• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Momotaro

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to chime in that my 0705SPs (I feel) are quite flattering, despite them being the "tight straight" model. I think that's the most appropriate description for them, not really crossing the line into a "skinny jean" but being appropriately both tight and straight. Despite them being the slimmest jean I'll wear in good conscience, I don't for a moment feel uncomfortable or awkward in them (as opposed actually to my PBJ007s, a "slim-straight" where sometimes something feels just off, be it the rise, thigh, whatever).

I do love the understatedness of the design. They are just "basic jeans" as far as aesthetic goes, as in looking fairly normal (and I'll agree durable). But conversely, I think it's those small details like the white/pink selvage line, the pink seam stitch on the interior of the leg, the pockets that are just between medium sized and large, and yes, the rep, that make them quite a product. (I do really love my battle stripes too).

Online, looking at them on BiG months ago, I had absolutely no desire to buy a pair cold - I was drawn to the slub of PBJ denim as my first step into big-time Japanese offerings. But, I picked up my pair of Momos off B&S for about half retail, and I LOVE them. For future purchases, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to throw down for a full priced pair now. They are a genuinely quality product, and I appreciate their artisanal quality.

(Edit) - forgot to add: I appreciate too that their sizing is so exact. Like was said earlier, a 34 won't fit unless you're an actual 34. Refreshing in the retail world, even if it means going up a digit on your size.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vaudevillian
let's say they are not shape-hugging or shape-flattering, they are just normal, quite shapeless jeans, yet made with excellent materials ;-)

Sounds like you either: a) did not size correctly on your denim, or b) just don't care for the cut you purchased.

Momotaro does offer a variety of cuts and when the Japan Blue x Momotaro models hit there will be even more, especially on the slimmer side. Japan Blue x Momotaro will have a "skinny straight" fit which is more of a slim tapered version of the "tight straight" fit, this might be the cut you really want.

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
I appreciate too that their sizing is so exact. Like was said earlier, a 34 won't fit unless you're an actual 34. Refreshing in the retail world, even if it means going up a digit on your size.

Would be lovely if it was this way, but I can rectify this information on behalf of my own experience, not all Momotaro's run true to tagged. The Copper Labels I have for instance, are one wash and measurements are 1 inch up to what tag says.

This I found out, by measuring them and looking up the sizecharts on the Momotaro website (for instance, compare the 0705SP (which is one wash) with measuruments for the Copper Label G007-MB).

dougie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
I have to chime in that my 0705SPs (I feel) are quite flattering, despite them being the "tight straight" model. I think that's the most appropriate description for them, not really crossing the line into a "skinny jean" but being appropriately both tight and straight. Despite them being the slimmest jean I'll wear in good conscience, I don't for a moment feel uncomfortable or awkward in them (as opposed actually to my PBJ007s, a "slim-straight" where sometimes something feels just off, be it the rise, thigh, whatever).

I do love the understatedness of the design. They are just "basic jeans" as far as aesthetic goes, as in looking fairly normal (and I'll agree durable). But conversely, I think it's those small details like the white/pink selvage line, the pink seam stitch on the interior of the leg, the pockets that are just between medium sized and large, and yes, the rep, that make them quite a product. (I do really love my battle stripes too).

Online, looking at them on BiG months ago, I had absolutely no desire to buy a pair cold - I was drawn to the slub of PBJ denim as my first step into big-time Japanese offerings. But, I picked up my pair of Momos off B&S for about half retail, and I LOVE them. For future purchases, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to throw down for a full priced pair now. They are a genuinely quality product, and I appreciate their artisanal quality.

(Edit) - forgot to add: I appreciate too that their sizing is so exact. Like was said earlier, a 34 won't fit unless you're an actual 34. Refreshing in the retail world, even if it means going up a digit on your size.

I just picked up a pair of 705SPs as well and I agree with everything here. Sized correctly, this is a really good cut. I wasn't wild about the battle stripes at first but there's something kind of cool about them and they do a lot to distinguish what's otherwise a really subtle pair of jeans.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mistral
Would be lovely if it was this way, but I can rectify this information on behalf of my own experience, not all Momotaro's run true to tagged. The Copper Labels I have for instance, are one wash and measurements are 1 inch up to what tag says.

This I found out, by measuring them and looking up the sizecharts on the Momotaro website (for instance, compare the 0705SP (which is one wash) with measuruments for the Copper Label G007-MB).

Didn't even know about "Copper Labels"'s existence. Will have to check that out.

Vaudevillian

Reaction score
mmm, looks like the comment on design really struck a chord :)

First of all, I was in no way disappointed. I have plenty of jeans and sometimes a non-skinny one will come in handy :) As most people here, I buy clothes almost with a collector's spirit, not because I need more of them.

Having said this, I still think their models have a relaxed conception of what slim/skinny stands for and I have yet to see something that will convince me otherwise. This is not to say they don't have slim cuts...only they are not as slim as what other brands would deem appropriate.

As for the design itself, yes I know about the copper thread that will turn pink with time, the mantra-like inner label and all those details that will appeal to the fetishist but talking about overall design, i.e., how the product will enhance/flatter your shape, this is nothing special. But at the end of the day it all plays in line with their ethos, this is not 'fashion' in the traditional sense.

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^lol you are stoking more fire. all momo owners are raging now
biggrin.gif

mikecch

Reaction score
Having said this, I still think their models have a relaxed conception of what slim/skinny stands for and I have yet to see something that will convince me otherwise. This is not to say they don't have slim cuts...only they are not as slim as what other brands would deem appropriate.

Well, they are a vintage-denim inspired company, and not a street wear brand making denim for kids and ninjas.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mmm, looks like the comment on design really struck a chord :)

First of all, I was in no way disappointed. I have plenty of jeans and sometimes a non-skinny one will come in handy :) As most people here, I buy clothes almost with a collector's spirit, not because I need more of them.

As for the design itself, yes I know about the copper thread that will turn pink with time, the mantra-like inner label and all those details that will appeal to the fetishist but talking about overall design, i.e., how the product will enhance/flatter your shape, this is nothing special. But at the end of the day it all plays in line with their ethos, this is not 'fashion' in the traditional sense.

What I bolded above could be said for almost any Japanese denim brand. That is just how the Japanese like their jean cuts.

If you want a skinny jean, get Diors or APCs. People who buy Japanese denim do so for the construction and denim quality, not for skinny fits.

Vaudevillian

Reaction score
guys, I have nothing against Momotaro having a more relaxed fit, I merely pointed out the fact and then went on to say that I'm perfectly ok with it. (at the end of the day I like to experiment with different silhouettes myself so there might be a Slimane day and a Momotaro one :).

It just seems some people were disagreeing with this basic observation :)

mikecch

Reaction score
^ Inane observation - I think most of us figured this out in 2005.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
But jokes aside, there are a lots of brands (far more, perhaps, than the artisan Japanese makes) which cater for people who want skinnier cuts. Picking on Momo specifically for this seems a little pointless.

lxlfeng

Reaction score
Planning on getting the Momotaro + Context Grand Indigo Selvage 0701MCXX.

Should i size up or stick to true to size?

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lxlfeng
Planning on getting the Momotaro + Context Grand Indigo Selvage 0701MCXX.

Should i size up or stick to true to size?

The MCXX is true to size. Initial cold soak, six months of occasional wear about twice a week and one cold wash, the waist has stretched by about 0.5 inches. As already mentioned by others, they are very slim.

standard.jpg
standard.jpg

standard.jpg
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mistral

You have Copper Labels?
ffffuuuu.gif

Got any pics?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads