• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

toslat

Reaction score
What is the best source (online or B&M in US) for Isaia suits in staple colors (navy, charcoal etc)?

willgro

Reaction score
I am considering buying a Hart Schaffner Marx suit, but it is black. All black. Is black an ok color for a suit, solid black with no pinstripe, etc? Thanks

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willgro
I am considering buying a Hart Schaffner Marx suit, but it is black. All black. Is black an ok color for a suit, solid black with no pinstripe, etc? Thanks

Most believe that black suits can only be used for weddings, funerals, and Russian mobs. For solid, use other colors such as charcoal, grey, navy.

willgro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Most believe that black suits can only be used for weddings, funerals, and Russian mobs. For solid, use other colors such as charcoal, grey, navy.

I would but the other colors are not available. black is the only one available. so do i get it or not, $200 all in, but i would like to wear it to meetings w/ clients, but i don't want to have the russian mob look. so mabye not.

NiceDressShoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Tuck your shirt in.

They're worth what somebody will pay for them. They won't gain shitloads of value, they're not a collector's item. The people buying are buying to wear them.

Also, I doubt your assessment that they're brand new, if you're basing it off the wooden pieces in there. Those are not just things they had coming from the factory, they are called "shoe trees" and should be put back into the shoe after every wear to preserve the shape of the upper.

Really, just wear them. They're your size, that's why they were given to you. And they're nice shoes. Used shoes won't kill ya.

I hate to have to do this as it's somewhat childish, but your reply/post bothers me...and it's not so much the post, but the words/thoughts/personality behind it.....as I would bet that most people ususally just don't say anything to you when you be-little them or their question/comment....so until people put you in your place, and teach you like I'm about to, you'll keep doing it.

REALLY, you doubt my assessment that they're brand new. Dude, you didn't even "read" my post. I am actually not a child, so without knowing me, please don't talk to me like one. I know you have posted almost 2,000 times in about a year, but no matter what you think or what others tell you or, all those posts don't make you "the man". And, I was actually told by an old-school local shoemaker that they ARE collectible as for "rare skin" shoe lovers, sharkskin is one of the toughest materials to find shoes in...and that AE also doesn't make them anymore (I was told for the true shoe aficionado, sharkskin TOPS gator or snake). He already has people that would be interested in buying them, hence, why I came onto this site looking for a little help before I go in and sell them.

You say wear them as that's why they were given to me...but again you don't know me yet you make assumptions...I got my pick of whatever I wanted and took them b/c I thought they might be worth something. I have no desire to wear them as I think that are ugly and I am not too much of a "metro" guy. Unlike other's (and you sound like one of these)...I don't wear ugly stuff just b/c it's expensive or b/c the "star's in hollywood" are wearing it.

The only thing I agree with you is that "used shoes won't kill ya"....true. But, with never worn vintage AE sharkskin shoes that I will never wear...selling them for cash won't kill me either.

Second, sorry I was at a loss for words/thought when thinking of "shoe trees"...didn't know such high fashionistas had to be so exact. But I was NOT mentioning the "shoe trees" b/c I thought that's what made the actual shoes new...I mentioned them in reference to "the shoes are so un-used" that they still have the original shoe trees in them that AE put in after they made them, custom made to fit his foot. Again, being an adult, I know what the purpose of shoe trees are you db.

Other than that....I KNOW they are brand new as there are no scuff marks, not even a scratch anywhere (on the sides/top/back/bottom, and not even one single scratch on the sole....so unless my grandfather was only wearing them w/o shoelaces on all carpet surfaces or if he walked on clouds before he died, the are brand new), no wear marks at all anywhere, they're not even laced up. I was told by the same shoemaker that sometimes shoe trees which are THAT old and in THAT good condition could also be worth some money.

So to you CPTJEFF and you parent's cat (well, you can call it your cat as long as you continue to live in your parent's basement)...thanks for nothing...but I hope that your reply-talk-down-post made you feel better about yourself. I sure hope that at 45, or whatever age in mid-life you are, that the 1 nice Versace outfit you own and wear out EVERY time you go out looking for women that are half your age, doesn't wear out and actully gets you a chick (at least until she experiences your personality, as the Versace might get you in the door initially, but then as you know time and time again, it stops about there). As it only took me 1 post from you about shoes on the internet to see what type of person you are.

Lesson over.

To the others who posted, thanks....and to any others who might see this and post a reply to my original post questioning cost/price, thanks in advance.

didaskalia

Reaction score
Can anyone post reading material/web links I should start with if I am interested in starting a bespoke business?

Thanks

JohnEnglish

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions for a nice rain coat? I'll be wearing it with a suit to work. I'd prefer a rain coat to a trench coat as all the trench coats I've come acorss are very bulky looking and I'd prefer something "sleeker".

I was looking at some Hugo Boss (as they have a more fitted cut) raincoats the other day but they seem to out of my size for the season (EU 54).

I'm located in Canada and would prefer to shop in a physical store at sizes widly vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

amstokesdb9

Reaction score
Does a shoe width not convert evenly between US and UK sizing? In other words, does a UK sized shoe with an E width convert to and American D? Sorry if this a an ignorant question.

officeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NiceDressShoes
I hate to have to do this as it's somewhat childish, but your reply/post bothers me...and it's not so much the post, but the words/thoughts/personality behind it.....as I would bet that most people ususally just don't say anything to you when you be-little them or their question/comment....so until people put you in your place, and teach you like I'm about to, you'll keep doing it.

REALLY, you doubt my assessment that they're brand new. Dude, you didn't even "read" my post. I am actually not a child, so without knowing me, please don't talk to me like one. I know you have posted almost 2,000 times in about a year, but no matter what you think or what others tell you or, all those posts don't make you "the man". And, I was actually told by an old-school local shoemaker that they ARE collectible as for "rare skin" shoe lovers, sharkskin is one of the toughest materials to find shoes in...and that AE also doesn't make them anymore (I was told for the true shoe aficionado, sharkskin TOPS gator or snake). He already has people that would be interested in buying them, hence, why I came onto this site looking for a little help before I go in and sell them.

You say wear them as that's why they were given to me...but again you don't know me yet you make assumptions...I got my pick of whatever I wanted and took them b/c I thought they might be worth something. I have no desire to wear them as I think that are ugly and I am not too much of a "metro" guy. Unlike other's (and you sound like one of these)...I don't wear ugly stuff just b/c it's expensive or b/c the "star's in hollywood" are wearing it.

The only thing I agree with you is that "used shoes won't kill ya"....true. But, with never worn vintage AE sharkskin shoes that I will never wear...selling them for cash won't kill me either.

Second, sorry I was at a loss for words/thought when thinking of "shoe trees"...didn't know such high fashionistas had to be so exact. But I was NOT mentioning the "shoe trees" b/c I thought that's what made the actual shoes new...I mentioned them in reference to "the shoes are so un-used" that they still have the original shoe trees in them that AE put in after they made them, custom made to fit his foot. Again, being an adult, I know what the purpose of shoe trees are you db.

Other than that....I KNOW they are brand new as there are no scuff marks, not even a scratch anywhere (on the sides/top/back/bottom, and not even one single scratch on the sole....so unless my grandfather was only wearing them w/o shoelaces on all carpet surfaces or if he walked on clouds before he died, the are brand new), no wear marks at all anywhere, they're not even laced up. I was told by the same shoemaker that sometimes shoe trees which are THAT old and in THAT good condition could also be worth some money.

So to you CPTJEFF and you parent's cat (well, you can call it your cat as long as you continue to live in your parent's basement)...thanks for nothing...but I hope that your reply-talk-down-post made you feel better about yourself. I sure hope that at 45, or whatever age in mid-life you are, that the 1 nice Versace outfit you own and wear out EVERY time you go out looking for women that are half your age, doesn't wear out and actully gets you a chick (at least until she experiences your personality, as the Versace might get you in the door initially, but then as you know time and time again, it stops about there). As it only took me 1 post from you about shoes on the internet to see what type of person you are.

Lesson over.

To the others who posted, thanks....and to any others who might see this and post a reply to my original post questioning cost/price, thanks in advance.

boxing[1].gif
pow!

This fancy shoe stuff is way out of my league but I'll bet this shoe haul deserves it's own thread and lots of pictures. You will attract the right people who can give you price ranges and levels of desirability.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by didaskalia
Can anyone post reading material/web links I should start with if I am interested in starting a bespoke business?

Thanks

are you a skilled tailor?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NiceDressShoes

Shoe trees last and are used for decades. Their presence means absolutely nothing in regards to the age or newness of the shoe. And they would be custom to the last the shoe was made on, not your grandfather's foot, as, unless I'm sorely mistaken, Allen Edmonds has never done bespoke.

Based on that alone, I could tell you don't know much about dress shoes. Rather normal in this day and age, but don't be an ass and belittle those who do have some idea. Your posts still read like you think people remove the shoe trees and throw them away when they first wear the shoes. Such a basic (for this board, anyway) lack of knowledge made me doubt just about everything else you said about the shoes.

As for the rest of your post, it's stupid beyond words, and does not deserve comment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads