Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Your workhorse Spring/Summer cotton/linen sport jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Apr 15, 2011.

1. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

I have an 80 dollar (at full MSRP) uniqlo navy linen jacket that I'm enjoying. Fit like it just got back from the tailors right off the rack. It has a little sheen to it though... I'm not sure why since it's 100% linen... glue from fusing maybe? Skotchguard?!!

2. mjphillips

mjphillips Senior member

I bought the J. Crew Ludlow linen jacket in tan/khaki last spring and wear it a ton. Get plenty of compliments and due to the price I don't worry about ruining it. Would prefer patch pockets though. Thinking about getting a similar one in navy...I really like the RL black label version but can't see how it's worth 5x as much. http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/we...5269/25269.jsp

3. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I have an 80 dollar (at full MSRP) uniqlo navy linen jacket that I'm enjoying. Fit like it just got back from the tailors right off the rack. It has a little sheen to it though... I'm not sure why since it's 100% linen... glue from fusing maybe? Skotchguard?!!

When did you buy that? I haven't seen a linen jacket in there, but it's been a month or so since I was over there.

5. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I am thinking about getting a linen suit made from this material from British Fabrics.
    Is 3 meters enough fabric for a 5'7, 165 lb man?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I know it's marked as 'suiting' but that's a jacketing pattern.

6. anxiouscowboy

anxiouscowboy Active Member

I've never considered buying fabric to be made into a jacket or suit. Is this common? Where can I find somone to do this serviceand how much would one expect to spend?

Also wanted to add, that I have a nice cotton blazer I got from uniqlo and when I was there yesterday they had a few linen jackets as well

7. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

I've never considered buying fabric to be made into a jacket or suit. Is this common? Where can I find somone to do this serviceand how much would one expect to spend?

Also wanted to add, that I have a nice cotton blazer I got from uniqlo and when I was there yesterday they had a few linen jackets as well

I use a low cost HK tailor who vists the US twice a year. On his recent visit he told me he is okay with making me items from cloth purchased elsewhere.
    Since that cloth is so cheap I thought what the heck, for a few dollars more I will have a trouser as well even though I may never wear it.

8. anxiouscowboy

anxiouscowboy Active Member

How much do you pay for the labor, and how much fabric would a 5'10 155 pound guy need? There has to be a low cost tailor in nyc, anyone? Sorry for the hijack!

9. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

+1

And a very bold one at that--matching pants could easily take that from a potentially cool, bold sportcoat to a full-blown train wreck. Consider the following example, spoilered so as not to sully the thread:

[​IMG]

10. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

I was thinking about this yesterday. I have a cotton/linen navy jacket with patch pockets. super light, and looks pretty good with about anything I wear. I find myself wearing it more than i care to admit lately.

11. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

+1

And a very bold one at that--matching pants could easily take that from a potentially cool, bold sportcoat to a full-blown train wreck. Consider the following example, spoilered so as not to sully the thread:

[​IMG]

Thanks guys, I will forgo the trouser and stick to having just a sportcoat made.

12. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

When did you buy that? I haven't seen a linen jacket in there, but it's been a month or so since I was over there.

last week

13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

last week

Hmmm... Interesting, thanks.

14. hikari013

hikari013 Senior member

I bought the J. Crew Ludlow linen jacket in tan/khaki last spring and wear it a ton. Get plenty of compliments and due to the price I don't worry about ruining it. Would prefer patch pockets though. Thinking about getting a similar one in navy...I really like the RL black label version but can't see how it's worth 5x as much. http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/we...5269/25269.jsp
    Any recommendations for a tan/khaki jacket similar to the J. Crew Ludlow price point but that is half-lined?

15. gwolf

gwolf Senior member

my beater is from marks and spencer. a 2b cream linen solid w/ patch pockets. i rarely wear it. not much need for a jacket in my area.