Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Wearing a black tux with white shirt, patent pumps. Do I have to wear black socks, or can I get away with red hose?

Go for it.

2. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Are there any brands that make a nice pair of selvedge jeans with a higher rise?

Albam Regular. No experience.

[​IMG]

3. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Are there any brands that make a nice pair of selvedge jeans with a higher rise?
    Roy and LVC, RRL straight fit Posted via Tapatalk

4. senseofsurreal

senseofsurreal New Member

5. hntjohnson

hntjohnson Member

Style Check

Nantucket Reds with Navy Indochino Blazer, blue oxford, and bow tie with Sperrys. Would this be ok for an afternoon Birthday party?

6. KendallAndKendall

KendallAndKendall Senior member

[​IMG] Thoughts on this shirt? It's a Brooks Brother Black Fleece navy, white, & red plaid tuxedo-style oxford (pleated). I was thinking the shirt would go nice with a cotton navy jacket with a navy and red medium striped tie, a pair of dark khakis, and some white suede oxfords, sockless. Or possibly a red bow tie. I am trying the best I can to wear the shirt casually. I realize it is a pleated front, and does have French cuff sleeves, but I'm not much of a suit kind of guy. Could this shirt work in such a casually outfit? Thoughts on the shirt itself, and the outfit please and thank you. EDIT: After reading this, I now have a slight fear that I may look like Uncle Sam while wearing this outfit. I love my country, but I would also love to avoid looking like an entertainer at a 4th of July party.

7. acecow

acecow Senior member

[​IMG] Thoughts on this shirt? It's a Brooks Brother Black Fleece navy, white, & red plaid tuxedo-style oxford (pleated). I was thinking the shirt would go nice with a cotton navy jacket with a navy and red medium striped tie, a pair of dark khakis, and some white suede oxfords, sockless. Or possibly a red bow tie. I am trying the best I can to wear the shirt casually. I realize it is a pleated front, and does have French cuff sleeves, but I'm not much of a suit kind of guy. Could this shirt work in such a casually outfit? Thoughts on the shirt itself, and the outfit please and thank you. EDIT: After reading this, I now have a slight fear that I may look like Uncle Sam while wearing this outfit. I love my country, but I would also love to avoid looking like an entertainer at a 4th of July party.
    I don't think it's a good idea. [​IMG] -------- Bought these shoes for $60 shipped. What do you guys think of them? Should I cancel my order before it's too late?

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

http://i.ebayimg.com/03/!B21duyQCWk~$(KGrHqYOKiIE)V7hWnCPBMkBnUveGw~~0_3.JPG[/IMG

Thoughts on this shirt? It's a Brooks Brother Black Fleece navy, white, & red plaid tuxedo-style oxford (pleated). I was thinking the shirt would go nice with a cotton navy jacket with a navy and red medium striped tie, a pair of dark khakis, and some white suede oxfords, sockless. Or possibly a red bow tie.

I am trying the best I can to wear the shirt casually. I realize it is a pleated front, and does have French cuff sleeves, but I'm not much of a suit kind of guy. Could this shirt work in such a casually outfit?

Thoughts on the shirt itself, and the outfit please and thank you.

EDIT:
    After reading this, I now have a slight fear that I may look like Uncle Sam while wearing this outfit. I love my country, but I would also love to avoid looking like an entertainer at a 4th of July party.[/I]

That's about the worst shirt I've ever seen. A very casual fabric and collar, with french cuffs and a pleated tuxedo shirt front.

The designer was high. Return it. It's not a sport shirt, and it's not suitable for any sort of dressy occasion. I'm actually quite surprised that Brooks put their name on such an abomination.

9. KendallAndKendall

KendallAndKendall Senior member

That's about the worst shirt I've ever seen. A very casual fabric and collar, with french cuffs and a pleated tuxedo shirt front. The designer was high. Return it. It's not a sport shirt, and it's not suitable for any sort of dressy occasion. I'm actually quite surprised that Brooks put their name on such an abomination.
    I've seen the pleated tuxedo front oxford in quite a few stores recently. RRL, Polo, as well as Rugby. (3-4 different oxford/tuxedo shirts at rugby). Maybe hit up a local Ralph Lauren store, because it's really not THAT abnormal. Is that the only factor that makes this shirt so god-awful to you? (the fact that they put formal features on a casual shirt) Or is it the pattern as well? Please elaborate. Obviously, after reading your response, I am a bit hesitant to wear the shirt at all. Thanks

10. acecow

acecow Senior member

I've seen the pleated tuxedo front oxford in quite a few stores recently. RRL, Polo, as well as Rugby. (3-4 different oxford/tuxedo shirts at rugby). Maybe hit up a local Ralph Lauren store, because it's really not THAT abnormal.

Is that the only factor that makes this shirt so god-awful to you? Or is it the pattern as well? Please elaborate. Obviously, after reading your response, I am a bit hesitant to wear the shirt at all.

Thanks

It's the combination of different styles that don't go well together. It's similar to wearing tennis shoes with a 3-piece suit.

11. thecheat

thecheat Member

I could use some help finding some nice dress pants to wear, that I would be wearing without a suit jacket, but I'll be hard-pressed to spend more than $75.

Any help? I'd prefer that they are slim fitting. Thanks.

12. acecow

acecow Senior member

I could use some help finding some nice dress pants to wear, that I would be wearing without a suit jacket, but I'll be hard-pressed to spend more than $75.

H&M or Zara: knock yourself out.

13. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

I got a nice pair of slacks in kinda a rich gray (very cool in hue) from the gap recently that would fit the bill.

14. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

Can someone please suggest a lightweight spring/fall coat that's appropriate for work?

I don't want something as dressy as a sportcoat/blazer.

I was looking at Harrington jackets, but wasn't a big fan of the neck-flap. Plus they felt a little old-man-ish. Also don't want anything too aggressive looking.

What would be a good simple alternative? I typically wear gray slacks so probably something like navy/charcoal/etc.

15. BrianSFL

BrianSFL Member