• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambrosi Napoli

quar

Reaction score
@#$% guys, it's a shirt probably made from some fine 140s poplin. It's not going to drape like a heavy flannel jacket. A photograph of a real-world shirt worn in a certain posture isn't going to look like a shot straight out of GQ.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fine fabrics highlight fit problems, no doubt about it. But those pull lines are not random. This is right out of shirt fitting 101, probably the most common fit problem you see with shirts. Often it's just one shoulder (usually the right).

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by quar
@#$% guys, it's a shirt probably made from some fine 140s poplin. It's not going to drape like a heavy flannel jacket. A photograph of a real-world shirt worn in a certain posture isn't going to look like a shot straight out of GQ.
I agree that the shirt looks fine, but Kabbaz made a huge point in his youtube videos that getting rid of that chest/shoulder wrinkle is something that only the most elite bespoke shirtmakers can accomplish. The loose cuffs thing is a separate issue and something that I would think any bespoke shirtmaker would take care of (assuming it is actually an issue and not a camera trick).

quar

Reaction score
I love how a real-world photograph of a AK shirt can completely re-derail, an already well derailed thread. Almost makes me feel bad by starting it all be asking Manton who made it (with my suspicion of AK in mind).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
I don't see anything about you being Asian, short (I took care to note it was a figurative term), or low/middle/upper class in the post above. I said you were arrogant and by calling you a joke I guess I implied that you are deluded about your own importance. Those are conditions that have no relation to race, creed or color. For you to continually state otherwise may say something about your own insecurities, but those issues aren't mine. Your need to revert to your superior vocabulary, complaints about big words, etc., when nothing of the sort was ever mentioned, just adds fuel to that fire.

You'll recall that I looked in on this thread because I had planned to get some Ambrosi pants. If you think I came here to attack you that's your own inflated sense of self importance rearing it's head. I did get involved in a fight that wasn't primarily mine, so I'll go ahead and take the blame for that.

In any event Manton's decision to post actual info plus Ambrosi's little bombshell have taken the fight out of me. I guess we'll never decide whether you are an arrogant, condescending, overly self important prick or I'm a class-obsessed, raving, mentally unbalanced lunatic. Maybe someone will take a poll, though I can't imagine anyone, including me, really caring one way or the other.

As an aside, I'm now leaning back toward ordering for some reason ....

You can backtrack all you like, but there is no framework that would make any sense of this lunatic post that isn't built on class insecurity and ugly racial prejudice.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
The first few pages of this thread were just awesome. SF is BACK, my babies.

Going in reverse order:

1. Kabbaz's shirt does not look great. But Manton, your photography is abysmal and that might have something to do with it. Let me also say, on a completely unrelated note, that I really can't stand Kabbaz the person (though I suppose his being completely insufferable is what brought me to SF and away from AAAC for good, so maybe I should thank him).

2. Re: the whole NYR-Foo thing -
NYR chose to pontificate on that which he does not have the data/experience to pontificate and, at the same time, threw out a few truisms (redundant) because saying stuff like that probably makes his students think he's smart.

Foo attacked him on both counts, and rightfully so. And no, it wasn't a class thing. Foo mocked him with the "I'd still be cool with it" comment because NYR is really pretty crass in many of his posts, especially the one to which Foo was replying. If NYR can't write without profanity, slang, and colloquialisms, I don't think there's a problem with Foo pointing it out.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
You can backtrack all you like, but there is no framework that would make any sense of this lunatic post that isn't built on ugly racial assumptions.
I think he was referring to your "And yes, to speak in your parlance, I was "cool with it."" line, which was a little twat-like for a guy with a pretty ordinary education, job, age, background, etc (the "your parlance" part I mean). But it was overall a minor offense/slip-up that should not have escalated into that back-and-forth.
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Foo attacked him on both counts, and rightfully so. And no, it wasn't a class thing. Foo mocked him with the "I'd still be cool with it" comment because NYR is really pretty crass in many of his posts, especially the one to which Foo was replying. If NYR can't write without profanity, slang, and colloquialisms, I don't think there's a problem with Foo pointing it out.
I don't know if he's crass or anything, but it's irritating when NYR (and certain others like Edmorel) imply that it's arrogant, snotty, or classist to expect a certain standard of service from sellers. Similar issues came up in a thread about CEGO a while back.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Here are some pics.

First, these are Ercole:

aYzOm.jpg

Manton, those trousers look really nice on you. Ercole's did a great job.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I find amusing the # of posters who imagine a bespoke shirt should be without any wrinkles whatsoever.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
wtf, manton looks great. people need to get off his dick...

Manton looks great and the shirt does actually fit well.
That collar looks like it's from Nordstrom, though.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
I am always shocked to see how quickly people leap to diagnosing a problem with a clothing item from a single static picture which might not account for any number of factors.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://books.google.com/books?id=9H0...op)%22&f=false

The book's $13. Coffin's probably wrong as often as he's right, but he's got it there.

What I don't understand is how someone could spend so much money on shirts, and yet react with such hostility to critical examinations of fine shirts. Is it just enough for you to know that the shirt was expensive?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett

2. Re: the whole NYR-Foo thing -
NYR chose to pontificate on that which he does not have the data/experience to pontificate and, at the same time, threw out a few truisms (redundant) because saying stuff like that probably makes his students think he's smart.

So I do not have the data or experience to speak about an issue but Matt does? Because he goes to a more expensive tailor? What world do you live in that you saw my challenge of Matt's assertion as crass. If you had half a brain you'd realize that both of us are right and wrong. He's never experienced Ercole, and I've never experienced Ambrosi. You must be fun to hang out with. The bolded part was just highlighted because it was a dick comment, and totally unneeded. Sorry if that was too crass for you.

Originally Posted by sellahi22
I don't know if he's crass or anything, but it's irritating when NYR (and certain others like Edmorel) imply that it's arrogant, snotty, or classist to expect a certain standard of service from sellers. Similar issues came up in a thread about CEGO a while back.

Is there a different thread that I'm missing here? I never said to give Sal a break re: wait times for his pants. If these guys paid, and were promised a product by a certain time, they should have it, or get their money back, or both. My only real argument was that Matt said that Ambrosi is the only pant maker with as much handwork. What particularly irked me about this comment was that he scoffed at me when I told him Ercoles jackets were almost entirely done by hand. He suggested that it was impossible as his Rubinacci's don't have that much hand stitching and they are 5K a sportcoat.

What gets me is that we're basically arguing a moot point, as Matt pointed out, its just a matter of appreciating the craftsmanship. But everyone needs to take sides right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads