• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Atlas Shrugged The Movie

pstoller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
Do you mind if I ask your age?

And how many other books he's read?

Nananine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gtg732w
The first third of the book was almost strictly character development for the latter portion, so while the first movie is almost guaranteed to be boring, the latter 2/3 of the book crescendos into a magnificent explosion of classically liberal/libertarian perfection.

Hands down the best book that I have ever read; hopefully the trilogy can live up to the book, but I have my concerns...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gtg732w
The first third of the book was almost strictly character development for the latter portion, so while the first movie is almost guaranteed to be boring, the latter 2/3 of the book crescendos into a magnificent explosion of classically liberal/libertarian perfection.

Hands down the best book that I have ever read; hopefully the trilogy can live up to the book, but I have my concerns...

The culturally poor need some subsidies, maybe some free Bergman DVDs?

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as someone who leans libertarian I'd like to say this movies existence pisses me off to high heavens.

LOL DUDE my goal is to makes deh monies.

wtffffff

youngScholar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
What would really make this move perfect for me is if it draws protesters or boycotts.
It would be like the world's most overdone troll post . . . I can't help but wonder what they will do with Galt's speech.
uhoh.gif
EDIT: "If Ayn Rand were alive today, would she be a member of the Tea Party?" http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...nt-republicans

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I saw this yesterday and was actually quite impressed. I went in with pretty low expectations, but it is much better than a TV or direct to DVD movie.

As for the plot, yes, it's mostly character introduction, but they do a good job with the characters and they even do a good job at the beginning of the film to explain why the trains are plausible.

And sorry if this upsets the Rand fans, but I actually think this is one of those rare cases where a movie is a better way to present the story than the book. Rand had some interesting ideas, but as a writer who could actually develop characters or write dialogue she left a lot to be desired.

Overall I liked it and am looking forward to the next two films.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I saw this yesterday and was actually quite impressed. I went in with pretty low expectations, but it is much better than a TV or direct to DVD movie.

As for the plot, yes, it's mostly character introduction, but they do a good job with the characters and they even do a good job at the beginning of the film to explain why the trains are plausible.

And sorry if this upsets the Rand fans, but I actually think this is one of those rare cases where a movie is a better way to present the story than the book. Rand had some interesting ideas, but as a writer who could actually develop characters or write dialogue she left a lot to be desired.

It's going to take a lot of Tea Party money to finance the next two films. Production budget was $20 million. It grossed $3.096 million the first week in 299 theaters.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...asshrugged.htm

youngScholar

Reaction score
Did the dialogue seem repetitive or preachy?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reading about the production process put up all sorts of red flags for me, and the didacticism of the source material isn't likely to translate well to the screen in any case. If they've managed to make a movie that's watchable, they've far exceeded my expectations.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Thanks for the write up. I'm sure the fact you didn't hate it is upsetting some folks now.

gtg732w

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pstoller
And how many other books he's read?

I'm 25, why do you ask?

As for the other books, obviously too many to list explicitly, but everything from Paradise Lost to Slaughterhouse Five. I'm stuck on a lot of planes, so I've been re-reading a lot of things I was too young to appreciate as a kid.

Right now I've been working through the works of Bret Easton Ellis; I've finished Rules of Attraction and just started American Psycho.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
No Part 2 or 3 Because of Poor Reviews

If critics had this much influence on box office numbers, the modern day horror genre would not exist.

facepalm.gif
Dude totally misses the joke when the producer says he's going on strike.

It's such a cop-out for Aglioloro to point the finger at the critics, instead of looking at what he created and asking the hard questions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads