• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by netovargas90
What is this guy's name?
Does anyone have more pictures of him?

290parisd2octwt10wp.jpg

I know his last name is Cortina. Should be plenty for google.

KVH

Reaction score
Allen-Edmonds McAllister is on sale for $249 on the AE site. Are they good for job interviews or too dressy?

either/or

Reaction score
btw digme, I've only seen round shoelaces during my time here - so some sort of aesthetics do seem to apply
wink.gif

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amstokesdb9
Does a shoe width not convert evenly between US and UK sizing? In other words, does a UK sized shoe with an E width convert to and American D? Sorry if this a an ignorant question.
Amstokes, it's not an ignorant question, being asked all the time as it relates to specific shoes/boots, as the size varies depending on the materials used (leather, suede, exotic, etc.) and the last upon which they're made. Then, there's actual fit for any given foot--i.e., your arch etc. Lasts are made with the "average" foot in mind, which doesn't necessarily include everyone [and reason why many members once they go bespoke (have a shoe lasted especially for their specific foot) never go back to ready-to-wear, but of course it's $$$$ .... ]. That said, for those of us who do fit in the manufacturer's idea of "average" foot (which of course be the majority, others able to tailor-fit with insoles, etc. if required), the general rule when it comes to sizing b/w UK and US/Canadian standard sizing is as follows: A UK 8 is a US 9 (i.e., drop down one-whole size, depending on the materials, etc.). In the UK, a standard US "D" equates to a UK "F" (a 6 Fitting in the old UK system, still used by Tricker's). A UK E fitting is a narrower fitting, equating more like a US/CDN C (being a snug, tight dress fit for the average male, a fitting 5 under the old system, and a comfort/relaxed fit for a woman whose ordinary/average foot is a US/CDN B width). Now, many men can squeeze into a UK E [assuming a narrow foot, unless a very tight fit is desired, but that's not very comfortable for most if you plan on wearing them for any length of time, and reason why most men go up a half-size to accommodate the difference b/w an E (narrow) and F (standard) fit]. For e.g., and once again generally speaking, a UK 8.5 E in a Crockett Jones, being a similar fit to say an Alfred Sargent 8 F or a standard US 9 D, would be a Tricker's 8, Fitting 6. This of course, is very general b/c it does depend on the actual last and materials, as said, but it's a good rule for comparative purposes (and reason why most online stores in the UK allow customers to try on and return shoes/boots if they don't fit right, provided they're returned in the same condition in which they were sent--i.e., tried on in a carpeted area so as to not mark the soles, etc.). To recap: Average Width and comparison, using a US 7 D as an e.g., which is an EU 39.5/40. UK 6 F is standard; a UK 6 E is more like a US 6.5 D (an EU 39), and a relaxed fit for a woman whose ankles generally speaking aren't as wide as are a man's. A UK E equates to a C width, which is narrow/tight on a man who, for a standard fit, would go up a half-size to UK 6.5 E, to accommodate the difference, should a narrow/tight fit not be doable, nor desired. Same is true if a wider fit to accommodate a wider foot is desired--as in, say, a US/CDN 7 E (wide)--i.e., can go up a half size (as in, a UK 6.5 F) or, alternatively, go up in width, as in a UK 6 G (which equates to a US 7.5 D, or a 7 E). Remember, suede and calf leather when warm will give, as will kangaroo. Other materials are not quite so generous, nor are whole cuts (like RM Williams boots, for e.g., which are made from a single piece of leather as opposed to different pieces stitched together). In turn, if considering a pair of shoes/boots from the UK, you might request the actual measurements of the boot/shoe you're interested in from the seller, so as to have a better idea. Also, it's very likely depending on what you are interested in that others here have discussed that shoe/boot in depth, such that it's always worthwhile doing a search here first to see if what you're looking for has been discussed before (it probably has, and if not, can put the question out there since someone here somewhere is likely to have experience with it which if asked they'd love to share). Cheers!

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
How/when/where/why does one wear chocolate brown suede tassel loafers? Was recently awestruck by a beautiful pair of Ralph Lauren Purple Label shoes.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know this has been discused before, and i did search but most of the results was a few years old, and i want to make sure things are the same. so,

im looking to buy my first pair of C&J's most likely the edgware. i usually wear size 12 US, but the last shoes i got were zegna and they were size 10 1/2 i assume eurpoean, maybe UK?

any idea what UK size will most likely fit me best? i have to buy online, no retail stores near me that carry them.

thanks in advance

Booter

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with their tailor ADDING surgeon's cuffs to a jacket that currently has NO button holes whatsoever (on the sleeve)?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Booter
Does anyone have experience with their tailor ADDING surgeon's cuffs to a jacket that currently has NO button holes whatsoever (on the sleeve)?

most jacket sleeves that can be made as surgeons cuffs dont come with button holes, that way the tailor can adjust the lenghth first. it all depends on the tailor. some are better than others. make sure you know from reliable sources that the tailor can do this job, and do it well

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
i know this has been discused before, and i did search but most of the results was a few years old, and i want to make sure things are the same. so, im looking to buy my first pair of C&J's most likely the edgware. i usually wear size 12 US, but the last shoes i got were zegna and they were size 10 1/2 i assume eurpoean, maybe UK? any idea what UK size will most likely fit me best? i have to buy online, no retail stores near me that carry them. thanks in advance
Edgware is on the 348, so full size down. If you're a true US 12D, you will need UK 11E. Italian shoes often use odd sizing system (not EU, US, or UK), I bought a pair of Barrett in size 8, but fit huge, at least 9.5 or 10. However, I have not seen this on Zegnas, my Zegnas fit only a half size larger.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ thanks man, youre always a big help.
smile.gif

Booter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
most jacket sleeves that can be made as surgeons cuffs dont come with button holes, that way the tailor can adjust the lenghth first. it all depends on the tailor. some are better than others. make sure you know from reliable sources that the tailor can do this job, and do it well
It's an OTR suit but I'm looking to spruce up the detail. Sleeve length is good. $10/buttonhole sound reasonable (4 x 2 x $10 = $80 total)?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Booter
It's an OTR suit but I'm looking to spruce up the detail. Sleeve length is good.

$10/buttonhole sound reasonable (4 x 2 x $10 = $80 total)?

is the sleeve open (meaning made for surgeons cuffs) or closed?

$10 sounds fine to me, i think nordstrom charges about that

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads