• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

P Johnson MTM

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice POW pattern, lovely fabric, but jacket looks too short for me, and I prefer DB jackets without pocket flaps. Doesn't work for me overall, but that's just me. You obviously got what you wanted, and that's all that matters.

PG should take off the beads on his wrist. It looks ridiculous.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he's waiting for a few more people on the internet to start wearing beads so he can berate them and move on to another gimmick...

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stateless

web.jpg

web.jpg

This is a great effort - I especially like your fabric selection and your accessorising, especially considering your beaut wedding backdrop.

I'll be honest though, (and please don't take this any other way than contructive) I don't think DB is the style most suited to your body shape. I think you look good in this suit, no doubt. But I can't help thinking that a 2bt SB would have looked better on you.

As far as I recall this is your first MTM, and there are always a few quirks to iron out when starting with a new tailor (Phat also admitted as much about his first PJ suit I believe). You should be encouraged that if you are happy with how this one turned out, the next suit(s) should be even better.

stateless

Reaction score
I don't think DB is the style most suited to your body shape.

I don't disagree, a DB suit is less forgiving of more body shapes than a SB; and mine is one of those.

The changes to jacket length, button stance, etc were intended to help with this.

You should be encouraged that if you are happy with how this one turned out, the next suit(s) should be even better.

Again with the agreement. By no means a perfect execution, and my next order (SC and trousers) will be better, as will the one after that.

One of the things I really enjoy about the process is the relationship you create with the tailor and the whole "journey" aspect.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again with the agreement. By no means a perfect execution, and my next order (SC and trousers) will be better, as will the one after that. One of the things I really enjoy about the process is the relationship you create with the tailor and the whole "journey" aspect.
Agree with the above. No doubt your future items will improve. That should be the case with all tailors. However, keep in mind the relationship you're building is with the person measuring you/selling you the item/s. The actual tailors are the people making your suits/jackets/trousers etc., and they're in Holland. That's the difference between MTM (in this case offshore MTM) and bespoke. With the latter, you're building a relationship with the cutter and often the person actually putting your suit together. That's why I personally prefer bespoke, but naturally the cost of such can be a downside for many. I, too, have gone MTM on occasions, and have done so again recently (with a tailor in the UK and the USA). But in doing so, I'm quite aware I'm building a relationship with the shopfront people, not the actual tailors cutting and/or making my suits.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks mate.

I did. The photo is also shot from a low angle, making the jacket appear shorter than it really is. The top photo shoes the balance a bit more accurately.

Shorter jacket, slightly shorter sleeves, high buttons, higher than normal pant break. I think it tightens DB suits that can often look a bit sack-y and loose.

Tom duly informed me that I was moving beyond what was "traditional" in a DB suit, but understood what I was reaching for.

I would have had that jacket less tight. You can see one of the buttons is pulling...or is that too much wedding cake ? Congrats and have a good marriage! I have just come up to 25 years.

Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
[/SPOILER]

This is a great effort - I especially like your fabric selection and your accessorising, especially considering your beaut wedding backdrop.

I'll be honest though, (and please don't take this any other way than contructive) I don't think DB is the style most suited to your body shape. I think you look good in this suit, no doubt. But I can't help thinking that a 2bt SB would have looked better on you.

As far as I recall this is your first MTM, and there are always a few quirks to iron out when starting with a new tailor (Phat also admitted as much about his first PJ suit I believe). You should be encouraged that if you are happy with how this one turned out, the next suit(s) should be even better.

This.

stateless

Reaction score
I would have had that jacket less tight. You can see one of the buttons is pulling

That's the biggest problem I see with the suit - too much with the wait suppression.

Congrats and have a good marriage! I have just come up to 25 years.

Thanks! And congrats on your 25 years. Any tips?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have, and her birthday is in a couple weeks as well, and then mine a week after that. Added to that Mother's Day is this Sunday and May is always an expensive month in this family.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stateless, congrats on the wedding.
Originally Posted by TheWraith
PG should take off the beads on his wrist. It looks ridiculous.
It's a Buddhist bead bracelet, moran. You might as well tell a Christian to take a crucifix off a necklace, or a Muslim to take a hijab off, or a Jew to take a skullcap off because it 'looks ridiculous'. Yet another TheWraith fail.
facepalm.gif

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
It's a Buddhist bead bracelet, moran.

You might as well tell a Christian to take a crucifix off a necklace, or a Muslim to take a hijab off, or a Jew to take a skullcap off because it 'looks ridiculous'.
facepalm.gif

if you're gonna call someone a moron better spell it correctly
teacha.gif
facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads