the avatars are cooler, but it's not miles ahead. I do appreciate your interest. Maybe you should volunteer to help with the redesign!
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
as for the highlighted "U" in Forum, it's a throwback to when the forum was originally made and I think it was supposed to be some sort of 'style for you' thing.
I hadn't heard that. I thought it was a nod to the original logo which highlighted the "U" by using the Latin "V" as in STYLEFORVM. I think BrianSD redesigned the logo, maybe he'll chime in.

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
I find the design of this site fine. Most sites that try to go "web 2.0" end up looking horrible. Simple is best. Hopefully the new site won't look like cluttered ****. For example, the design of superfuture is absolutely horrible. The main reason I do not post on superfuture is because it is a cluttered POS.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VB is probably the best and most supported forum software out there. Changing the design is extremely difficult, as it is a very complex piece of software. But again, OP really needs to speak to Vox to get a true understanding of what is and isn't possible.

this-justin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Btw, I'm a member at Typophile and while it's more elegant, it's not that much different. Granted, there are no heavy bars dividing posts, the Georgia face is nicer to read, and the avatars are cooler, but it's not miles ahead.

Agreed; which is a great argument, actually, in favor of elevating sf's visual presentation. Even some seemingly little things here and there could make significant improvements.

(where in CA are you, by the way?)

I do recognize, however, as you mentioned, that it would require some dedication to carry out and possibly maintain. I think it might be a fun project.

And to the anti-web2.0 folks, I am with you. Take a look at the examples I mentioned: not "web 2.0."
Just clean, streamlined, elegant experiences.

I am also curious about the upcoming redesign. It will be interesting to see!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads