• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

P Johnson MTM

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interested. Please do
smile.gif

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lennier
If people are interested I'm happy to post some updates when it's done. It will be a mid grey subtle check by Loro Piana, neapolitan shoulder, notch lapel. Much like (if not identical to) the April 7 pic on their website archive.

Ha!

That's mine, mate (I'm the mysterious RN).
fistbump.gif

Beautiful fabric IRL; I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

lennier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ColdEyedPugilist
Ha!

That's mine, mate (I'm the mysterious RN).
fistbump.gif

Beautiful fabric IRL; I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Ah cool, it looks like it came up well! Did you get the lighter or darker variant of that fabric? Mine will be the lighter one.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To date I have had 2 suits & 1 SC delivered - IMO better than anything I ever got from WW Chan. All jacket have soft shoulder, 3 PP, 2B SB, double vent & pants are plane front, button fly & side tabs LP "The Wave" suit
110411056.jpg
110411059-1.jpg
LP Wool/Mohair suit
110414056.jpg
110414057.jpg
Ariston linen SC
110415062a.jpg
110415065-1.jpg
On the way, a LP 4 Seasons grey flannel , LP "Zelander" blue + grey/tobacco window check & finalising 2 more for winter this week. Details in my bRog.. Also, I picked up my shirt last week & have ordered another 5 in Thomas Mason. IMO P J currently offers the best value in Australia & the best service.

dan'l

Reaction score
@ PG, I really like your jackets, especially the patch pockets. I saw some of the details on the bRog and was thoroughly impressed.

I read in Monocle magazine that PJ has their suits finished in the Netherlands. Does anyone know if there is a comparable tailor in Northern Europe that uses the same shop? Amsterdam is a five hour drive for me versus a 25 hour flight to Sydney.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All looks very good, though you should button that button down collar shirt. It looks a little silly unbuttoned. Otherwise, all very good. Wear it in good health.

Getzione

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dan'l
@ PG, I really like your jackets, especially the patch pockets. I saw some of the details on the bRog and was thoroughly impressed.

I read in Monocle magazine that PJ has their suits finished in the Netherlands. Does anyone know if there is a comparable tailor in Northern Europe that uses the same shop? Amsterdam is a five hour drive for me versus a 25 hour flight to Sydney.

Theres several in Sweden and one in Norway atleast. PM for deets.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That linen suit is sure sharp!
worship.gif

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Just got back from having my first appointment with Tom in Melbourne.

I ordered a navy three piece made up with an extra set of trousers. Plenty of cloth choices - which can be overwhelming for a first timer. We picked out a shade marginally lighter then french navy, more of a 'ink navy' in S120. Options that i adopted included side tabs and button fly on the trousers and a slightly lower button stance to their default. He is only having one pair of pants made initially, with the second getting ordered after the first fitting (in case there are any changes).

As others have already mentioned the hardest part is choosing the shoulder style - I went in wanting a roped shoulder, but Tom convinced me to try the soft shoulder for a first suit. He noted that my shoulders are quite square already and didn't. The only down side was that he didn't have any examples of the style around (other then the jacket he was wearing). That said, he mentioned that in the next week or so he'll be moving into a new location in South Melbourne and will have plenty of samples around.

In the end I decided to go with his best judgment on the shoulders - although I must admit I am still a little nervous and excited at the same time.

The only thing that I am thinking of is whether I should stump up a little extra for the hand finish. I like the hand finished look, but not sure if it is worth it on our first collaboration.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
The only thing that I am thinking of is whether I should stump up a little extra for the hand finish. I like the hand finished look, but not sure if it is worth it on our first collaboration.
Save your money - your first MTM/bespoke outfit will at best with time be an above average suit as opposed to a bang on one; it is par for the course that very few hit the nail on the head first time around, and the ones that can do so charge you enough to wish they couldn't.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Just got back from having my first appointment with Tom in Melbourne. I ordered a navy three piece made up with an extra set of trousers. Plenty of cloth choices - which can be overwhelming for a first timer. We picked out a shade marginally lighter then french navy, more of a 'ink navy' in S120. Options that i adopted included side tabs and button fly on the trousers and a slightly lower button stance to their default. He is only having one pair of pants made initially, with the second getting ordered after the first fitting (in case there are any changes). As others have already mentioned the hardest part is choosing the shoulder style - I went in wanting a roped shoulder, but Tom convinced me to try the soft shoulder for a first suit. He noted that my shoulders are quite square already and didn't. The only down side was that he didn't have any examples of the style around (other then the jacket he was wearing). That said, he mentioned that in the next week or so he'll be moving into a new location in South Melbourne and will have plenty of samples around. In the end I decided to go with his best judgment on the shoulders - although I must admit I am still a little nervous and excited at the same time. The only thing that I am thinking of is whether I should stump up a little extra for the hand finish. I like the hand finished look, but not sure if it is worth it on our first collaboration.
Don't think I can fault your logic Check.

As far as Tom's advice, I would generally agree that if you have square shoulders a soft shoulder on your jacket should look particularly well on your frame.

__PG__

Reaction score
PG - what double monks are you wearing out of interest?

Also - is the linen SC fully lined?

lennier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Save your money - your first MTM/bespoke outfit will at best with time be an above average suit as opposed to a bang on one; it is par for the course that very few hit the nail on the head first time around, and the ones that can do so charge you enough to wish they couldn't.
+1

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lennier
Ah cool, it looks like it came up well! Did you get the lighter or darker variant of that fabric? Mine will be the lighter one.

Think I got the lighter one.

Have you collected your's yet?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics