• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nohio
Still not convoinced. Tweed might be unfinished, but it doesn't have to be that rough. Example from Bookster: http://www.tweed-jacket.com/CLOTH%20PAGE/CLOTH%20GALLERY/images/1%20duddingston_jpg.jpg[/IMG From [URL='http://www.thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5142']this thread[/URL] on the London Lounge: [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/8nGX8.jpg[/IMG If you don't thing the OP's coat is tweed, what would you call it?[/I]
I'd assume that it's just a standard worsted, like this one: [IMG]http://assets.fabricsamples.com/images/item/thumb/worsted-wool-suiting-sophia-check-blackred.jpg But without a better photo (a scan of the fabric would be best) it would be impossible to really be sure.

SartorialConductor

Reaction score
So I thought I knew how to dress until I found this forum. Anyway I'm becoming very intrigued by looking better and claiming style. However on a grad student budget it's not easy. I'm getting into thrifting in Dayton OH and would love your opinions on the following pics. The suit: Its not a big name that ive seen on here and it's pleated. Is it worth 8 bucks and alterations? It's hard to tell but it's got plaid to it. The shirt: it's Falconable and I think I read that's good... The ties: blue is Dior. Red is Robert Talbott. What do you think? How did I do? Oh and I know I'm not looking great I'm coming off a cold and a less that desirable haircut :/

derrickrose1

Reaction score
anyone know anything about villa ponti ties? i never heard of them but i picked one up today. seems like decent quality.

P4290298.jpg

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
I bought some Van Ness Allen Edmonds but they are too narrow. I wore them outside.

Can I return them at the Allen Edmonds store I bought them at? They wanted to stretch it but it didn't help after they did stretch it. How strict is their return policy? What if I complain to the 'supervisor'?

payoffwizard

Reaction score
What fabrics and weaves should my ties be? I'm just building my business wardrobe so my tie selection is limited, but the ones I have have are all silk and of average quality. I don't really like how they look against my wool suits.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Bananagrabber
Picking out buttons for a slightly lighter than navy suit. One of the options I have is some cream colored horn buttons. For a blazer I think that might look ok, but I am apprehensive about lighter buttons on a suit. What is proper etiquette for suit button color? Always matching in tone or darker?

I'd go same tone or darker

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by payoffwizard
What fabrics and weaves should my ties be? I'm just building my business wardrobe so my tie selection is limited, but the ones I have have are all silk and of average quality. I don't really like how they look against my wool suits.

I think you should pick ties by what appeals to you and not by fabric

TQ Smooth

Reaction score
Very quick question. With everyones knowledge in here, im sure somebody will be able to help me. Im getting married in July and am desperately searching for this suit.

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2009/03...as-court-case/

I gather from these photos that this is probably a sports coat, however i would like to replicate this entire look in a suit. If ANYONE can help point me in the right direction i will be eternally grateful.
Thank you.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TQ Smooth
Very quick question. With everyones knowledge in here, im sure somebody will be able to help me. Im getting married in July and am desperately searching for this suit. http://justjared.buzznet.com/2009/03...as-court-case/ I gather from these photos that this is probably a sports coat, however i would like to replicate this entire look in a suit. If ANYONE can help point me in the right direction i will be eternally grateful. Thank you.
Looks like a moderately heavy flannel, the pattern is a glen plaid. Shouldn't be all that hard to find, and pretty easy if you're having it made. Certainly it's very possible that that's a suit, and if not would look great as one. And if you find one, odds are that it'll be on sale with the rest of the winter stock. But for a july wedding, a flannel suit isn't smart. You can find that pattern and color in other fabrics- Brooks Brothers has one in their Golden fleece (top end) line. Not quite the same check, but: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize= 3 pc: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T-Rex
Awesome, Thanks Anyone know where to get quality belts, socks and the other smaller details of a man's wardrobe? As far as my budget, it's not huge - but I want to know what to look for in a good leather belt - more the quality of the leather, any common mistakes made when buying a belt - examples of a hiearchy of dress belt makers... And as far as socks are concerned... I really just don't know where to get decent, quality over the calf dress socks.... because I only have one pair of ones i picked up at Johnson & Murphy...nothing spectacular, but $18 a pair is just too much for socks I wear every day on this budget.
As previously mentioned, the Gold Toe sock (now frequently available at warehouse clubs like Costco or Sam's, etc) are pretty good but I find them to be a bit short and I'm only 5' 9". Burlington Coat Factory, as of this past week, had men's dress socks of various makes (solids and patterns) on sale at the ridiculously low price of 3 pairs for $6. I've worn and washed some of them a couple of times now and they seem to be holding up. Here's some pics.
IMG_20110420_081954.jpg
IMG_20110427_085550.jpg

Also, they have decent quality dress belts for less than $20 as long as you only want black or brown. No burgundy.
mad.gif
There's two schools of thought as to whether to buy expensive belts that last for decades or go cheap and replace every year. We won't discuss that here.

Rasmoo

Reaction score
This is my first post here
smile.gif
My question is, how do I identify whether a jacket is a suit jacket, blazer or a sports jacket? And which one is best to wear casually, mostly with jeans but occasionally with chinos? I bought a jacket yesterday, but I'm considering returning it because it seems a bit too formal to wear as an everyday item. I might post a picture later, but from what I gather you'd call it a blazer. Thank you. Edit: Pictures here - http://imgur.com/a/pTxPD Couldn't get a picture where you could see the jacket properly while I was wearing it, sorry.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rasmoo
smile.gif

My question is, how do I identify whether a jacket is a suit jacket, blazer or a sports jacket?
And which one is best to wear casually, mostly with jeans but occasionally with chinos?

I bought a jacket yesterday, but I'm considering returning it because it seems a bit too formal to wear as an everyday item. I might post a picture later, but from what I gather you'd call it a blazer.

Thank you.

Edit: Pictures here - http://imgur.com/a/pTxPD
Couldn't get a picture where you could see the jacket properly while I was wearing it, sorry.

I'm not an expert by any means, but this quick little paragraph should be a help:

http://www.esquire.com/style/tips/bl...vs-jacket-0709

Esquire

In the U.S., blazer has come to mean anything that has sleeves and lapels and is worn with unmatched pants, but there are key differences between the three items you mention. In Europe and the tonier parts of the States "” especially any place where messing about in boats is a big part of summer "” a blazer [above, left] usually means a patch "” pocket, navy "” blue jacket with gold or (occasionally) silver buttons. The landlubberly sport coat [above, center], meanwhile, originally derived from the tweedy, robust coats worn while assisting in the untimely end of feathered or furry creatures. It had pockets with flaps, often an extra flapped ticket pocket, and was of softer construction than a suit jacket. As a modern fashion item, it should still retain the somewhat rustic, earthy look of its forebear (even when made in cashmere).

Finally, a suit jacket [above, right] will always be made of the finer stuff, i.e., worsted wool, and smooth to the touch. Still, all that said, it's rarely that cut "” and "” dried. Life's too short.

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/style/tips/bl...#ixzz1L1d2Y1qW
To my (untrained) eye that looks like a suit jacket.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rasmoo
smile.gif

My question is, how do I identify whether a jacket is a suit jacket, blazer or a sports jacket?
And which one is best to wear casually, mostly with jeans but occasionally with chinos?

I bought a jacket yesterday, but I'm considering returning it because it seems a bit too formal to wear as an everyday item. I might post a picture later, but from what I gather you'd call it a blazer.

Thank you.

Edit: Pictures here - http://imgur.com/a/pTxPD
Couldn't get a picture where you could see the jacket properly while I was wearing it, sorry.

It's certainly workable as a sportcoat. Whether it began life with matching pants I couldn't tell you. Certainly, that type of fabric is used for suits, but it's also wearable as a sportcoat.

There's no cut and dry definition. A sportcoat will be made the same way as the coat to a suit- the difference is just that one has matching pants. But there are details that are more common on sportcoats then suits- bolder, rougher and louder fabrics are all much more common on sportcoats these days. This didn't used to be the case, but things like tweed suits are rather rare these days, sadly. Also, buttons. If it has metal buttons, it's a blazer and has no matching pants. If it has contrasting buttons that aren't metal (wood, leather, bone) then odds are it's a sportcoat. Or the jacket for a suit ordered by somebody who obsessed over details.

Matty D

Reaction score
I posted this question a couple pages back, decided I need pictures to get the help I need. I'm going to a wedding in a week and need help deciding what to wear. Option A is a black suit. Does this knit tie work/is it appropriate? If so, what other other shirts would work with this? I think the white looks nice, but I'm open to other options since I need to buy more shirts anyways. Any suggestion?

sd0H5.jpg

Option B is a grey blazer. I don't have any pants here to match to this, so that's a problem. What kind of pants would work with this, and would this sort of mixing and matching be appropriate to wear to a wedding? The GF thinks it isn't.

RFwol.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads