Your workhorse Spring/Summer cotton/linen sport jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Apr 15, 2011.

1. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

I have an 80 dollar (at full MSRP) uniqlo navy linen jacket that I'm enjoying. Fit like it just got back from the tailors right off the rack. It has a little sheen to it though... I'm not sure why since it's 100% linen... glue from fusing maybe? Skotchguard?!!

2. mjphillips

mjphillips Senior member

I bought the J. Crew Ludlow linen jacket in tan/khaki last spring and wear it a ton. Get plenty of compliments and due to the price I don't worry about ruining it. Would prefer patch pockets though. Thinking about getting a similar one in navy...I really like the RL black label version but can't see how it's worth 5x as much. http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/we...5269/25269.jsp

3. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I have an 80 dollar (at full MSRP) uniqlo navy linen jacket that I'm enjoying. Fit like it just got back from the tailors right off the rack. It has a little sheen to it though... I'm not sure why since it's 100% linen... glue from fusing maybe? Skotchguard?!!

When did you buy that? I haven't seen a linen jacket in there, but it's been a month or so since I was over there.

5. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I am thinking about getting a linen suit made from this material from British Fabrics.
    Is 3 meters enough fabric for a 5'7, 165 lb man?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I know it's marked as 'suiting' but that's a jacketing pattern.

6. anxiouscowboy

anxiouscowboy Active Member

I've never considered buying fabric to be made into a jacket or suit. Is this common? Where can I find somone to do this serviceand how much would one expect to spend?

Also wanted to add, that I have a nice cotton blazer I got from uniqlo and when I was there yesterday they had a few linen jackets as well

7. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

I've never considered buying fabric to be made into a jacket or suit. Is this common? Where can I find somone to do this serviceand how much would one expect to spend?

Also wanted to add, that I have a nice cotton blazer I got from uniqlo and when I was there yesterday they had a few linen jackets as well

I use a low cost HK tailor who vists the US twice a year. On his recent visit he told me he is okay with making me items from cloth purchased elsewhere.
    Since that cloth is so cheap I thought what the heck, for a few dollars more I will have a trouser as well even though I may never wear it.

8. anxiouscowboy

anxiouscowboy Active Member

How much do you pay for the labor, and how much fabric would a 5'10 155 pound guy need? There has to be a low cost tailor in nyc, anyone? Sorry for the hijack!

9. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

+1

And a very bold one at that--matching pants could easily take that from a potentially cool, bold sportcoat to a full-blown train wreck. Consider the following example, spoilered so as not to sully the thread:

[​IMG]

10. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

I was thinking about this yesterday. I have a cotton/linen navy jacket with patch pockets. super light, and looks pretty good with about anything I wear. I find myself wearing it more than i care to admit lately.

11. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

+1

And a very bold one at that--matching pants could easily take that from a potentially cool, bold sportcoat to a full-blown train wreck. Consider the following example, spoilered so as not to sully the thread:

[​IMG]

Thanks guys, I will forgo the trouser and stick to having just a sportcoat made.

12. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

When did you buy that? I haven't seen a linen jacket in there, but it's been a month or so since I was over there.

last week

13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

last week

Hmmm... Interesting, thanks.

14. hikari013

hikari013 Senior member

I bought the J. Crew Ludlow linen jacket in tan/khaki last spring and wear it a ton. Get plenty of compliments and due to the price I don't worry about ruining it. Would prefer patch pockets though. Thinking about getting a similar one in navy...I really like the RL black label version but can't see how it's worth 5x as much. http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/we...5269/25269.jsp
    Any recommendations for a tan/khaki jacket similar to the J. Crew Ludlow price point but that is half-lined?

15. gwolf

gwolf Senior member

my beater is from marks and spencer. a 2b cream linen solid w/ patch pockets. i rarely wear it. not much need for a jacket in my area.