• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your workhorse Spring/Summer cotton/linen sport jacket

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
If you don't like cream or khaki, get whichever of navy or tobacco suits your skintone best.

Not the best outfits I've ever put together, but the ones I found when quickly scanning my 2010 daily pics folder that best demonstrate the versatility of the jacket:

Fmli1.jpg

good syuff^^

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may have to do with the fabric. Mine is a heavy, Irish linen, off white flecks of color with lots of texture and a very matt, finish. It gives it a very different look than a typical cream linen. I think my next one might be more along the lines of this brown linen color:
BrownLinen.jpg
Originally Posted by Reevolving
PSGuy, I like your Luciano white linen jacket. Nice accessorizing as well. Not sure why it gives off a different vibe than Holdfast's. May well just be a close-up vs full body shot. Anyone know of some links to buy something like that?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
It may have to do with the fabric. Mine is a heavy, Irish linen, off white flecks of color with lots of texture and a very matt, finish. It gives it a very different look than a typical cream linen.
I think it's more the colour and construction rather than weave/weight/material that's different. Mine's also a moderately heavy Irish linen with texture from a Harrison's book. But yours appears (at least in the photos) to have more of a stoney-beige colour rather than the brighter (yellow-ier?) cream of my jacket. Both colours are versatile, I think, but obviously Reevolving's mileage may vary. Coincidentally enough, I just ordered an Irish linen suit from the same book in a stoney/beige sort of colour.

ctp120

Reaction score
Mine are, predictably, 1) navy linen (not pictured) and 2) light khaki linen, part of a suit (as pictured in spoiler tag) which I often break up.

DSC_0847-1.jpg

IMO, tailored clothing staples are tougher for Spring/Summer. S/S needs some wardrobe color (beyond just accessories), and to do this consistently well you need variety; there's no easy way around it. Because colorful clothing is also both more memorable and harder to work into as many outfit combos, it takes extra sportcoat options to avoid noticeable repetition. This obviously costs more, but such is life. On the flip side, for those of us who are going to buy a lot anyways, it makes spending more on clothing easier to justify
bigstar[1].gif

A few of the other S/S casual jackets that I work in less often to keep it fresh:

DSC_0843.jpg

DSC_0848-1.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stoney beige sounds nice. I like that you have 3 patch pockets on your jacket. That is always my favorite for linen. Will you go with full patches on the suit?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CTP120...I really like that coral colored jacket.That is a great shade. I bet it is flattering with most complexions. That would be fun for spring/summer and more interesting than the solid light blue that so many of us own.

ctp120

Reaction score
psguy,

Thanks. It's actually one of my favorites too. My wife, however, says it makes me look like a college football booster.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The stoney beige sounds nice. I like that you have 3 patch pockets on your jacket. That is always my favorite for linen. Will you go with full patches on the suit?
3 patches is absolutely the way to go for an odd linen jacket. Any other choice just doesn't make sense to me. I don't intend wearing the new suit as separates though, so have ordered that with straight flap pockets instead. I wanted to keep some formality to it despite the casual fabric, so I can use it for work as well as just casually.
CTP120...I really like that coral colored jacket.That is a great shade. I bet it is flattering with most complexions. That would be fun for spring/summer and more interesting than the solid light blue that so many of us own.
+1 It's cool. I briefly considered getting a richly coloured lavender linen jacket for the same reason (I don't have a solid light blue, but have a blue/white seersucker odd jacket which fills the same wardrobe niche). Came to my senses in time, but who knows what the future holds...
smile.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ I've purchased things that my wife didn't like at first. After a few compliments from others or after the new look grew on her she started to like them.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also like the coral jacket. It can work if it's just right, or it can totally backfire.
I am not at that level of risk taking yet.

I think anything with texture is going to come off as less casual.
And, for a summer outfit, that's what I'm looking for (unless I am going to a semi-formal summer event, etc)

Does anyone think that Holdfast's cream jacket is too long? (by current SF fashion standards)

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
I also like the coral jacket. It can work if it's just right, or it can totally backfire.
I am not at that level of risk taking yet.

I think anything with texture is going to come off as less casual.
And, for a summer outfit, that's what I'm looking for (unless I am going to a semi-formal summer event, etc)

Does anyone think that Holdfast's cream jacket is too long? (by current SF fashion standards)

Holdfast is a very snappy dresser by any account. He has taken flack in the past for his jackets looking a bit big and long on him, and I concur with this. An inch or two adjusted in jacket length can take a jacket from try hard hipster through laid back casual to elegantly formal. HF leans to the latter, my choice would be somewhere in the middle.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I did go for a new linen or linen-like jacket in a cream I would go for this. Lotus Flower from Loro Piana. Beautiful fabric!

Rubinacci-Lotus-Flower-Loro-Piana-500x752.jpg

Rubinacci-Lotus-Flower-Loro-Piana1-500x752.jpg

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctp120
Mine are, predictably, 1) navy linen (not pictured) and 2) light khaki linen, part of a suit (as pictured in spoiler tag) which I often break up.

DSC_0847-1.jpg

IMO, tailored clothing staples are tougher for Spring/Summer. S/S needs some wardrobe color (beyond just accessories), and to do this consistently well you need variety; there's no easy way around it. Because colorful clothing is also both more memorable and harder to work into as many outfit combos, it takes extra sportcoat options to avoid noticeable repetition. This obviously costs more, but such is life. On the flip side, for those of us who are going to buy a lot anyways, it makes spending more on clothing easier to justify
bigstar[1].gif

A few of the other S/S casual jackets that I work in less often to keep it fresh:

DSC_0843.jpg

DSC_0848-1.jpg

Great jackets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads