• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Ditch the square and maybe swap in lace-ups for monks and I think this is UCBD.

HLZQG.jpg

Mj19z.jpg

x5pUG.jpg

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Just my opinion, but your spread collars shirts look better than the BD with your lapels & gorge height.

- M

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
Oh PG.....
- I know.. If only I had a Super Trust Fund
Originally Posted by TRINI
LOL.
If I could nitpick one thing about PG's recent PJ fits is that I'm not a fan of the narrower lapel.

- I agree & is an area that I have discussed with PJ, but as this is a MTM program there is only so much that can be done in the short term. Though with both Ethan & I persisting..
Originally Posted by aeglus
He took a pic after a day's work and the material picks up creases more easily than other materials (see my pics of how my suit looks before vs the hands in pocket of after a couple days of moving around).
- in this case yes & the light was very bad & there was only so much I can do PP
Originally Posted by ManofKent
+1 Still high res. photos, and processing always emphasise these things - in real life they wouldn't be nearly as apparant.
- correct, if I was to shoot with a basic P&S the image quality & detail would be vert pedestrian
Originally Posted by gdl203
No. Creases and long ripples are very different things.
- agreed
They are but both can be created after a day of moving around. That said, it'd be fair to ask PG if his suit pics are fresh or after a bit of play.
- end of day
I could be very (w)rong but I think he takes his pics first thing in the morning.
- usually
Originally Posted by edmorel
my jackets sag like taht when I carry my phone, wallet and other paraphenilia in the front patch pockets.
- correct

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
my jackets sag like taht when I carry my phone, wallet and other paraphenilia in the front patch pockets.

I keep my suit jacket pockets sewn shut so that I'm not tempted to carry anything in them. I carry a supper thin credit/business card wallet in my breast pocket and my keys and cell phone and other essentials in my briefcase.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Needed contrast in textures so wore a satin tie. Very difficult to capture the colors. By the way, I love the burgundy tie. What is it?
k7tqe.jpg
y49fi.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
2-3 red ties in about as many days? What changed the aversion?

They're not red.

cronicmole

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Not all that conservative business dress, and not what I wore today, but I know Manton loves a striped shirt with white ground ...

bluedot.jpg

bluedotboots.jpg

(That's actually the very shirt with white ground I was talking about earlier in the thread -- forgot I took a pic that day.)

Doc, if i walked thru your background I'd be scared of an axe murderer

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call me a marsupial, but what does conservative business dress stand for?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

tumblr_ljhgy8ORCd1qcq3abo1_500.jpg
tumblr_ljhgv0OHd11qcq3abo1_500.jpg

tumblr_ljhftnhNtB1qcq3abo1_500.jpg
tumblr_ljheowalQq1qcq3ab

(my own critique is that the button stance is a little too high, lapels too slim, leather wrist strap is extraneous, and I'm sure someone is going to take offense at the lack of belt)[/spoiler]

Nice look.

Originally Posted by Phat Guido

110411056.jpg

110411058.jpg
[/spoiler]

PG's squares have really influenced my preferences, starting back when I was just reading his Tumblr before I joined SF.

Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
34F6I.jpg

48fZJ.jpg

yYKlA.jpg

LEtAw.jpg
[/spoiler]

Lovely. Not sure if it's conservative business dress (as I understand it), but I'm not the arbiter of conservative business dress here

Originally Posted by ManofKent
20110411_detail.jpg

20110411_main.jpg

20110411_shoes.jpg
[/spoiler]

I have long favored the light gray suit/light blue tie combo. Manton, are light gray suits conservative business dress, IYO?

Originally Posted by Holdfast
ODwcJ.jpg
Can that much sheen still sit comfortably within the confines of conservative business dress? (Nice look, though!)

5610731158_51d2fbd621_z.jpg

5610147205_c10e31f7fb_z.jpg
fistbump.gif
Man, if only I'd posted my pics before I got to work, it would have looked like you were copying *me*

Originally Posted by Manton
HLZQG.jpg

Mj19z.jpg

x5pUG.jpg
I can't quite read what the pattern on the suit is. Looks sort of like a basketweave...

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
k7tqe.jpg

y49fi.jpg
Can't decide whether I think the all-blue allows the shirt to work in more subtly or if it's too much blue. I guess I should just move on...

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
St Crepin's Day
110412056.jpg

110412057.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads